order status and projects

That last one is a beauty!

Any word on a Simplicity or a Simplicity blade blank kit? I'd really dig one.

Simplicity blades SHOULD heat treat today. I've got this giant pile of stuff to heat treat, and I've already done 2 runs this week! insane!

2011-04-16-0002.jpeg

Someone's bolochete!

And a sneak peek at a masur birch leuku. Someone has first refusal on this, but it will go on the available page if the first refusal is taken. Runic chisel work translates to Oleg en, Lifi eg. - Roughly, "And still, I live"

2011-04-16-0004.jpeg

The farm knife- just a regular drop edge puuko EDC (7 or 7.5 OAL, have to go measure after the FIFTH oil soak), but done with a full forge black blade and ~1200 year old bog oak. Brass pins are patinad to match the whole package. This one is pretty cool.

2011-04-16-0011.jpeg

a custom design I'm working on- this one's going into the regular list of stuff to make, modulo standard creative variations. While I generally dislike this butt profile, it's working out very well for a dedicated chopper.

2011-04-22-0002.jpeg

2011-04-22-0003.jpeg

2011-04-22-0005.jpeg

2011-04-22-0006.jpeg

one of the ordered runed leukus (blackfox, yours is going to be pictured later today, this one is shorter)

2011-04-22-0009.jpeg

2011-04-22-0010.jpeg

This is about 1/4 of what I'm currently working on, if I seem rushed or behind on email responses:

2011-04-22-0008.jpeg

It's so cool to catch a glimpse of a maker's workshop. To see where things go from raw form to partway finished to gleaming sharp beauty is really great.

Christof,

I think I spy my set in that pile!

And that Modulo looks.. just.. MEAN. Like a field battle cleaver. As soon as I saw the tip/front half of the blade I knew I was going to love it. Please add that to your regular line so that I may purchase one when I'm done course. :D

Keep up the great work!

Brad

Wonder if that smaller Great Basin knife has my name on it?!

Any more pics of your works in progress?

I can't wait to get my Simplicity blades and I'd love to see what else you've got up your sleeve.

Beautiful knives. How do you achieve the blackened blade finish?

I use 3 different darkening finishes, depending on steel, "brightness", and ability for the user to touch up.

birchwood-casey cold bluing gives an "old time" look. Brownell's oxpho-blue is amazing stuff, best cold blue ever.

the matte black is gunkote. Gunkote is a spray on, bake on finish. It's got some embedded moly super whatsit that really helps with moving parts, which we aren't so worried about. It's a good rust preventative, and you can epoxy over it. But you have to be fairly anal about following the curing directions!

note to all, I had a MAJOR computer crash and am currently behind approximately 238 emails, and am still finding all the bits to my spreadsheets

I'm still having camera connection issues on the new computer. and I'm WAY behind for some other reasons.

Your knife is almost done, as are a few others, but I need to get a solid weekend of work done with NO HOSPITALS and I'll be good.

I got my computer software compiled to the point where I can sort of talk to my camera again now. yay.

I now have to catch up on a few photos, but in the meantime- I have held SEVERAL "scalpers" over the years, used a few. The point of a scalping knife, aside from the obvious details, is a fine edge, good tracking (broad blade) and a comfortable grip.

But these, the examples I've handled, always have much smaller and thinner grips than my normal style.

So, I managed to adjust thing a bit, this is definitely a lower profile handle for the size than I'd normally do, but it's definitely comfortable:

447-0002.jpeg

447-0003.jpeg

447-0004.jpeg

Back