order status and projects

I'll keep this updated as best I can.

orders:

matching bushcrafter set- got a bit delayed makign the mosaic pins and running out of micarta. But it's all handled on and waiting for sheaths.

Sgian dubh: tan canvas micarta- shipping

Sgian Dubh: final blade polish before bluing. this one gets ivory micarta scales.

Set: large bushbeater (WL tactical) design, exposed tang lanyard point, with pattern 2 necker to match. Waiting on more micarta. for handles, then sheaths.

Langseax (traditional)- osage orange scales. Glue up scales.

Bone handle wharncliffe- blade into next heat treating batch.

10" leuku (leukuchete style)- 2 tone handle, darker woods. Blade into next heat treat cycle

piggy back set with no sheaths- waiting for order confirmation

set of 3: sgian dubh, bushbeater (WL tactical), 9 inch modern langseax, all ipe, matching set. Rough forgings being worked on for the larger two.

Set: langseax (traditional): 13 inch blade, with 5.5 inch modern seax belt knife- preform forging on the longer blade.

PSK knives: some for orders, some for stock- 5 small necker sheathed, 2 medium necker cheathed, 3 medium belt sheathed.

Bird and trout.

small modern seax for horizontal belt carry. 3.5 to 4 inch blade. With a hair more leaf shape to the blade and a slightly dropped edge, this one should work out wonderfully as a backup tactical.

Modern seax combat mod. 6-7 inch blade, thicker stock, more shape to the front of the handle area, micarta scales. Sheath rigged for inverted carry option, expedition style. The expedition sheaths are getting more and more firmly set on being MOLLE/PALS compatible. the belt hanger straps are 1 inch leather, but I'm working on exact spacing of the horizontal straps.

some other stuff:

british style naval dirk- still final sanding before I do heat treat

kindjahl variant- rough sanding after forging and grinding then HT.

Last edited:
updated. I wonder if I should break it out and use first initial or something for the orders so people can figure out what's up?

If you really want to try to keep this section accurate, try giving out an order number. Though it does have the potential to get complicated. :)

hrm, then i get all confused with serial number and order number. And orders don't always go in order due to similarity or special materials ordering or even forging versus grinding weather!

The field dirk is getting along. It's a spanish dirk style (similar to a gaucho) with a straight spine and a long slim belly. I was looking at a 7+ inch blade, but it's just going to end up in the 8 to 9 inch range. I'm doing a few full tang ones, but might work on building them with a through tang and a D guard.

One thing I've bene wanting to do but haven't gotten to is a utility dirk- I'm a fairly avid utilikilt wearer, and those fancy dress Scots dirks don't work well. I haven't made one yet, but I'm pondering an elongated spearpoint, single edge, with a full through tang handle. Say about 5.25 on the handle and 9 on the blade.

I could learn to love you man. :D

I'm a big fan of the UtiliKilt (although I only have one :confused:). Just yesterday I was wondering if I could get you to make me a Sgian Dubh.

Not some pansy-ass piece of crap like you find in the tourist shops in Auld Reekie; but a real Sgian Dubh. Like the one carried by Rob Roy MacGregor. The real guy, not the F'n movie. I saw the real Rob Roy's Sgian Dubh in a case in Sir Walter Scott's residence (Abbotsford in the Borders). It was about 5" long and looked quite capable. Make mine 4+" and pointy.

Ebony?

A dirk would be righteous.

(I didn't see my Wharncliffe in the above list. Are we still doin' that one?)

Ooops! yeah, I was working ad hoc, the order board has about 5 more on it that I need to put in there. Including the Wharnie.

Yah, I was thinking about the Sgian Dubh, too. full spearpoint, 3.5 to 4.5 with a thinnish handle. Ebony would work, but black walnut might, too. (I was thinking of doing the dirks in osage and blued steel pommel and hilt)

I love the idea of blued steel for the dirk, and why not for Sgian Dubh as well? In my book, you can never go wrong with Osage, great wood.

I believe Sgian Dubh translates to 'black knife', hence the Ebony idea. I think the 'black' element was not a handle color, but rather refers to the sinister nature of the knife as it was often hidden. Later it was displayed as a dress up item stuck in a stocking.

If you want to make one, I'll take it. :)

I've got a few front burners to get through, but yeah, I think I can work that out. Need to research the blade patterns a bit more, too

Hey, Christof. I'm the one who ordered the knife based on the first knife you ever forged (not sure if it has a name or not:D), with the green paracord handle. Which one on your list is that one?

-Adam

forged green river. It's all but done with the sheath, I should get a photo of the knife up huh?

some updates. There's actually about a half dozen pattern 2 neckers NOT on this list, and another dirk that I heat treated this evening that also isn't.

I'll try to get more project photos in the picture thread soon.

Cbryant has one of the neckers. He'll get photos soon, I imagine. I'll have another one photgraphable tomorrow. They are sort of a mini-puukko style of necker. narrow 2.5 to 3 inch blades and OAL around 6 inches. Sorta pushing it for a necker by my normal measure (the twofinger neckers are only ~4.5 OAL) but really sweet design.

the goal with them was to have a small woodcarving and fine utility blade.

There's a THIRD pattern- the Pub Necker, but I'm still working on the ergonomics of that one.

Back