Ontario 498M (Modified)

Saw these recently at a local big blue box store, noticed the handles were not black like all the 498's I'd seen before. Emailed Ontario and was told they are a special run only for that particular retailer.

Ontario Combat 498M (Modified)

With a regular 498 Combat Utility Knife

At first I thought the only difference was the unstained handle, but when I got them side by side I noticed the "Modified" (on the left) not only doesn't have a sharpened swedge, but they blade is full thickness to the tip.

Out of the box, the edge was nothing to brag about, but a few minutes on the sharpener and it shaves now. Great potential here for a field knife.

Some more information.

We offered Wal-Mart a modified version of both our 499 (JPSK) and 498 (USMC F/U) knives. Notice the lack of swedges, no fullers (bloodgrooves) non standard sheath, lower cost. We wanted Wally world customers to have Ontario products but not interfere with the existing Mil Spec knives and the existing pricing structure....The 498 Sheath is basically the same as the Mil Spec sheath but it is sourced overseas....it is still a quality sheath.
Putting these modded versions in Wal-Mart helps our bottom line and gets "Made in USA" product into the mass market big boxes.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

The 498 Sheath is basically the same as the Mil Spec sheath but it is sourced overseas....it is still a quality sheath.

I'll agree, I can't tell it from the sheath that came with my regular 498. Very heavy duty leather sheath!

Is this special run regional in any way, or is it possible for any outlet to have them?

Awww dang why did I have to see that! No swedge, nice thick tough looking blade... WOW. *Tries to resist*

No swedge and no fuller, does that make it a tougher knife for outdoor use? I'm thinking it does. Full thickness almost to the blade tip should make it tougher.

No swedge and no fuller, does that make it a tougher knife for outdoor use? I'm thinking it does. Full thickness almost to the blade tip should make it tougher.

At minimum, if someone is inclined to baton with it, it won't eat their baton alive like the fully sharpened version will!

The tip should be stronger certainly, but I like it more for the cleaner look. No fuller, plain tip makes for a subtle but interesting change. I also like the plain handle. They look good stained a nice deep brown, and getting the stock black off is a real pain. Did it once, never again if I can help it lol.

Back