Opinions on a pre-owned Wilson Combat 1911

It appears that much of this forum is obviously about Wilson Combat knives, but I have a question about Wilson Combat 1911's. I figure there might be one or two people in this forum that may know something about them.

There is a local shop near me that has a Wilson Combat 1911 for sale. Price is $1600 and may even be a bit flexible. I got the serial number off it, called Wilson and found out some info. The gun was made by one of the gunsmiths as a personal build. At some point it was sold. It was built in 2002 and has the older tuff cote or armor finish. The guy I talked to indicated that the older finish was more time consuming to apply but was really good stuff. They had to update their application process as they needed to increase production rate. He also said this was built from spare parts, so it is not a specific "model". The closest thing he could think of was that it would be similar in parts to one of their California models. It may have some some non-bullet proof parts like the grip safety. I'm not sure if Wilson ever made or used MIM parts.

The gun is in beautiful shape and looks like it hasn't been shot much. Perhaps any of you who have experience with Wilson 1911's could weigh in on whether or not this would be a worthwhile 1911 to buy and what should I check on the gun before purchase? $1600 for a Wilson Combat? Here's a couple of crappy pics from the add. Anybody ever run into something like this?

WC1.JPGWC2.JPG

Its prob a basic cqb. What options was it built with. Also a round count would be nice but good luck on that one.
At 1600 thats about half of what you would pay for a new cqb.
You can always send to WC for a refinish and tune up. They can upgrade bullet proof parts

I wouldn't think twice, grab it, and send it in to Wilson for a once-over. That is a great grab right there.

Its prob a basic cqb. What options was it built with. Also a round count would be nice but good luck on that one.
At 1600 thats about half of what you would pay for a new cqb.
You can always send to WC for a refinish and tune up. They can upgrade bullet proof parts

Because it was built by one of the in-house gunsmiths from extra/spare parts there really isn't a build list like there would be for an actual defined model. My assumption is that as an in-house gunsmith there may the "perk" of getting to build your own gun once in a while. You can keep it or sell it. Sorta a bonus, if you will.

Hi! My CQB is a 2002 build & still going strong. In fact none of my other 1911's ever get carried anymore, because the Wilson has me spoiled. I don't think Wilson had Bullet Proof parts in 2002, but I wouldn't worry about it. I once called them & asked about replacing everything with Bulletproof internals & they asked, "Why? Is something broke?"

The grips look custom. Mine came with the checkered wood grips, but I replaced them with the Starburst G10s. $1600 sounds like a reasonable price for a Wilson in very good-excellent condition, but it's hard to tell without handling it & field stripping it for inspection.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I wouldn't pass up any Wilson regardless of model for 1600. Really can't go wrong.
I just now got a 1991-A2 transferred to me from a co worker. He apparently likes me, got it for 900 but I think it's easily worth near twice that.
Beautiful guns, full of good stuff.

I wouldn't pass up any Wilson regardless of model for 1600. Really can't go wrong.
I just now got a 1991-A2 transferred to me from a co worker. He apparently likes me, got it for 900 but I think it's easily worth near twice that.
Beautiful guns, full of good stuff.

Not to derail the thread, but... Why are the 1991's worth that much? I thought they were the econo version? Are you the guy on KT I spoke with earlier there?

Maybe so. The 1991's were the first ones that Bill built all in house. Prior to that he took Colt Frames and upgraded them.
They did sell for around 12 to 1500 back in the day and many still get that or more for them now.

They are his econo maybe but first class quality even by todays standards.

I had a Wilson Combat CQB Elite and it is a fine pistol, at twice the price you are looking at. Go get it.

P1020118-L.jpg

Back