Review Osprey K/T Reviews

I love the review and insight, Ryan. And I definitely don't mind some overlap in testing. A different POV on the same type of work/tests is only going to be more helpful to someone deciding what they want their next purchase to be.

I also very much appreciate the knowledge of the wood that you're working with (something for me to get better at).

A Warthog with a slightly extended handle would be an interesting edition and would probably cater quite well to those with larger hands... Or just someone who wants some more space.
Personally, I have gone back and forth on that idea. My Warthog is away being fitted for some pants, so I might flesh this out a bit more when I get it back in hand.

I'm definitely looking forward to part 2.

- Daniel

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Great review of the Warthog Ryan! That's a handsome example of a stellar model by Chris! I remember when that one popped up for sale, I panicked for half a second because the stripe looked orange -my favorite handle combo- I thought i was going to have to borrow from my emergency fund to try and buy it.

The Warthog reviews, and having one in loan from Jerry, has really made me want to get one back in my collection. My old black canvas Commando WH is now with Varga I believe. Looking forward to your future installments. :thumbup:

Part 1 Conclusions

This warthog has been nothing short of stellar.

It is a great jack of all trades knife. It can do all of the tasks I wanted it to, and I can still carry it every day in my pocket to work, in a backpack, or in a duffel bag. It's a compact size but not too compact that you can't cook with it. It's a lot like a versatile, strong paring knife with a lot more nuance!

This knife fits into my favorite scheme of blade shapes and sizes, and it's exceeded my already high expectations and hopes regarding Chris and OKT.

Of course, a good review wouldn't be complete without some things I may change about the knife if I could.

First, if I could, I'd add just a touch more handle thickness to reduce hand fatigue during extended usage, but not compromise the easy carry by going full on woodlore coke bottle thickness.

Second, I'd like to see a tad more length on the handle to accommodate my specific hand size and shape. Even something as small as 1/8" might create a small fraction of length so my hand would be almost coddled by the entire handle, instead of being at the end of it.

Clearly, these changes are small things that don't prevent me from loving this knife. Since writing this review, I have taken the knife on numerous trips and gotten a lot more experiences with it. All of which I'd like to share in Part 2, alongside more adventure photos.

*The tradeoff I mentioned above in regards to the handle thickness - I recognize that thin steels generally amount to thinner handles. Usually, people who are looking for a blade with thin steel plan on having a light duty, edc option. For me, even in my larger blades, I like 3/32, especially in kitchen work, and therefore want slightly thicker handles to increase comfort without compromising slicing/cutting ability.

I hope this first installment was helpful in anyone considering a warthog, OKT, or just some of us in the group who enjoy reading analysis of our favorite tools. Thanks again everybody, and stay tuned :)

-Ryan

Great review Ryan! Your photos and write-up of how you put the Warthog through its paces are all top notch. I especially liked your descriptions of how the knife felt when you used it for various tasks. Chris makes amazing knives with features like thin tapered CM 154, gorgeous hammered flats, and wonderful handle contours and a supple grippy finish. I am glad that you found a model that straddles your sweet spot for size and uses.

I can't disagree with any of your conclusions. I too like the idea of thinner steel with a thicker handle, especially on 4" and up blades. On an ED size knife, I can understand why makers are inclined to not go too thick in the interest of weight savings and concealment. The 3.450" blade of the Warthog makes it kind of a jack of all trades size like you aptly described. Without getting into minute detail at this time, I have also determined that the handle length is a tad short of ideal for my hand. The scaled up Razorback model is a much better fit for my hand even though the difference in handle length is only about .290" on my samples. It does not take much to make a noticeable difference.

Thanks again for doing this thorough review. I look forward to Parts 2 & 3.

Phil

The Guardless Warthog - A demonstration of Utility and Style - A Review

Good afternoon everybody.

I wanted to do a thorough review now that I have had some time to play with my new warthog and my first OKT from Chris. First off, much thanks to Chris for always first making such great knives for all of us, and secondly, for having such a fun atmosphere for all of us to contribute to. I had some help from a few friends in sharking this knife, and wanted to thank them as well.

Some of the specs on this knife are my ideal. This is a damn good knife, all which will be revealed in short time.

-Ryan

Ryan,

What a stellar review! Congratulations on your first Osprey!
I enjoyed reading your review and from a user's perspective allowed me to gain valuable insight if I had not already been familiar with the blade. Thank you for taking the time out to compile and compose the material necessary to post such an enriching review, the time spent is not lost on me. It is much appreciated!

I was happy to hear you enjoy the atmosphere surrounding my brand and Forum, and welcome your contribution.
I too appreciate and would like to thank everyone for there contribution to the Forum and helping you (Hawk) this knife!

The Guardless Warthog - A demonstration of Utility and Style - A Review

Part 1 Conclusions

This warthog has been nothing short of stellar.

It is a great jack of all trades knife. It can do all of the tasks I wanted it to, and I can still carry it every day in my pocket to work, in a backpack, or in a duffel bag. It's a compact size but not too compact that you can't cook with it. It's a lot like a versatile, strong paring knife with a lot more nuance!

This knife fits into my favorite scheme of blade shapes and sizes, and it's exceeded my already high expectations and hopes regarding Chris and OKT.

Of course, a good review wouldn't be complete without some things I may change about the knife if I could.

First, if I could, I'd add just a touch more handle thickness to reduce hand fatigue during extended usage, but not compromise the easy carry by going full on woodlore coke bottle thickness.

Second, I'd like to see a tad more length on the handle to accommodate my specific hand size and shape. Even something as small as 1/8" might create a small fraction of length so my hand would be almost coddled by the entire handle, instead of being at the end of it.

Clearly, these changes are small things that don't prevent me from loving this knife. Since writing this review, I have taken the knife on numerous trips and gotten a lot more experiences with it. All of which I'd like to share in Part 2, alongside more adventure photos.

*The tradeoff I mentioned above in regards to the handle thickness - I recognize that thin steels generally amount to thinner handles. Usually, people who are looking for a blade with thin steel plan on having a light duty, edc option. For me, even in my larger blades, I like 3/32, especially in kitchen work, and therefore want slightly thicker handles to increase comfort without compromising slicing/cutting ability.

I hope this first installment was helpful in anyone considering a warthog, OKT, or just some of us in the group who enjoy reading analysis of our favorite tools. Thanks again everybody, and stay tuned :)

-Ryan

As I stated before I was impressed with your review, the layout and flow made it easy to read and digest, as a maker I draw some different conclusions when reading a review and reviews are extremely helpful in this light.

I was excited to read that you liked many aspects I incorporate into my knives, it is reaffirming when you guys notice the extra effort I put in.

I designed this blade to fill the gap between a true EDC role and an all out bushcrafting knife. Sometimes our activities straddle both worlds quite frequently and having a knife suited for this purpose made sense to me.

In response to your observations on handle length.
For more handle length to alleviate fatigue I would recommend a Razorback that has essentially a larger version or your current Warthog handle with and Apache blade, By adding length to the handle IMO would lean the knife farther out of the EDC friendly range. There are other blades I offer in the general size range with longer handles, The Trail Hand, Mamushi.
More Bushcrafting working friendly knives would be the Apache, Razorback, Hunter but these three add considerable volume to your carry package over the previous two mentioned.

I look forward to your second and possibly third installment of the Warthog review and I assure you I will come back to this as a reference like I do wit previously posted reviews. Thank you for adding your contribution to the Review thread.

I have no idea why I never noticed this thread, but it looks like I have some thoughtful, well written contributions to go work through.

Love that Warthog Ryan! One of my favorite handles is a blasted green micarta on thicker natural canvas liners.

I have no idea why I never noticed this thread, but it looks like I have some thoughtful, well written contributions to go work through.

Love that Warthog Ryan! One of my favorite handles is a blasted green micarta on thicker natural canvas liners.

I definitely look forward to your contribution Danny!

Ryan:

Super job with your review of the WH. You did a fine job translating your actual experiences with your knife into words so a reader could easily relate to the task at hand. I found your comment about handle length most interesting, along with your rationale on the benefits of a guardless variant. I personally own three WH's and every time I put a grip on one there is a little voice in the back of my head that says..."I wish this handle was about 1/4" longer". I wear a size XL glove so I would need another quarter inch to have the handle fill my hand. Since Chris is a good listener we can only hope that he'll take these comments to heart.

Looking forward to reading more as your experience with the knife continues to evolve.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter. It's been a blast doing it, and I am happy to hear you share some of the some responses to the WH as I do.

I love the review and insight, Ryan. And I definitely don't mind some overlap in testing. A different POV on the same type of work/tests is only going to be more helpful to someone deciding what they want their next purchase to be.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Daniel, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing how are opinions agree and vary on the same blade! It'll be fun going forward. Thanks for checking out my review!

Great review of the Warthog Ryan! That's a handsome example of a stellar model by Chris! I remember when that one popped up for sale, I panicked for half a second because the stripe looked orange -my favorite handle combo- I thought i was going to have to borrow from my emergency fund to try and buy it.

The Warthog reviews, and having one in loan from Jerry, has really made me want to get one back in my collection. My old black canvas Commando WH is now with Varga I believe. Looking forward to your future installments. :thumbup:

Orion! Thanks so much for checking this out. OD/orange is one of my favorite combos as well. In fact, that's probably one thing that would have made this model even better for me. I'm a big fan of colors that pop. I'm glad you are enjoying the Warthog jerry loaned you, it's a great EDC knife, even if it's not your final choice. I've been meaning to comment on your big 3-1/2 thread, just haven't gotten around to it. I should show you my favorite EDC options. I think we have the same hand size and incredibly similar tastes. I EDC a 3/32 Hiking buddy with natural/evergreen burlap that looks a lot like the one you said was your favorite.

Great review Ryan! Your photos and write-up of how you put the Warthog through its paces are all top notch. I especially liked your descriptions of how the knife felt when you used it for various tasks. Chris makes amazing knives with features like thin tapered CM 154, gorgeous hammered flats, and wonderful handle contours and a supple grippy finish. I am glad that you found a model that straddles your sweet spot for size and uses.

I can't disagree with any of your conclusions. I too like the idea of thinner steel with a thicker handle, especially on 4" and up blades. On an ED size knife, I can understand why makers are inclined to not go too thick in the interest of weight savings and concealment. The 3.450" blade of the Warthog makes it kind of a jack of all trades size like you aptly described. Without getting into minute detail at this time, I have also determined that the handle length is a tad short of ideal for my hand. The scaled up Razorback model is a much better fit for my hand even though the difference in handle length is only about .290" on my samples. It does not take much to make a noticeable difference.

Thanks again for doing this thorough review. I look forward to Parts 2 & 3.

Phil

Phil, as always, I appreciate your responses and support in our hobby of knife usage science, as I think of it. I can't wait to collaborate with you more on future observations, as well as hear your reactions to parts 2/3 which are in progress from a photo editing stand point. I couldn't agree more that it only takes a tiny little bit to get a noticeable difference.

Ryan,

What a stellar review! Congratulations on your first Osprey!
I enjoyed reading your review and from a user's perspective allowed me to gain valuable insight if I had not already been familiar with the blade. Thank you for taking the time out to compile and compose the material necessary to post such an enriching review, the time spent is not lost on me. It is much appreciated!

I was happy to hear you enjoy the atmosphere surrounding my brand and Forum, and welcome your contribution.
I too appreciate and would like to thank everyone for there contribution to the Forum and helping you (Hawk) this knife!

As I stated before I was impressed with your review, the layout and flow made it easy to read and digest, as a maker I draw some different conclusions when reading a review and reviews are extremely helpful in this light.

I was excited to read that you liked many aspects I incorporate into my knives, it is reaffirming when you guys notice the extra effort I put in.

I designed this blade to fill the gap between a true EDC role and an all out bushcrafting knife. Sometimes our activities straddle both worlds quite frequently and having a knife suited for this purpose made sense to me.

In response to your observations on handle length.
For more handle length to alleviate fatigue I would recommend a Razorback that has essentially a larger version or your current Warthog handle with and Apache blade, By adding length to the handle IMO would lean the knife farther out of the EDC friendly range. There are other blades I offer in the general size range with longer handles, The Trail Hand, Mamushi.
More Bushcrafting working friendly knives would be the Apache, Razorback, Hunter but these three add considerable volume to your carry package over the previous two mentioned.

I look forward to your second and possibly third installment of the Warthog review and I assure you I will come back to this as a reference like I do wit previously posted reviews. Thank you for adding your contribution to the Review thread.

Chris. thank you very much for writing out this detailed response to my review. It means a lot to me. In fact, the fact that you are the maker of tools I can rely on so heavily when I'm out in the woods is part of the reason I am/will be a supporter of yours as long as I can be. Not only do I value your initiative in constantly striving for improvement and perfection, I also value your strong work ethic and your eagerness to work WITH your customers/supporters to represent your brand.

In regards to your response about this knife, the comment about filling the gap between a true EDC and an all out bushcrafting knife hit home with me in a powerful way. It's funny, but this is one of those intangible values I mentioned in the sentence above that really makes the difference for me. By interacting with you on this level, and a first name basis, I now have a better understanding of my knife (a product/tool) that you created, in a way that I didn't have an appreciation for until I read this response from you. I had been trying to pin point exactly where this knife fit in for me, and in one brief stroke, you nailed it. After all, you did design it, so I'm not too shocked! The coolest part about it is, before you replied this way, it had fallen into exactly that role for me.

My main form of income is in a restaurant where I use the warthog like a paring knife and utility blade. Cutting lemons, limes, opening boxes and packages, maybe very light prying or brushing.

Another portion of my free time is as a volunteer naturalist where I act as a hiking guide in local conservation areas. I haven't been doing this long, but it's a big part of my life and having a knife the size of the warthog is just right. I can use it to prepare light meals and lunches when out in the field. I can use it in front of people and it won't scare them. I doubt I'll be using it to chop or anything heavier, so it's a perfect trail buddy.

The final way in which I have been using the hog (all of this will be covered in part 2) is in my camping/bushcrafting endeavors. A huge personal goal of mine is to study and master a number of outdoor skills. Because of my scheduling, etc, I end up transitioning between the jobs and work I mentioned earlier and may suddenly end up traveling or on a camping trip. So far since acquiring the warthog, I've done three camping trips that were in this transition like state. The best part about all of that is that the warthog performed beautifully. It does fine work at camp as a kitchen blade and for fire prep. I plan on doing much, much more, but you get the idea.

Anyways, my point of all this is that I hope I didn't express any disappointment in the knife. The true understanding of how it was designed will help me in maximizing how I use the knife and how it serves me day to day. This is part of the enjoyment of it for me too, by waxing in and out of it's intended uses and seeing how it works.

Your comment about adding considerable volume to a knife size also weighs in heavily for me. Part of how I choose my most used knives are how well they transition from cross-platform needs, so I tend to gravitate towards the jack of all trades ones. I think the knives that are must-try for me from your line going forward are the trail hand and mamushi. Both of which I believe can fulfill many tasks in the way the warthog does, and still have a lean EDC feel.

Sorry for the long-winded and late replies, but again, I appreciate it and can't wait to spill my guts on the adventures with the warthog soon to come.

I agree danny, the blasted green micarta is amazing.

Oh, and I'm glad you noticed this thread. Every review from you that I have read has been nothing short of inspiring, so I expect you'll have some good material for us in the future. :)

Last edited:
Orion! Thanks so much for checking this out. OD/orange is one of my favorite combos as well. In fact, that's probably one thing that would have made this model even better for me. I'm a big fan of colors that pop. I'm glad you are enjoying the Warthog jerry loaned you, it's a great EDC knife, even if it's not your final choice. I've been meaning to comment on your big 3-1/2 thread, just haven't gotten around to it. I should show you my favorite EDC options. I think we have the same hand size and incredibly similar tastes. I EDC a 3/32 Hiking buddy with natural/evergreen burlap that looks a lot like the one you said was your favorite.

Definitely! The little bit of bright with the muted natural green and tan... :thumbup: also a big fan of OD/nat/blue.

I'd love to see your EDC options and that Hiking Buddy, though I think I've seen it on IG or up here before. No worries about commenting, I put up a ton of pictures and thoughts, it's probably a lot to sift through. Jerry did a good job of making a "table of contents" on his first post.

I'll be posting up some of my final thoughts today or tomorrow.

Loved the review Ryan. Insightful, concise, informative, and very enjoyable read. You're an excellent communicator. My money was on the WH or Mamushi as your 1st OKT and I was not surprised it exceeded your expectations. After reading the excellent reviews here the Razorback is most likely my next OKT purchase. 3/32 CPM154 preferably :) Thanks for the great read Ryan!

Chris. thank you very much for writing out this detailed response to my review. It means a lot to me. In fact, the fact that you are the maker of tools I can rely on so heavily when I'm out in the woods is part of the reason I am/will be a supporter of yours as long as I can be. Not only do I value your initiative in constantly striving for improvement and perfection, I also value your strong work ethic and your eagerness to work WITH your customers/supporters to represent your brand.

Ryan, you're welcome for the response. I try and respond as much as possible with substance. Apologies it took me so long to respond to your reply here. I have had my head down working the last week and half. I appreciate reading your compliments stated above and these are qualities I try instill in myself, brand and product and it is affirming to hear customers echo that, thank you!

In regards to your response about this knife, the comment about filling the gap between a true EDC and an all out bushcrafting knife hit home with me in a powerful way. It's funny, but this is one of those intangible values I mentioned in the sentence above that really makes the difference for me. By interacting with you on this level, and a first name basis, I now have a better understanding of my knife (a product/tool) that you created, in a way that I didn't have an appreciation for until I read this response from you. I had been trying to pinpoint exactly where this knife fit in for me, and in one brief stroke, you nailed it. After all, you did design it, so I'm not too shocked! The coolest part about it is, before you replied this way, it had fallen into exactly that role for me.

I thought it was important to mention, and hoped it would help you better understand the knife and its intended purpose, as I see it did! I agree with the sentiment that working with the designer and maker of a tool helps you better understand and appreciate the tool at hand on another level. The fact that the knife naturally fell into that role for you is great to hear! I thought it was pretty cool to hear it fell into that role prior to my statement.

My main form of income is in a restaurant where I use the warthog like a paring knife and utility blade. Cutting lemons, limes, opening boxes and packages, maybe very light prying or brushing.

Another portion of my free time is as a volunteer naturalist where I act as a hiking guide in local conservation areas. I haven't been doing this long, but it's a big part of my life and having a knife the size of the warthog is just right. I can use it to prepare light meals and lunches when out in the field. I can use it in front of people and it won't scare them. I doubt I'll be using it to chop or anything heavier, so it's a perfect trail buddy.

The final way in which I have been using the hog (all of this will be covered in part 2) is in my camping/bushcrafting endeavors. A huge personal goal of mine is to study and master a number of outdoor skills. Because of my scheduling, etc, I end up transitioning between the jobs and work I mentioned earlier and may suddenly end up traveling or on a camping trip. So far since acquiring the warthog, I've done three camping trips that were in this transition like state. The best part about all of that is that the warthog performed beautifully. It does fine work at camp as a kitchen blade and for fire prep. I plan on doing much, much more, but you get the idea.

I am familiar with the restaurant business, and I am no stranger to living and playing in the woods. So it's not surprising that my intentions for the knife fit and transitioned in and out of those roles nicely.

This statement hit home with me like you stated before, but in reverse my time in the military as an Infantry soldier encompassed a lot of the same daily task especially when back in Garrison AKA- ( State Side Training)- translation for non military people.

Anyways, my point of all this is that I hope I didn't express any disappointment in the knife. The true understanding of how it was designed will help me in maximizing how I use the knife and how it serves me day to day. This is part of the enjoyment of it for me too, by waxing in and out of it's intended uses and seeing how it works.

Your comment about adding considerable volume to a knife size also weighs in heavily for me. Part of how I choose my most used knives are how well they transition from cross-platform needs, so I tend to gravitate towards the jack of all trades ones. I think the knives that are must-try for me from your line going forward are the trail hand and mamushi. Both of which I believe can fulfill many tasks in the way the warthog does, and still have a lean EDC feel.

Sorry for the long-winded and late replies, but again, I appreciate it and can't wait to spill my guts on the adventures with the warthog soon to come.

I didn't pick up on any disappointment in your review, so no worries there. I did sense a little bit of I guess you could say unsureness, about why some features are they way they are sacrificing here to gaining there etc... I figured id wouldn't hurt to throw my two sense in. Sometime when getting into discussions with customers like this, I gain insight as well. In general I am probably unlikely to make changes on a design based on an individual observation. But if I start hearing a common theme amongst you guys then I start to take a harder look a possibly bridging the gap between my intentions and the customers desires.

I look forward to seeing more post from you as you become more familiar with your Warthog!

(This Goes for Everyone)

So please feel free to share your opinions likes dislikes, I may are may not agree, but I can promise you I will listen and try my best to understand and reply in a thoughtful and constructive manner.

Intro:

I was lucky enough to score one of the first four Nomads that Chris offered for sale last week. This is the smallest of the new kitchen / steak knife designs he started discussing about a month ago in the OK&T comparisons thread. Even though small fixed blade knives and Wharcliff style blades are generally not my thing, I have come to respect Chris’ design instincts enough that I decided to give this model a go. I was also curious how 1/16” CPM 154 would perform in assorted tasks.

Since I just received my Nomad two days ago, I am hesitant to call what follows a review. A more accurate description is “initial thoughts and observations.” I will follow-up later with further thoughts as I continue to gain more experience using this knife.

Specifications & Reference Photos:

All linear measurements use the top front edge of the handles as a starting point. That means handle length is from that location to the farthest point rearward and blade length is from there to the tip.

Model: Nomad
OK&T Sale Lot Info: 04/17/17
OAL: 5.945””
Blade Length: 2.530””
Cutting Edge Length: 2.498”
Handle Length: 3.415”
Steel & Thickness: .071” (i.e. 1/16”)
Tang Type: SFT (“skeletonized full tang”)
Grind: Flat primary grind with convex secondary edge
Handle Material: Sandblasted Red G10 w/white liners & pins
Weight (oz.): 1.58
Blade Height @ Plunge Line: 1.009”
Handle Width @ Front: .407”
Handle Height @ Front: .755”
Handle Width @ Palmswell: .530”
Handle Height @ Palmswell: .657”
Handle Width @ Back: .606”
Handle Height @ Back: .791”
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Balance Point: 1.009” (i.e. “approx. 1/8” behind 1st pin”)

Here is a photo for those of you who prefer a basic measurement shot.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0081_zpsp9ecs2eo.jpg.html][/URL]

Comparison Photos & Observations:

My first thought when I unwrapped the Nomad was “wow this is small” compared to most of my fixed blades which have blades ranging from 3-1/2” to “5” blades.

The next smallest fixed blade knife in my collection is an Evans “Companion” at 6.110” OAL. This is a popular EDC knife that has a longer blade and shorter handle than the OK&T Nomad.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0070_zps0v9xo9lo.jpg.html][/URL]

Here are the same two knives with my Fiddleback Hiking Buddy added for scale.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0073_zpsfxl14ohy.jpg.html][/URL]

Here is the Nomad with my “K” Raptor.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0074_zpsi2kp4snr.jpg.html][/URL]

The “K” Raptor is 3/32” thick CPM 154. That was my standard for “thin” before getting the 1/16” thick CPM 154 Nomad. I look forward to seeing how the thinner Nomad performs over time.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0076_zps4peap5dw.jpg.html][/URL]

In-Hand Photos:

The Nomad handle length makes it a 3-finger knife for me. (For reference: My palm width is 4” across the middle.)

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0066_zpsrd08safj.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0064_zpsoqcnkecw.jpg.html][/URL]

I can scrunch all four fingers on the handle if I want to, but that is not my preferred grip. Take note of the reverse tanto tip and guardless design of the blade along with the amazing sharpening job Chris does on the secondary edge bevel.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0092_zpsqqtstrzt.jpg.html][/URL]

A grip that I will use frequently with this knife is the index finger positioned forward to make precise tip cuts. This is a very comfortable grip to me because the rounded butt on the handle does not poke me in the soft part of my palm like the angled flats with a point designs do.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0082_zps5ehlkanh.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
In-Use Observations::

I used the Nomad today for some food prep tasks to see how it feels. Producing thin strawberry slices to add to a salad was a quick and simple task for this knife.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0068_zpshphl6big.jpg.html][/URL]

Thinly slicing somewhat sticky or crumbly things like hard boiled eggs favors very sharp knives and thin blade steel. The Nomad glided right through with very little crumbling and a clean release of the egg slices.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0065_zpsksg2omoo.jpg.html][/URL]

Jerry (“warrior108”) mentioned in another thread about his Nomad that it was the first knife he felt was capable of peeling. I tried that on a carrot and I found that it is quite capable of the task in the absence of a dedicated peeler. I don’t try this often with a knife, so I need to practice my technique some more to get beautiful even peels.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0070_zpsvtu01sd0.jpg.html][/URL]

Just for fun I tried a little carving / peeling to make an apple face. This photo shows one of the standout features of the Nomad to me. Check out the full finger clearance I get with the back of the edge meeting the cutting board. That is impressive on a knife this small.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0096_zpsr83dsjbt.jpg.html][/URL]

Summary of Initial Thoughts:

Despite my initial concern about the diminutive size of the Nomad, I changed my perspective after using it as a small paring knife. The 1/16” steel works great to produce thin slices and good release on food prep tasks. The guardless blade is long enough for many tasks, nimble and lightweight. The upward tilt of the handle provides great finger clearance. The rounded pommel makes this knife very comfortable to use in various grips.

All in all, I am very impressed with this little knife. My wife picked it up while I was working in the kitchen and she commented that it feels great to her. “Apple-Man’s” last words before I ate him for lunch was that this is a cool lazer-sharp little knife that looks good with the “apple” red handles.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Comprehensivist/media/Knives%20April%202017/DSC_0103_zpsczpwc4zn.jpg.html][/URL]

I will continue to report back on this knife as I use it for more tasks. I think Chris hit a home run with the Nomad. I am very glad that I bought this knife.

Phil

Last edited:
Awesome post, Phil! I think a Nomad in 1/16" with a 3 1/2" blade and 3 1/2" handle would make a great paring knife. The wharncliffe is very utilitarian in the kitchen, from my experience. The clearance afforded by the upward tilted handle is super impressive for such a small knife. Well done, Chris!

Specifications & Reference Photos:

All linear measurements use the top front edge of the handles as a starting point. That means handle length is from that location to the farthest point rearward and blade length is from there to the tip.

Model: Nomad
OK&T Sale Lot Info: 04/17/17
OAL: 5.945””
Blade Length: 2.530””
Cutting Edge Length: 2.498”
Handle Length: 3.415”
Steel & Thickness: .071” (i.e. 1/16”)
Tang Type: SFT (“skeletonized full tang”)
Grind: Convex
Handle Material: Sandblasted Red G10 w/white liners & pins
Weight (oz.): 1.58
Blade Height @ Plunge Line: 1.009”
Handle Width @ Front: .407”
Handle Height @ Front: .755”
Handle Width @ Palmswell: .530”
Handle Height @ Palmswell: .657”
Handle Width @ Back: .606”
Handle Height @ Back: .791”
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Balance Point: 1.009” (i.e. “approx. 1/8” behind 1st pin”)

Awesome review! Your perceptions and reactions as well as those Douglas posted mirror mine as well. Just a fantastic little blade and full of surprises.

Also, I quoted the above specs because you always astound me at how many attributes can be put to numbers. Good stuff! :)

Phil,

Thank you for being so quick to post up your initial thoughts and impressions on the new Nomad.
It is always exciting and sometimes a little nerve wracking when I put out a new design, especially when it pushes the boundaries as these did!
from what I can see in the pictures and from your descriptions offered, it appears the Nomad performed as intended which brings me great satisfaction!

The pictures to posted are always extremely helpful and well executed , offering insight to different applications, grips and a general size reference!

The 1/16" Steel was very challenging for me to grind! I have never worked with steel this thin before. But given the feedback from you as well as a handful of other OKT fans, I thought it was time to give it a try.

I am glad I did! I got to play with one that I gave to my girlfriend as a gift and observed all of the above as well. Its pretty neat to see how different thickness steels allow for various applications and benefits in areas where others may not perform as well in given tasks.

I would like to thank you and everyone else who provided their feedback awhile back that helped me through the design process and gave me some inspiration for these little guys

I plan on adding these in my regular rotation and I look forward to reading your future thoughts and observations!

Awesome post, Phil! I think a Nomad in 1/16" with a 3 1/2" blade and 3 1/2" handle would make a great paring knife. The wharncliffe is very utilitarian in the kitchen, from my experience. The clearance afforded by the upward tilted handle is super impressive for such a small knife. Well done, Chris!

I appreciate your comments Shawn. Chris has a number of prototypes penciled out on this line of knives. I think there is a good chance one will fit your size criteria.

Awesome review! Your perceptions and reactions as well as those Douglas posted mirror mine as well. Just a fantastic little blade and full of surprises.

Also, I quoted the above specs because you always astound me at how many attributes can be put to numbers. Good stuff! :)

Thanks Jerry for sharing your first thoughts on the Nomad. That motivated me to take the time to document my thoughts on this little gem.

In regard to the specs I posted, I made one correction today. The blade has a Flat primary grind with a convex secondary edge.

Phil,

Thank you for being so quick to post up your initial thoughts and impressions on the new Nomad.
It is always exciting and sometimes a little nerve wracking when I put out a new design, especially when it pushes the boundaries as these did!
from what I can see in the pictures and from your descriptions offered, it appears the Nomad performed as intended which brings me great satisfaction!

The pictures to posted are always extremely helpful and well executed , offering insight to different applications, grips and a general size reference!

The 1/16" Steel was very challenging for me to grind! I have never worked with steel this thin before. But given the feedback from you as well as a handful of other OKT fans, I thought it was time to give it a try.

I am glad I did! I got to play with one that I gave to my girlfriend as a gift and observed all of the above as well. Its pretty neat to see how different thickness steels allow for various applications and benefits in areas where others may not perform as well in given tasks.

I would like to thank you and everyone else who provided their feedback awhile back that helped me through the design process and gave me some inspiration for these little guys

I plan on adding these in my regular rotation and I look forward to reading your future thoughts and observations!

Thanks for the feedback Chris. You broke away from many norms on the Nomad design and made it all come together aesthetically and practically. I was a little unsure what to expect when I pulled the trigger on this one. You have won me over with the Nomad. I have a feeling I'll be using it often for all kinds of tasks.

Phil

Phil, it was really cool to see your review of the new Nomad design. I could tell from the sales thread that these would be very cool little knives for the kitchen. As always, your data and observations are very helpful, and incredibly well done. It is interesting to see the nomad used as a peeling in knife in the case where you hadn't done much of that before. I look forward to hearing more thoughts and reactions to the 1/16" steel over time as well.

I would like to make a Kamisori soon!
Chris, I would purchase that now. I want to be first on the list. I use a 1930's straight razor to shave with that I reconditioned and also waiting for my custom straight razor by ShaveSmith. I love me some straight razors. I really hope you make one.

Mike B.

Back