ONTARIO CANADA knife laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pocket, fixed, length, design etc. if you know anything about knife laws in Ontario can you help me out please.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450773

To paraphrase cybrok, in the Criminal Code:
ILLEGAL: switchblades, push daggers, knuckle-duster knives, flick/gravity knives, concealed knives, etc.
LEGAL: non-prohibited folders, fixed blades, waves, thumb studs/disks/holes, serrations.

I'm not sure about balis. AO's seem to be technically legal (but too borderline for my comfort).

If anything you carry is intended for SD, it's automatically classified as a weapon, hence illegal. Concealing said weapon will only add to your woes.

Remember, local city ordinances may vary.

There's no actual legal limit on length in the Criminal Code: it's open to interpretation of intent, so be reasonable. Remember, in Canada, a legal knife is a tool only. Personally, as much as it pains me, I restrict myself to 4" around Hogtown. If I'm on-site in one of the downtown towers, I'll go so far as to carry just a multitool and leave the 4" deep in my pocket or backpack (I once had some paranoid secretary call security on me because she saw me walking the secure floor with a half-dozen phones in my arms). I don't get out much, so I'll let someone else tell you about the other insignificant parts of Ontario ;).

Cool thanks. By concealed do you mean I have to have all of the blade showing? How does this apply to a pocket knife/or a fixed blade? Thanks for your help.

Cool thanks. By concealed do you mean I have to have all of the blade showing? How does this apply to a pocket knife/or a fixed blade? Thanks for your help.

I'm not a lawyer or LEO, so don't take my word on the intricacies of concealment/brandishing. I do know this: hideaway knives, belt-buckle knives, sword-canes, and other knives that conceal/hide within seemingly innocuous objects will land you in a heap of trouble. They're considered weapons (probably because no law-abiding person would need to hide a tool).

Most of the Canadian knife laws I've read seem to be deliberately left open to the LEO's/Judge's interpretation of what you were doing or what they think you were going to do with that knife.

As to actual laws for carrying a knife on your belt or in your pocket, honestly, I'm still looking for that answer. Winter, summer, overcoat, dress shirt, t-shirt: I don't go out of my way to hide or display the knife I happen to be carrying. I carry a legitimate tool, I don't conceal a weapon.

Check out the sticky from the Canadian Connection. I know I'm not much help, but I can't quote laws I don't know :).

LEO are not idiots, well most of them.

A knife clipped in your pocket or in a belt sheath is not considered concealed.

As DonThomas said, belt-buckle, sword canes and blades that are meant to be hidden are considered concealed, so illegal. I'm not sure for HAK though.

A few things are in the grey zone because they basically were not invented when the laws were made, this counts for assisted openers, that are legal, but borderline.

Balisong (butterfly knifes) are illegal, unfortunately.

The flick thing is what bothers me the most, since almost any folder can be flicket open, except the one with springs.

I don't know if those laws count for keyring knives like mini-autos/balis with a blade under an inch...

As for what is legal in your town, I suggest you go to the police, and ask to see the exact written law, then make a copy and learn it.

The LEO always have the last word, so stay polite and calm if he asks to see your knife, don't try to be a smarta....

No doubt. When I go to my Dad's place on Superior up in Ontario, I leave the HAK at home. I bring a Subcom and a larger hunting-type folder or sheath knife. No one's ever batted an eye at either of them, but I only carry the larger knife in the bush. I saw a number of people carrying folders clipped to their pockets (including Eduras and such) while there, and even some sheath knives in the bush.

As a criminal defense lawyer here in the States, I spent some time looking at Canadian law beforehand, including case law. As a result of that research, I only carry knives that are unquestionably "tools" and that have no weaponlike characteristics at all when I'm in Canada.

Karambits like crazy out here. Not an issue.

I suspect the only way there would be an issue with a HAK (other than getting one of course) is when there is something else going on that's drawn attention to you.

Again, know your local bylaws, and have a good reason. ownership, carry, and importation are all three very different questions right now. But no restrictions apply to fixed blades apart from the knuckleduster rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back