Osprey K&T Comparison photos

Part 1

Since I have begun designing and making my own knives, I have noticed my relationship and how I view them has changed. I look and analyze every blade I pick up, I make mental notes of what I like and dislike, what I find useful or just redundant. As I use and analyze my designs in other areas I also use the same approach, Somewhere along the line all of these experiences and mental notes coalesce and manifest themselves in my designs.

You and a handful of others deserve a little bit of the credit, by sharing your thoughts and preferences which expanded my understanding and took me outside of my previous understanding.
I had never intended the Raptor to become a primary kitchen knife but I was happy to evolve the pattern to compliment the usefulness in this area

The handle clearance and angle of the "Attack" as you put it is the foundation I have been using to design these new variants and profiles.
I don't really have a set formula in relation to designing knives. I do draw inspiration from the things around me, a lot of them not even being knife related, such as animals, other tools, cars, firearms etc... It is more of a creative expression at first, with the mindset and intention at the forefront. After I brainstorm and idea I then I break it down and refine each part in relationship to it usefulness and overall aesthetic value to the completed piece. Sometimes the designs come out effortless and other times It is a challenge to convey ideas to matter. After I am pleased with the general shape and purpose of a knife I will start to sketch a template, once I get a design on paper I transfer it to a piece of 1/8' Micarta and profile it out. Sometimes after I do this I immediately go back to the drawing board other times I need to take a little bit of here and a little bit of there so it feels right in the hand.
I usually carry this stencil around for a few days playing with it and studying it, mimicking the intended application. Once I am satisfied with all of the above, only then will I transfer it to steel.
I am always analyzing and refining my designs new and old, the longer the profile has been around the less I tend to tweak it, some designs I have made have need very little tweaking from conception, I guess it is just how the dice roll.

[/B]

Chris,

I really appreciate you for taking the time to explain to us so how your design process flows from research to brainstorming to sketching to scribing & profiling a micarta pattern that you carry and evaluate for changes before making actual knives. That makes perfect sense to me. The way you explained so clearly makes it easy to understand. This makes me appreciate the subtleties of your designs even more.

Thanks for taking the time to share this info with us. I'll add comments about the exciting new designs in a separate response on the thread.

Phil

First off, I'd like to thank Chris for sharing the thought process when it comes to creativity and designs. Like Phil, I really appreciate hearing how you go from idea to steel.

Secondly, I wanted to thank Phil for his well thought out list that clearly defines what makes a desirable knife for him. I couldn't agree more when you said that everyone has different qualities that they look for that might suit their uses/ needs and physical features like hand size.

I'd like to point out a set of anecdotal examples based on first impressions by non-knife users to further illustrate this point. Both my girlfriend and my mother are both very supportive of my knife using/collecting hobby, but don't really pay much attention to the differences. To them, they do have opinions on which ones are attractive, but don't scrutinize the other details very much. I do notice, however, occasionally one of them will pick up a knife from my collection and I see a flicker of that "lightning in a bottle" feeling Phil so accurately mentioned.

For my mother, my 3/32 hiking buddy is that lightning in a bottle. Shes looked at and handled dozens of my custom knives, but only on that 3/32 SFT hiking buddy has she ever actually said anything. She looked at me and said.. WOW. This one is nice. Her eyes light up and she proclaimed, "this one fits in my hand so perfectly."

Another example is when camping with my girlfriend. She's had to use my knives enough to the point where she knows I take certain designs for certain types of trips. She's also slowly learned a few of the grinds for intended tasks, but not enough to regurgitate facts the way many of us would. She has her own helle knife, which is lightweight, smaller, and well crafted. It's a fine blade. But I noticed any chance she needs a knife, she reaches for MY 1/8 SFT scandi woodlore clone by Aaron Gray. Even when I have better slicers around, she always goes for that one. To me, that indicates hand comfort in that design that just works well for her.

My point of bringing this all up-
1)I enjoy seeing descriptors from the community, such as Phil's list, that actually define the traits you look for when purchasing a knife, and comparing them to my own uses, needs, preferences
2)I'm sure it helps Chris and other makers advance their craft to see this level of feedback
3)In the name of science, I believe it advances us, even in something like knife usage and ownership, to a point of constant improvement

I really appreciate that Chris has been so active, vocal, and involved in our community here to create tools for us.

I hope Phil doesn't mind, but I'm going to piggy back and use his list as a template to fill out my own data.
Blade Features:

Steel choice in order of preference based on actual experience ranked from left to right (left is #1): Sandvik/AEB-L/ [scary edge taking, quite stainless, solid edge holding, reasonably tough] , CPM 154 are my favorites, A2, s35vn. I do not like 3V or S30v because of their resistance to field sharpening in my experiences. S35vn seems difficult to field sharpen but not AS difficult. 1095 and O1 are a lot of fun for me, but because I live in a rain forest they rust if I look the wrong way and it's a lot of difficulty to keep up with.

Steel thickness: 3/32”almost exclusively, 1/8” for some, 5/32” for none, 3/16” for none.

Tang Type: Tapered tangs preferred. Skeletonized full tangs in thin steels are ok.

Grind Type: Convex grinds with a secondary bevel, then Scandi, then FFG, then scandi-vex.

Guards: I prefer guardless blades. I agree with Phil. I also don't like blades where the front of the guard extends below the back of the cutting edge. This is something that I'd change on a handful of knives if I could.

Finish on Flats: I really fell in love with Chris' hammered flats or satin/polished flats. I like how the forge does the spalting, but it's not my #1 preference.

Blade profiles: My favorite is a drop point. I've also slowly taken a liking to nessmuk style blade shapes, but I'm still a drop point guy mostly. I dislike trailing points and wharncliffes. I like spear point style (like wolflores) for wood applications, but for food prep ( a huge portion of my duties) I find that Phillip (M4Super90)s assessment on the area of attack holds very true and spearpoints become less useful for food prep in long, straight blade shapes with straight-ish handles.
Handle Features:

Shape of spine: Very slight arch or straight.

Shape of bottom: Shallow curves - I still need to do some observations and testing on this. I haven't made up my mind.

Pommel shape: I'm pretty open for pommel shape as long as I have enough room for my whole hand. There are a handful of models I've purchased that end too abruptly for my hand size that make them instant no-dice for me.

Balance: Neutral balance is ideal.

Cross section: Because I adore thin steel blade stock, I've noticed most of my handles are very very thin. In EDC roles, I like this feature because they ride comfortably in pocket or a slim sheath. I can make quick cuts and don't need to commit a full tight handed grip. In larger blades, or camp use knives, I still want thin steel blade stock, but thicker handles. I have yet to find this, and this is next on my list. I get a lot of hand fatigue on the thin handles when doing extended wood carving. This is where a lot of the wood lore style clones with coke bottle shapes excel for me.

----------------------

To close on this comment, I wanted to point out that I now have my first OKT, and I'll be doing a review later today or tomorrow in the Osprey Reviews thread to highlight on some of this type of content in more depth, as well as post more pictures and action-adventure shots :).

Last edited:
Cool information gentlemen. I wish I could narrow down very specific preferences so I would stop buying and trying knives. I really can't tell much until I have something in hand, but there are many knives that I look at in photos and specs and just say "no."

Give me an edge sharpened and appropriately polished to what I will mainly be cutting, a good heat treat, a profile reasonably specific to task and I find most full grip knives comfortable and capable. I will say that while I make do, I do not like overly thin handles on any size knife. A custom tool for me needs to "feel" like a custom shaped handle and not like I'm gripping a broom stick or socket wrench.

I like a variety of steels. I cannot say I have developed any preferences here over carbon steels on up to the super steels that I have tried. I like patinas, I like clean steel, I like field honing O1 into a razor, and I like the edge stability of my knives in 3V where you can be rough with it for a few days without worrying about a touch up.

In knife handles, I lean towards synthetics but will also buy, carry, use wood. Shadetree burlaps have been good to me. I have not had any of the movement issues reported (knock on wood) and my knives will get wet. I love the texture change it undergoes. Micarta is always a favorite, closely followed by g10 and CF varieties. I also love me some Ironwood, Osage, African Blackwood, some cuts of Oak and Maple. I can get into lots of trouble here with all that is available.

I envy you guys who pick one profile, handle, steel and do all with it. My one saving grace is the concept of a "grail" knife does not apply to me. I am not married to any one knife so the collection fluctuates. I like this modus operandi in my knife buying habits as it allows me to try new things. My main problem is that I tend to hold the ones I do not intend to use longer than I should. Hoarding comes to mind here.

Ultimately, the end user is in control of performance given a properly crafted tool.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years, posting very little and purchasing even less. I always find people watching at the airport an intriguing way to pass the time between flights and find similar interest in the draw to specific blades while on a knife search "layover".

I have to say I'm right there with Phil on most every preference and seeing these comparisons is really solidifying leaning towards a Mamushi or Raptor.

Overall. I like a 50/50 balance of blade and handle with the majority of my interest in the 8-9" OAL.

Blade Features:

Steel thickness: I appreciate 3/32 and 1/8. To me, it leans towards refinement. Yet I really like the beef of a 5/32” Fiddleback Kephart I own.

Tang Type: Tapered tangs preferred as i like the visual balance of the steel.

Grind Type: Convex or flat grinds. Scandi doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Guards: I'm with Phil.... I don't like when the guard extends below the back of the cutting edge.

Finish on Flats: Textured flats are a plus for me as well. Nothing crazy though... And never polished

Blade profiles: Again with Phil but for me drop points are #1.

*Deal Killer: The dreaded "dead space."

Handle Features:

Shape: Phil nailed it.... The within reason arched spine and shallow “m” curve bottom. Looking down the handle I like a more oval shape. It could possibly be slightly exaggerated.... Most certainly less round broomstick.

Material: I lean towards the contrast of a darker wood against steel. Natural and warm offsetting a cold alloy. I'm also a sucker for carbon fiber.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this forum for a few years, posting very little and purchasing even less. I always find people watching at the airport an intriguing way to pass the time between flights and find similar interest in the draw to specific blades while on a knife search "layover".

I have to say I'm right there with Phil on most every preference and seeing these comparisons is really solidifying leaning towards a Mamushi or Raptor.

Overall. I like a 50/50 balance of blade and handle with the majority of my interest in the 8-9" OAL.

Blade Features:

Steel thickness: I appreciate 3/32 and 1/8. To me, it leans towards refinement. Yet I really like the beef of a 5/32” Fiddleback Kephart I own.

Tang Type: Tapered tangs preferred as i like the visual balance of the steel.

Grind Type: Convex or flat grinds. Scandi doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Guards: I'm with Phil.... I don't like when the guard extends below the back of the cutting edge.

Finish on Flats: Textured flats are a plus for me as well. Nothing crazy though... And never polished

Blade profiles: Again with Phil but for me drop points are #1.

*Deal Killer: The dreaded "dead space."

Handle Features:

Shape: Phil nailed it.... The within reason arched spine and shallow “m” curve bottom. Looking down the handle I like a more oval shape. It could possibly be slightly exaggerated.... Most certainly less round broomstick.

Material: I lean towards the contrast of a darker wood against steel. Natural and warm offsetting a cold alloy. I'm also a sucker for carbon fiber.

Thanks for chiming in. It's nice to hear from you. I'd say that a lot of us found Chris because he tends to build his blades with a lot of these traits in mind, and I'm not surprised to find so many of us sharing a lot of common desired specifications!

Hey Chris,

I love how you adapted Phillip’s (M4Super90) layout technique and used it effectively to explain your design intent with the three variations of the Raptor. The text and photos flow very well together to show the differences in handle angles and where you envision the sweet spot of the edge being in a normal angle of attack for cutting a steak or other food prep type tasks.

The Gen 2 “K” Raptor design is an exciting development to me. When you first mentioned you were playing around with new ideas for a King Raptor, I expected that you were going to introduce a longer and taller “K” variant. The fact that you are refining the design within the same size envelope is a “K”ool surprise. I can’t wait to see how the finished version turns out. Temptation to buy one will be a given for me.

Phil

Part 1
I think for me this was the most useful and insightful part of your thread (reference M4Super90’s post on Page 3) , it allowed me to zero in on a certain task, as well as relaying a scenario and setting that was familiar to me and easily recreated.

I took it upon myself to recreate your photographs with the 3 Raptor Variants I currently have.

Original Raptor profile as pictured above:

Hosted on Fotki

(K) Raptor:

Notice how the contact portion of the blade is brought back and more in line with the natural cutting edge of the blade. The handle is also raised up in relation to the original Raptor. But the way I arrange the handle, it is actually more in line with the natural angle providing a less acute angle grip of a Kitchen/Personal Dining knife.

Hosted on Fotki

(K) Raptor Gen2

This profile expresses these traits more than the 2 above, bringing the cutting edge closer to a more useful and centerline contact point, The handle angle on this profile actually deviates farther upward in relation to the other two, but if you notice in the photo above it actually lessens the angle of back portion of the handle even more in relation to the cutting edge, cool little optical illusion and geometry trick I figured out with the Original Raptor Design that when it manifested itself in the trailing point, but the tip being still centerline with the indexing of the handle. I took these lessons along with the information from you guys and provided above and came up with these 3 variations.

Hosted on Fotki

Chris,

Here are a few more comments on your Raptor design post from Page 4.

Kudos to you for the awesome job you did laying out these photos. They clearly show the differences between the handles on the three Raptor variants. The checkerboard pattern of the mat provides an effective frame of reference so that the user can visualize how all the curves of the blade will work together, both ergonomically in-hand and in relation to where the edge meets the cutting surface.

I especially like the stack-up photo at the end that shows how the blade shape is consistent across all three variants despite the differences in handle angles. That photo will help people decide which Raptor variant is best suited for their personal uses. Of course, Raptor addicts like me will choose all of the above…

Thanks again for sharing your design approach with us. :thumbup:

Phil

Part 1
The pictures below help better explain the relationship between the handle and the cutting edge I was explaining above.
I arranged these templates in the position I designed them to be oriented and used in relation to the cutting surface

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

The last photograph here I line the templates up as Phil(Comprehensivist) did in a prior post to illustrate even though the handle and blade relationship has changed the blade shape remains virtually Identical

Hosted on Fotki

Chris,

Custom steak knives might prove to be a nice niche market for you, especially with your meat-loving native Texan fan club here.

The features that initially appeal to me about these design concepts are the upward tilt of the handle angle, taller handle height at the ring & pinky finger section, and the rounded pommel shape.

Even though I have stated that I am not a huge fan of Wharncliff shaped blades for most things I do, there is something about the small one on the bottom that tells me that would be the tool to have if I ever take up sheath making. It strikes me as an EDU-like blade shape with a more utilitarian handle that would allow me to take advantage of the blade edge from tip to plunge line.

I will be watching to see how these designs translate into finished knives before I draw any final conclusions.

Thanks again Chris for sharing your brainstorming process.

Phil

Part 2
Farther down the rabbit hole, in direct response to your post. I had been playing with these Ideas for awhile prior to your post but you post made a lot of things click into place for me. Or at least this in my interpretation of a more personal dining oriented knife.

I decided to separate this from the rest of the post and my prior response. Playing around with the Raptor design gave me the Gen2 I have not gotten this on steel yet, so I am not 100% positive I will keep the changes until then. I am confident I will like the changes and view them as improvements once I have one completed. But I think this is the last of the major design changes to the Raptor linage for now.

Your chosen focus got me thinking of designing an entirely different knife geared more to personal dining, such as cutting steak and vegetables in a seated position.

The (K) Raptor performs well in the standing position but when seated at a table preparing to dine, I thought I could make something more appropriate and ergonomically pleasing.

I could have settled for a more generic run of the mill shape but where would the fun in that be. I plan on coming up with some more generic designs in a later date for those who don't find these lines appealing.

The First two pictured here are primarily Personal Dining/Steak knives.

The last and smaller one straddling more along the lines of the (K) variants with a focus not entirely in the Kitchen. More like and EDC paring knife if there is such a thing

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Dang, Phil beat me to the post. Sorry for the delayed response but I have been tied up with work.

Chris, Thanks for taking so much time and putting such obvious though into a very detailed answer. I find your process quite fascinating. A couple of things stand out to me:

After I am pleased with the general shape and purpose of a knife I will start to sketch a template, once I get a design on paper I transfer it to a piece of 1/8' Micarta and profile it out. Sometimes after I do this I immediately go back to the drawing board other times I need to take a little bit of here and a little bit of there so it feels right in the hand.

I usually carry this stencil around for a few days playing with it and studying it, mimicking the intended application. Once I am satisfied with all of the above, only then will I transfer it to steel.
I find this quite interesting. Does that become your template from then on? How do you infer what the handle will feel like with scales? Or, can you just tell from outline?

You and a handful of others deserve a little bit of the credit, by sharing your thoughts and preferences which expanded my understanding and took me outside of my previous understanding.
I had never intended the Raptor to become a primary kitchen knife but I was happy to evolve the pattern to compliment the usefulness in this area

I’m glad we can contribute in a meaningful way, but I kind of think of it more like the old Looney Tunes where the Road Runner and Coyote go over a cliff and only the Coyote falls while the Road runner holds up a sign that says “I never studied law”. I have no idea how to design a knife but I find it entertaining to figure out why one vs. another performs well in my hands.

What Phil pointed out is absolutely true. Small variations make huge differences even with the same knife between different users. Here’s a picture of my Patch and Leuku as Phil posted. I’ve got about and extra ½” in that dimension of my palm and while I would absolutely prefer the rear edge be rounded or beveled, my palm cups it more and it does not hit me the same way. I very much appreciate the beveled rear on you smaller knives.

The spot the Patch hits me:

xnPfUuCzULV9TkqzVfxB9j-mjGfms9gnhfADqAdCZyimq81DRCx2h1ysHrVDvRlHmFH4isRavcJxHtmqPaSWHxJiU28UZDH9Z3GVoxHgeLoiy08IiqxxSUBi_r6Hef3Mfl3CUrl-8oTHw8mcP7A6ufst8qb6Fzp0IZlL5Wr9Z8e8uLoR472bDa1dH6rWNALOEB3_o2iBOXJlHHhBVpgZq-y7N9mjdg0uZbW19wIwwovcl5daO91zCwoUsVhWOrwtw4--vVIWN8uvn7IoJghZTulT2sxqbyz6TT3fDBaLB0C-WkWx-3E0mHY3q3ngN-dUsuUrXlFA2TiuIebjAxMTozje7pHtcvOF5QjXBky4gRqiQZ0cdseWd7vxvSBPe0bT6RoJEauoAx4XWciQ_9BzXMD0l3UO-lf7P1dnqiWBZRYUVaCohjYdt4xK8j4G5g1PUWesTovSMTlbbyBAPQigKrpYOqseESJY8BE-Ma1I38vjcNBBw8klqy2BFtN5tSTZpTGR1EgKw8fv3Tqu2_Lg8TvjShz0-qBOX5Vh5dLI5DsbVtvJsYNY72tu9CaQ3-sSWFE7FrOQkCR-T8GMkSO5dZ5z9HASoe5l7c4vO5e0GCtcIYqVoGmg=w969-h945-no

The amount of the Leuku that come through the hand

XpqhOuTlXKJrfYhmcP9gzfG9x5DFVBENYRAgUmgq3-OV-bO1iM4lA6RNamnn5vtS9qzI5jeDPQMGYBLHPO9EvXeC_G6rX9kpBoorb-3AbynBpMDFeqFs0_cF2nAbimtrEj6ORbvL0ToYUXjJM6FcppqilvWEHVBEIElWOYG1To355Uad3U83DhB7tU_AiJPEVX24tiiiV3UK6uqQm2pPp6mfs_kp3fZsDGy8yQx373zkviJwQadZbdf4xQCjw5h5q60UqjsgkGKEfBBAxHYGIlpk5fzYy8RsvdxkO947XQmy_NVcar3MkUx8ADl1KdVafE7cuoK1FPyL9BiCgJaHWtcQaMO0JZ2JoiCqygMyl18mXTWfHmEq9UN3-GvXty6xk2_onp65gH-3dZuJ8Wa2WZ3X3JoSAI36Y1Kv4g4Py58RvWY86lrRECHGGyhJObWACdfI-x_8tkX_hlZf8JQ_jCWfHIlCS34auPYUUydXFoDRFb-tSgiIiQ6IfYdnfCRcYxs1lsESCo5U728GM0HCod4_KUw4TsrMXAmswe32DssFvcfl_07OpLnlNU_Y9wbYWiJ42BWcT2pN-e2rP_QI7ZITUmJDE40RAHVvDShziIc_ytcx=w673-h945-no

As Phil stated, This is a great picture. Your variant templates overlayed on the gris show nicely the differences in the grip angles and would be very useful to include in your “model line-up” thread.

Part 2 I could have settled for a more generic run of the mill shape but where would the fun in that be. I plan on coming up with some more generic designs in a later date for those who don't find these lines appealing.

The First two pictured here are primarily Personal Dining/Steak knives.

30511226970992-vi.jpg

32511226912751-vi.jpg

I think this is the one that excites me the most. The slight curve up at the tip reminds me of a Global GS-5 that I’ve had forever. The blade profile allows the angle of the wrist to change as the blade is drawn back and is extremely comfortable. I prepped vegetables for years with that exact profile and I think that is what I would try first. I agree with adequacy about the field serviceability of the 3V, but when you can use good sharpening a equipment there’s a lot to be said about 3V. I’m a fan, and excited to see it in some of your new options.

Custom steak knives might prove to be a nice niche market for you, especially with your meat-loving native Texan fan club here.

Thanks a good one!.... :D:thumbup: and it's nice the template is already burnt orange.

Texas_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

The template overlays are extremely helpful, especially when you get into the 'x' variant knives.

Here is a pic of Douglas' Hunter along side his Apache. I may have missed the descriptor between the two models, and I had always thought of the Apache as a slightly scaled down, less beefy Hunter. Seeing the two profiles side by side was very telling and showed me that while similar they are both different in their functional design. Chris mentioned to me handle families recently and his goal to design some knives that while having different intentions in use, they retain that tactile feedback one grows accustomed to while using a single tool over a longer period of time. You see this in the Apache --- Hunter --- Ranger profiles that share the design element with handles very closely similar in shape and feel, giving you a sense of familiarity when switching between knives.

33323624880_9df7984354_c.jpg

Last edited:
A quick review of a recent acquisition. This knife appeared as "One Off #2, 3/32" (.100") CPM154 Tapered Tang, Double Black G10 over Black with Blue accent liner (Sandblasted), CF Lanyard Tube and Pins, OAL 6 1/4", Blade 3", 2.88oz" in the 3/22/17 sale thread. Chris described it as "All of the one offs are smaller than the Mamushi... are very similar in dimensions to the Mamushi but with a much shorter blade and handle". Not sure what drew me to this blade, but I could see exactly where my index finger goes when using a "skinner" type grip.

One off #2
NYrbSNTwWPWgaqrLyghthuYddkozb1A0c1ws6ITh8Bxl9ZR94xuW_JFWbfLMUZrpb31coEtDrYhF40Z53lawfu7Zfoq5rwNA7M3_oGRR3xb9GSpt1mU3WB0nElMGpd2wyEF9JB866VpcsheZPq7J-QaV5uoDkfsjPvH-vZETFSIZmO2lfjto6RJ7gjU3qsxLn8grARS0UWS29VVrM6TeKoFrZ6WnguAgElCJ2AJVsGgUSOtkvroMt96vUDIq1AfhvHwR2-yqlyWaXZCgnkJnoFJWAtEQHbn2XAbP-RQBNQgeaxQl6lyabcozY09eku7jghz_3QdMNsPzbf1sKFbwteCZCavkEfP8YfKsofdzb-30mU53C3ZQri2tST6QAVcYYxY5XUHaIUzsPo4QC-nPn0VrFoa18rOF8sEk9nlRdJodqoSmVU_caPQhXxMbixd832JNejTqQz1iavY1ei6GkskKlADK9vFhC_lk2efrJsthC3immBIZoPH-Zt7xbyamiRL9RLeGpqy8xJnFHqaZnOjOZV5XclqeNBZVutcBvm9yzimbWhz7OFyT5ZQ1CtxrNPzh8Didjiplu_XXVMr4KmOTByLkB2VhoUP2Sw81v6l05Azo=w1024-h571-no

No bones about it, this is three finger knife for me. The Mamushi-esque pommel makes it very comfortable. I really appreciate the fact that Chris takes the time to polish the flats on all his knives. This one is particularly nice in that respect. Fit and finish are monotonously exceptional. The blade geometry is a little different than the Mamushi, which I like. Here's some pics to show the comparison.

One Off #2 with the Mamushi
5rkIq-vdw7eBicP7kqT8RO_-ivpLsfHwcAzBaZaHw6_BDZwEZyIUD09wG5F8nejJYpiPJ-PF4v9QRtUtAiSZyCZPkYk411VXIUf0m7MOsdEW5gofnmTqA4A_a7oaWz-4_S9LjYjUa2SvHUo7XNc1xaIUQBqjEcyfXIaKZEdjFWRdCTdmijNQuKOJVn8_ReEKM9cCGfT6EAmJDvRn-QtOCBixAk3g_XMgmxfhk0c1nk-FqYfVguXk1G90QA7jEFVomkSGAdFrUOsB9E2Hnti-StTierGrSadWx8h2qlIEjCxSI8a257A32GIeUcpYjhQrjSfiiMdYxrHB3Y11j4X2oqXc5KrtuxbcpKX0Ws069C2M_v39G0lH3p8ezXzeHCHWCL4tZBP3lxZ3rK9ef_KXL209gKfE7_gVI7w2W9Cy1RuPJKT5nqq0DKQrZNOAP_u7R7ErH6aPx6RZAQShVGGyvgiQvK14uT-dS-Z33ake7zXOaBhvqD5xb8G4WYBjc05omIj45VIZ4ongcF-JhvLYvwpNhGwQNttkfeB1z8Jg4l7Ta_JNE1BYgHyuHltPwS5qHjSIU7UjUmxCTjKrPddIyDS5qIP8XJBbHLc4X0Jpr5jogKd5XnxK=w471-h945-no

One off #2 with some of the other OKT family (L to R) - One off #2, trail Hand, Warthog, Raptor and Mamushi
tsphd_NU3sJIgZAu3ke4izRAoMsS3ILjtR-GieD8_Ibe6wfVfo_xBF_Vwnzpgejg-F0dpUkPKgePqvKE-t8L5yrQWvQkvtnwsZ_Uof_C_--gKSZF9YhQy-Zq4sqDLLdfUznPsMG0LGOSyvfjtRT_eHQyGYOOFB-RRX0KtbchlNT-2h2ryuLMwf1KgBQBL5Wd67QH4UyWf4iZiTFReyqx9BAkJuBbBksk_llmnvKIaVy9ua2ZhJ9zhrfbh7BEkSqmIKi42GDmYLredq1SjiY4KfRmWdWupAeR6WYeNeUpXd70Ba12s6UWvmOcKhuCCltocUMA3zJ_jr2KcdhdTg4fEk0uyOruj9s8bx-v5bIS-Mna9VRAU9Z6Y3m1EEoxEK9gIi2jZ1q2CaID-DebLwR1HZTiddF6Jvm0rCSKtL0MpphGOxBlZXd9DiLfsW3apZnldOSN875Z1_cR7DD2YCSIRGF2slVUP7MQCJN76QpMe7LGJM-IRqoj3guX165s2BmChywBX2RDTrLkvKPHMeT8gSIlqehFf8jIIg2hxsTfJW9MEHwqveoVEs0jWrMmWeBqh0Fr_t6zK_8X3GfJq6HKdXJ-HXnVtxjobJOq3JRdhJa-qJBTqkyR=w1024-h850-no

So I've been carrying the Trail hand lately in an ISP3. I haven't had it long enough to really get comfortable with everything I might do. Now this one shows up and I will have to rotate between the two. It's small enough to fit in another dual carry JouFuu sheath I use for a Fiddleback commando 2FK. The handle protrudes a little too much ,but it will work until I find a suitable alternative. A JouFuu deep carry would be nice, but if I can't find a model that fits, I may go Kydex with this one.
giWSsZ3YVuZ7g9WMaMIkzCTmbKnpaoBHGFmZhwl_5fBw3xHs1x0aiJ7HOyCcp4EP67fZNC5l_REVLJRDUSwhtHfarEkziJKE4xSaknlUeRhwB0A5N5EYP4gF_yWUxX0yYIc2woqauHdkA0d5vVYCwCYlGWUpB4yylxyNG1_3HZosnWL1U-_DTrMEYS4DgA97ygeluV-gtvpIzP5zwTn6u7Ns74rL0nnSjSkvXrKaChB5oaNKGnCISFFP98oKn1ZZ6It1VtlErIuvp1Q7TnEJlpJ7_XDchAC3ZMIJGoltBWMipFUZrvvM60sEo9rBrQPqEHic2MBqv4GVQjozHtvjE1-T04-bKyuPNo3HdkGHLZKLDkL00POZToOlGW65N6JWRc_aYIWGT6IjzYY_lqLkCP0Q9WwZ41V6LoRfBGNwBYXuSJXXHggvGnbgoeQzq1kUMZayK6xIsgod_QE619EidDGXHzVVDOU9DM7H74mdz811eTNR7YKCLP8PhlLltt0rl4SvZGRiOKbv9u_8cwBHT3GytLXDwoSLBVKDsZjblIa-XcH6WRNVStdHtsC2Lv_1DwkaZzVq9usopR_xkWaEc-wStZx4N5Uz4PWeNxJLFeT95Qog=w1024-h644-no

Superb work from Chris once again!

I will be back to this thread in a few days with replies, it has taken me a few days to digest the information presented here, thank you everyone for their inputs I really appreciate it and it is tremendously helpful.

The template overlays are extremely helpful, especially when you get into the 'x' variant knives.

Here is a pic of Douglas' Hunter along side his Apache. I may have missed the descriptor between the two models, and I had always thought of the Apache as a slightly scaled down, less beefy Hunter. Seeing the two profiles side by side was very telling and showed me that while similar they are both different in their functional design. Chris mentioned to me handle families recently and his goal to design some knives that while having different intentions in use, they retain that tactile feedback one grows accustomed to while using a single tool over a longer period of time. You see this in the Apache --- Hunter --- Ranger profiles that share the design element with handles very closely similar in shape and feel, giving you a sense of familiarity when switching between knives.

33323624880_9df7984354_c.jpg

Probably one of the most mesmerizing photos featuring my work I have seen!!!!!

Shows off the subtle differences between the Apache and Hunter

A quick review of a recent acquisition. This knife appeared as "One Off #2, 3/32" (.100") CPM154 Tapered Tang, Double Black G10 over Black with Blue accent liner (Sandblasted), CF Lanyard Tube and Pins, OAL 6 1/4", Blade 3", 2.88oz" in the 3/22/17 sale thread. Chris described it as "All of the one offs are smaller than the Mamushi... are very similar in dimensions to the Mamushi but with a much shorter blade and handle". Not sure what drew me to this blade, but I could see exactly where my index finger goes when using a "skinner" type grip.

One off #2
NYrbSNTwWPWgaqrLyghthuYddkozb1A0c1ws6ITh8Bxl9ZR94xuW_JFWbfLMUZrpb31coEtDrYhF40Z53lawfu7Zfoq5rwNA7M3_oGRR3xb9GSpt1mU3WB0nElMGpd2wyEF9JB866VpcsheZPq7J-QaV5uoDkfsjPvH-vZETFSIZmO2lfjto6RJ7gjU3qsxLn8grARS0UWS29VVrM6TeKoFrZ6WnguAgElCJ2AJVsGgUSOtkvroMt96vUDIq1AfhvHwR2-yqlyWaXZCgnkJnoFJWAtEQHbn2XAbP-RQBNQgeaxQl6lyabcozY09eku7jghz_3QdMNsPzbf1sKFbwteCZCavkEfP8YfKsofdzb-30mU53C3ZQri2tST6QAVcYYxY5XUHaIUzsPo4QC-nPn0VrFoa18rOF8sEk9nlRdJodqoSmVU_caPQhXxMbixd832JNejTqQz1iavY1ei6GkskKlADK9vFhC_lk2efrJsthC3immBIZoPH-Zt7xbyamiRL9RLeGpqy8xJnFHqaZnOjOZV5XclqeNBZVutcBvm9yzimbWhz7OFyT5ZQ1CtxrNPzh8Didjiplu_XXVMr4KmOTByLkB2VhoUP2Sw81v6l05Azo=w1024-h571-no

No bones about it, this is three finger knife for me. The Mamushi-esque pommel makes it very comfortable. I really appreciate the fact that Chris takes the time to polish the flats on all his knives. This one is particularly nice in that respect. Fit and finish are monotonously exceptional. The blade geometry is a little different than the Mamushi, which I like. Here's some pics to show the comparison.

One Off #2 with the Mamushi
5rkIq-vdw7eBicP7kqT8RO_-ivpLsfHwcAzBaZaHw6_BDZwEZyIUD09wG5F8nejJYpiPJ-PF4v9QRtUtAiSZyCZPkYk411VXIUf0m7MOsdEW5gofnmTqA4A_a7oaWz-4_S9LjYjUa2SvHUo7XNc1xaIUQBqjEcyfXIaKZEdjFWRdCTdmijNQuKOJVn8_ReEKM9cCGfT6EAmJDvRn-QtOCBixAk3g_XMgmxfhk0c1nk-FqYfVguXk1G90QA7jEFVomkSGAdFrUOsB9E2Hnti-StTierGrSadWx8h2qlIEjCxSI8a257A32GIeUcpYjhQrjSfiiMdYxrHB3Y11j4X2oqXc5KrtuxbcpKX0Ws069C2M_v39G0lH3p8ezXzeHCHWCL4tZBP3lxZ3rK9ef_KXL209gKfE7_gVI7w2W9Cy1RuPJKT5nqq0DKQrZNOAP_u7R7ErH6aPx6RZAQShVGGyvgiQvK14uT-dS-Z33ake7zXOaBhvqD5xb8G4WYBjc05omIj45VIZ4ongcF-JhvLYvwpNhGwQNttkfeB1z8Jg4l7Ta_JNE1BYgHyuHltPwS5qHjSIU7UjUmxCTjKrPddIyDS5qIP8XJBbHLc4X0Jpr5jogKd5XnxK=w471-h945-no

One off #2 with some of the other OKT family (L to R) - One off #2, trail Hand, Warthog, Raptor and Mamushi
tsphd_NU3sJIgZAu3ke4izRAoMsS3ILjtR-GieD8_Ibe6wfVfo_xBF_Vwnzpgejg-F0dpUkPKgePqvKE-t8L5yrQWvQkvtnwsZ_Uof_C_--gKSZF9YhQy-Zq4sqDLLdfUznPsMG0LGOSyvfjtRT_eHQyGYOOFB-RRX0KtbchlNT-2h2ryuLMwf1KgBQBL5Wd67QH4UyWf4iZiTFReyqx9BAkJuBbBksk_llmnvKIaVy9ua2ZhJ9zhrfbh7BEkSqmIKi42GDmYLredq1SjiY4KfRmWdWupAeR6WYeNeUpXd70Ba12s6UWvmOcKhuCCltocUMA3zJ_jr2KcdhdTg4fEk0uyOruj9s8bx-v5bIS-Mna9VRAU9Z6Y3m1EEoxEK9gIi2jZ1q2CaID-DebLwR1HZTiddF6Jvm0rCSKtL0MpphGOxBlZXd9DiLfsW3apZnldOSN875Z1_cR7DD2YCSIRGF2slVUP7MQCJN76QpMe7LGJM-IRqoj3guX165s2BmChywBX2RDTrLkvKPHMeT8gSIlqehFf8jIIg2hxsTfJW9MEHwqveoVEs0jWrMmWeBqh0Fr_t6zK_8X3GfJq6HKdXJ-HXnVtxjobJOq3JRdhJa-qJBTqkyR=w1024-h850-no

So I've been carrying the Trail hand lately in an ISP3. I haven't had it long enough to really get comfortable with everything I might do. Now this one shows up and I will have to rotate between the two. It's small enough to fit in another dual carry JouFuu sheath I use for a Fiddleback commando 2FK. The handle protrudes a little too much ,but it will work until I find a suitable alternative. A JouFuu deep carry would be nice, but if I can't find a model that fits, I may go Kydex with this one.
giWSsZ3YVuZ7g9WMaMIkzCTmbKnpaoBHGFmZhwl_5fBw3xHs1x0aiJ7HOyCcp4EP67fZNC5l_REVLJRDUSwhtHfarEkziJKE4xSaknlUeRhwB0A5N5EYP4gF_yWUxX0yYIc2woqauHdkA0d5vVYCwCYlGWUpB4yylxyNG1_3HZosnWL1U-_DTrMEYS4DgA97ygeluV-gtvpIzP5zwTn6u7Ns74rL0nnSjSkvXrKaChB5oaNKGnCISFFP98oKn1ZZ6It1VtlErIuvp1Q7TnEJlpJ7_XDchAC3ZMIJGoltBWMipFUZrvvM60sEo9rBrQPqEHic2MBqv4GVQjozHtvjE1-T04-bKyuPNo3HdkGHLZKLDkL00POZToOlGW65N6JWRc_aYIWGT6IjzYY_lqLkCP0Q9WwZ41V6LoRfBGNwBYXuSJXXHggvGnbgoeQzq1kUMZayK6xIsgod_QE619EidDGXHzVVDOU9DM7H74mdz811eTNR7YKCLP8PhlLltt0rl4SvZGRiOKbv9u_8cwBHT3GytLXDwoSLBVKDsZjblIa-XcH6WRNVStdHtsC2Lv_1DwkaZzVq9usopR_xkWaEc-wStZx4N5Uz4PWeNxJLFeT95Qog=w1024-h644-no

Superb work from Chris once again!

Thank you for posting these comparison photos up so quickly after receiving the knife, I am glad that you like it. The photos help provide a sense of scale and proportion.
I look forward to seeing how your relationship with this unique one off! And the Pictures a exceptional as well. I really appreciate the post you have made lately Phillip.
I have had my hands busy the last few weeks and was not able to reply as soon as I would have like too.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your newly acquired nomad as well!

Thanks for posting!

This thread has not seen a post in a while...

Here you go Oyster Oyster - better late than never. I hope they give you the info you were looking for in your decision on the Razorback in relation to some models you now own.

You'll see the signature finger choil on the handle with all three patterns. The Razorback is really just a taller, longer and overall beefier Warthog handle. I do not own a guardless version, but I assume it has the same handle as the version shown here? The Trailhand has a similar feel but you do notice the more curvature in the handle. The butts on the Razorback/Warthog are the same, while the Trailhand has a smooth curve from top to bottom. I find all three to be comfortable for me.

Top to bottom: Razorback, Trailhand, Warthog

A few pics of the rear ends and undercarriages.
https://flic.kr/p/24f2uBX

This is amazing. Thank you! In particular the pics showing the knives from different perspectives rather than “merely” from the side.
I will have to add pics of my Warthog and (just arrived!) Mamushi :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, it’s Sunday evening, so I’m helping my GF close up shop again (already getting glares for being on my phone with my “knife people” again...:D)

This thread has not seen a post in a while...

Here you go Oyster Oyster - better late than never. I hope they give you the info you were looking for in your decision on the Razorback in relation to some models you now own.

You'll see the signature finger choil on the handle with all three patterns. The Razorback is really just a taller, longer and overall beefier Warthog handle. I do not own a guardless version, but I assume it has the same handle as the version shown here? The Trailhand has a similar feel but you do notice the more curvature in the handle. The butts on the Razorback/Warthog are the same, while the Trailhand has a smooth curve from top to bottom. I find all three to be comfortable for me.

Top to bottom: Razorback, Trailhand, Warthog

A few pics of the rear ends and undercarriages.

Great comparison FeralGentleman FeralGentleman :thumbsup:. All three of those are nice:thumbsup:. Bog Oak Warthog is awesome, the Buckeye Burl on the Trailhand seems to get better each time I see it, and I’m definitely intrigued by the Razorback! Thanks for the pics:thumbsup:

This is amazing. Thank you! In particular the pics showing the knives from different perspectives rather than “merely” from the side.
I will have to add pics of my Warthog and (just arrived!) Mamushi :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, it’s Sunday evening, so I’m helping my GF close up shop again (already getting glares for being on my phone with my “knife people” again...:D)

She'll get trained up in no time ;)

Back