Ontario rak

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
I just ordered one of these and wanted to know if there were any long term owners and what their thoughts on the knife are. It looks like a solid design but can't find many reviews on it and am wondering if it's because it's not that great, if there's better competition or it just not that popular. Maybe the spike on the back is polarizing? I know I will find out soon for myself, just wondering what the general consensus was and if anyone actually owns one!

P.s. I heard it is being discontinued but it shows up in stock on the Ontario website, any ideas? Also what would you consider its competition?

Last edited:
I have been happy with mine. I stripped off the coating, reduced the finger guard, and rounded off the glass breaker.

I have been happy with mine. I stripped off the coating, reduced the finger guard, and rounded off the glass breaker.

Nice mods! I might do something similar, going to see how much that finger guard gets in the way and how useful that spike is first though.

Last edited:
My inital impressions are: i like the overall design very much. I might end up taking down that finger guard though, it sticks out just barely too far and it would be just as effective taken back a tiny bit. The handle is alright, its a little rectangular for my tastesbut feels ok in hand. But the micarta scales are a little big , they stick out past the tang on the spine, i will probably sand them down and maybe round the edge of the scales a little while im at it. The glass breaker doesnt seem to get in the way, i think it would make a nicenlittle pry. Aesthetically it would look better withoht it though. The choil is a little bigger than neccessary but thats not a big deal. The blade itself is a beautiful spearpoint that looks very strong. I will update once i have had the chance to use it. Overall very happy with my purchase and the quality of ontarios products is great, especially for the price.

Last edited:
It batons very well and also carves so for a knife of this size i a very pleased!

Last edited:
Looks like the RAK with the serrations on the blade might be going bye bye.

Yes I broke down and got a RAK also, despite the 1095 blade. Its one of the few RD blades with a saber grind that brings out more capability over FFG blades. (That's Full Flat Grind for those who were wondering since I find most people who use such terminologies don't explain it and expect people to those who are suppose to be in the know of the bladeical talk and terms).

Let see looking at the RAK...

It has a nice blade profile, good spear point. Got a good sharp spine.

The Saber Grind really makes this what would be a sort or so so knife a great general purpose blade. Its not a ridiculous "Bush" style FFG RD sort. It seems it should do great general purpose work on wood when needed and it adds some decent work for better general purpose work. I can tolerate my 5160 RD blades that are FFG because they start with a 1/4" slab of steel that makes it chopping wood decently. Its a saber grind that makes knives like the BK 7 and BK 9 that can step up to do more with less it seems from seeing the way they are used and praised. A FFG on a big knife seems to sort of defeat its purpose for heavy wood performance. Hence my liking the SP-51 (that was sunsetted) and SP-53 despite them not having a thumping and whumping hilt. (reason I got an RD 9).

The seeming ridiculous sized choil acts at part of the hand guard it seems and really makes it very good for control WITH OUT slicing your fingers when doing the woodsy bushy stuff people seem to like to yak about how TRUE WOODSY they are. In other words CHOIL seems good the way it was designed and meant for more than one purpose it seems. The Choil on all the RD knives (not the TFI it has none) makes them do really good at bushy craft stuff even the RD 9 with their FFG. The RAK's also acts part of the guard to protect against finger slippage it seems also.

Handle...well decent I guess, some what short. Don't know where people say their "BIG Hands" barely fit it. My hands are medium sized and they barely fit it. But its enough to grip for using the knife for chopping or medium to light batoning. It seems to be able to do heavier batoning, which I wouldn't hesitate as OKC warranty would cover it but some companies like KA BAR don't. The handle is enough out of the way which some people don't think is important. The handles are narrower and such so this makes the knife seemingly more able to be controlled at least. And also it makes the knife LIGHTER and more balanced surprisingly. So all I can say is more thought was put in to this knife than I can say.

The Skull kill personer spike...er the "GLASS BREAKER" seems a bit overly big and spiky, but as shown earlier some people round it off. Its a bit pokey and such but probably adds to its versatility in the field for general purpose use. A sharp short spike can find use for good ground breaking or shallow would thumping and it should beable to thump them dang tent stakes in good enough.

The knife is LIGHTER than the other RDs I have so probably will be high jacked by my younger female relatives where their smaller hands would like it.

The Saber grind on the blade made me get it over an RAT FFG blade series. With it I think I cover the middling 1095 blade size knives with a blade that is more versatile than RATs. I like blades that are good to decent in all things not one knife to do this and another one to do that and another one to do the thing that is not this, or that and so on. For heavy middling knife though the only other OKC knife with a good thumping and wumping hilt is the RD TANTO. I use mine surprisingly more and more for that for tasks around some places in the woods and old farm stead. Yes my take one blade is my RD 7 because its big enough to do bigger things okishly and can still do bushy stuff ok, in other words a decent all round jack of all trades knife, but my RD Tanto has been riding along more and more with the RD7, I find its wroth the weight to carry. Also handy for the other people to use who come along on wilderhood expeditions. One person made a dang lean to with it after i finally caught up to them on the trail. (some times I like to take my time to see the sights, i also don't do forced marches to get from one point to another and not see any thing along the way) "Dang I need to get one of these!" he said. Now I may have to get a 3rd one...one was to go in to the bug out bag but it keeps getting raided for it...

So RAK good for general purpose all round carry and use. Some cons but Good points way put weigh the cons. Probably should of typed this first.

Last edited:
OK...was looking at the BK 10 for a middling knife...I looked at my other middling knives...again...grabbed the RAK and saw its spear point and saber grind and its .19 thickness. Its rear spike I found a use or two for and realized the RAK will do what I was looking at the BK 10 for and bonus of no thumb ramp. For disclosure yes I did get a few BK2s to fill the need I needed them for.

OK...that almost made me do another panic buy of the RAK...

I spotted on a few web sites that the RAK was discontinued till I saw it in the 2018-2019 catalogue.

I intend to get another of this very useful compact and dang efficient ALL ROUND use knife. Blade is heavy enough duty of a saber grind to do about every dang thing! The spike has made a must winter carry for me, ok...winter car carry but it comes out tied to the pack, then I need to take it off the pack...so I'm getting another one for a dedicated general purpose use knife. One will be stripped for cutting bigger things to littler things.

Looking over other knife blades like the "BK 12", BK 10 and BK 7 for a thinner middling sized knife with a saber grind, this time it was just comparison to the RAK. With what I stated earlier at an earlier time still holds true. The RAK has no get in the way thumb ramp, jimping and with its over sized choil it can really get in close for finer work. The "Glass Breaker" is a bit odd to get use to, but this winter it really worked well on Ice build ups. The Spear Point is another reason I like the RAK. So yes I got another RAK while I still could, for me that is. I was thinking to bob the pointy pommel part on one of the knives but that probably would remove one of its effective tools part of it I think. My box said production Oct 17 and it came with the "new and unimproved and down graded!" sheath. But the sheath holds the knife and it was a little cheaper than other RAKs that looks like had the older sheath.

The RAK like the RD Tanto in the RD line I think are some of the unnoticed gems in the RD Line.

The RAK like the RD Tanto in the RD line I think are some of the unnoticed gems in the RD Line.

I just picked up both of these, RAK & RD Tanto...definitely gems. The new sheaths do suck though. I prefer the older version over these for sure, but for the great prices I paid I went ahead and upgraded to kydex anyways.

I personally luv the stryker pommel of the RAK and its one of the main reasons I bought it. I weaved paracord through it to lessen its presence, but still allow it to be fully useful. I do wish the micarta was lengthened by 1/2" to an inch though. The RDT is just a beast and other than the sheath i wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
The RAK was a choice between another TFI or RAK, I chose the RAK seeing how my nieces grab my lone one when we go out on treks. OK they run around every where and I have to make the fire, cook the food, prep the marshmallows, clear a spot for them to sit... As they take all the "time" to look for the perfect marshmallow sticks and cut them with the "Uncle's Big Knives!". You should see them when their dad takes them out with 4 wheelers...

The RD Tanto is a great heavy use knife...I keep fighting the urge to round the corners off one of my 3, use to be 5 but gave two away, to make a drop point or spear point out of one to see how it would work out. But I got not the technical skill or tools to do it. So IF the tip breaks I might try it.

Yes the new sheath sucks but it makes it a bit cheaper.

Back