Once more... Mauls

Looking at the Osborne maul, it looks very similar to the German tool.

WcC7Aai.jpg

Actually, now that I look more closely, the German website sells Osborne tools too. Wonder if it's the same maul. Price seems about right too.

A brass all thread and nuts, a couple rawhide dog chews and some leather washers and I think the guy over at Omega Leather could likely make a fine mallet!
:D
Chris

haha, yeah, omega is going into the maul bussiness ;)
as for getting one myself... i don't know... i'm on a budget and contemplating buying either a rawhide maul or a hammer. so far i am leaning towards the hammer because the are available in leighter weights.
i also saw a double sided hammer with replaceable rawhide "tips" on amazon yesterday.
anyways, if i'm getting either one i'll post here.
btw, the other shop has these poly mauls from craft japan:
http://www.ledermacher.de/produktansicht.php?id=676&kat=36&ukat=82
it doesn't say much more than polymer though.

Thank you all very much for your input and advice.
I am going to go ahead and get a couple of mauls to use, now to decide on which ones.

Leaning towards the standard hammer shape only because of familiarity.
Although, most every video you see, people are using the round mallets.
Everyone above seem to indicate they were their favorites as well.
Which brings me to my next question. Why the round maul ?

Is there some advantage to the rounded surface opposed to a flat one ?
Looking at them I can only guess that when leather was the only material used it was rolled and the side offered a better striking surface than the ends.
Yet even now with the polymer materials, youl see the round shape.
Is this due only to it being the traditional style or is there some functional benefit ?

Sorry for so many questions, but as a hobbyist I can not justify buying a bunch of hammers.
I do however prefer to spend more for a quality tool which will last many years opposed to buying cheapo's which will have to be replaced.

PS: Paul, if you haven't given away that maul but would like to, I could be coerced into accepting it :)

Thanks again,
Ed

I am going to go ahead and get a couple of mauls to use, now to decide on which ones.

Looking at them I can only guess that when leather was the only material used it was rolled and the side offered a better striking surface than the ends.
Is this due only to it being the traditional style or is there some functional benefit ?

Sorry for so many questions, but as a hobbyist I can not justify buying a bunch of hammers.
I do however prefer to spend more for a quality tool which will last many years opposed to buying cheapo's which will have to be replaced.

PS: Paul, if you haven't given away that maul but would like to, I could be coerced into accepting it :)

Thanks again,
Ed

this so much and in every way... the questions as well as the desire of a hobbyist to learn more. can i give you a like or a thumbs up somehow?

I'll reply within your quote to better answer your questions. :)

The round maul comes from woodcarvers. They make their own mallets out of solid wood in a tubular configuration so they can rotate the mallet to a fresh surface. Also the round configuration is much more forgiving of an off strike, I notice this a lot as I work between the two types of mauls. I use a flat face for small stamping and hole punching, when I hit the tool a little off center it drives the tool and my maul off from each other producing an uneven impression. An old wood workers trick is to point your first finger at the head, it somehow directs the hammer face more precisely. Amazing but true. Yes, I have worked wood for longer than I have worked leather
Gotcha answered above, actually its a little of both tradition and function. The polymer faces just simply last longer and dont deform as easily. I loaned out my wooden mallet to even out a leather classes numbers and it came back with quite a few divots, wood mallets are made to strike wood handles, pure and simple
Good thinking

Thanks again,
Ed

We have between us 2 Barry Kings, the Weaver one that Anthony mentioned and an Al Stholman. One BK is very old and I bought it from Weaver many years ago. Its a three pounder and is used only for punches etc. The Weaver one is handled in rubber which did take some getting use to but I like fine now. Its a 2lb one and I use that for all my tooling. Nichole has a 1lb BK and a 1 Lb (the flat head one that Dwayne described) Al Stholman. She much prefers the BK, it has a totally different balance than the Stholman one. All are poly headed. I use to have rawhide ones but they all wore out years ago. If I was looking to buy one right now I would look hard at the BKs. I like the Weaver one, it was a gift, but it simply is not as nice a tool.

I love that BK has both cylindrical and tapered models of each available. That taper works so well when working at odd angles. Also that taper in the handle towards the head, very good thinking. Keeps the hand off the metal bits, and easy to "register" the grip.

Pricing aint too bad either, but I'd say out of range for the casual crafter, and those of us with art supplies to buy constantly for my students. :p They are wonderful but put a little cramp in my budget. I wouldn't have it any other way though. :D

And, I'm considering a summer program! Glutton for punishment must be my mantra!

Yeah I've never used the tapered ones but it gets a guy a thinking. Don't know on the $, you buy a couple of deadblows that don't work out. You try something else that don't last and pretty soon you're up to that BK price. Onset is hard I know though. End result worth it.

if your into low buk options, i use a 16 oz dead blow hammer. its rubber headed and if you shake it you can hear lead ballast or something inside. nice quiet thud, no bounce and no tool damage. works fine for me. some day im sure i'll buy a nice maul until then i'm content with this. if you dont like it they are great for bustin walnuts open ..
JB

I think I will visit the Tandy store in Shreveport this weekend and try one of the round face mauls to see how it feels before I purchase. Nothing left then but deciding which variant and which maker I want. I can get the medium BK for $70, the medium Stohlman for $65 so they are comparable in price, just wish I could put both in my hands to compare the feel.

What about the Bear Mauls ? Seen a few good reviews for these, basic 21oz model $75, but they require a 3-4 week waiting period.

Again, my thanks to all for your willingness to share your opinions.

Both the Stohlman and the BK are well made, good looking tools. The difference, comparing my wife's two mauls, is a matter of balance. I see by your avatar that you are a swordsman. You will know how some swords feel "alive" and others feel like crowbars, yet their weight can be exactly the same. Kinda the same deal with her two mauls. Thats why she uses the BK it feels better. No experience with the Bear mauls.

SouthernComfort, a very good idea going and trying one out at Tandy. The one advantage they have is that they let you try out things like that before you plunk down the money. You may find that either you love the maul or hate it.

Dave, I agree totally on the balance analogy. I have knives and swords that just feel like an extension of my hand, same with some tools. Others feel like a slab of steel, nothing more. I will have to try one of those BK mauls someday, I'm still craving a one pounder. :)

Barry King, that's the one I was forgetting about! Can't tell you how many times I've looked at them, just have a lot going on and forgot. I think I'd already made up my mind on that one a while back. As always, Dave, thanks.

I probably could make a maul that might look passable (who knows how well it might work!), but if anyone around here could make one I'd say it'd be Dave. Renaissance man I tell ya.

Yes sir, I do understand the importance of balance, that is why I wish I could try them both. Sadly, I won't have that opportunity. I keep leaning towards the BK as I think I have read more good reviews on it than any other. My main reason for going to Tandy is to try the round face. Being able to try it is a big advantage and if I like the feel of it, I may come home with one.

Please do post what you discover, I do know that most stores have a few styles to test out, both hammer style and maul.

Please do post what you discover, I do know that most stores have a few styles to test out, both hammer style and maul.
The one in Fresno is great in that regard. You can use all of the stamps, whackers on a poundo, granite block with cased leather. They also have a small room for classes. I would like to get in on some of those one day.

10-4, I will post my findings. Hope to make it up this weekend, but we are in the middle of a week long deluge of rain (supposedly). If it is storming, I will likely put it off until better weather.

Tandy has the Stohlman Mauls on sale til the end of the month :) 50% off.

I like the feel of the hammer style one, but I have not tried the cylinder shape ones.

Why do people like the cylinder shape ?It feels like it would keep slipping off the side ?

FYI, If anyone was interested in the Shop Fox mallets sold by Grizzly, I got a flier today saying the heavier two mallets are on sale until July 31st. The 24 oz is now $9.95, and the 30 oz is a dollar more. (FYI, I have no affiliation with Grizzly or Shop Fox.)
Nice! Good info to think on. That looks like a very good time to act. Me included. :D
Tandy has the Stohlman Mauls on sale til the end of the month :) 50% off.

I like the feel of the hammer style one, but I have not tried the cylinder shape ones.

Why do people like the cylinder shape ?It feels like it would keep slipping off the side ?
Take a peek a few posts back, its answered there.

Back