Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview 02/13/17 - 02/20/17

Here is what I am currently working on;

I started the next batch on Thursday last week, Sanding the flats on the knives prepping for texturing. I timed that I spend roughly a 30-45 minutes on each blade polishing the flats and hammer texturing. Once that is complete. I will wash the blade removing any oil, dirt, etc.. After the blades have been wiped down and dried. I apply a thin layer of Turco to provide and oxygen barrier to prevent decarburization. I learned by trial and error that Turco does not work for all stainless steels. If I use it on S35vn it will actually accelerate the decarb process. S35vn has to be heat treated with heat treat foil.

This weekend (Saturday) was the Georgia Knifemakers Guild Meeting at the shop. I usually take advantage of the empty shop on the weekends and enjoy the solitude, this weekend was quite the opposite. It was quite packed here and I enjoyed meeting some new people as well as socializing with my peers and friends. I am just glad it not every weekend, lol:D

I took a panoramic shot this weekend

Hosted on Fotki

Hand Sanding the Flats

Hosted on Fotki

These have been washed after polishing then texturing and are ready for a layer of Turco.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Turco'd and ready to go in the oven

Hosted on Fotki

Fresh out of the oven, Heat treated and double tempered.

Hosted on Fotki

CLeaned up the flats post heat treat, next I will take the bevels all the way up to a rough finish grind in preparation for glue-up.

Hosted on Fotki

I will have more pictures in a few days and you guy's will have an Idea of what knife has which handle. Thanks for looking questions and comments welcome!

Last edited:
Cool looking batch!

So does Phillip or Allen do the rough grinding before heat treat? (jk)

Mixing a bit of "Question for the Maker" here I guess but how much weight reduction do you get with those (approximately) 5 larger holes? I'd imagine it could vary depending on 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, SFT or TT.

Thanks!

I'm really liking the texturing in these. Also is"Turco" a company name. When I was in the military we had an aircraft soap with that name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread and the FF WIP thread are the ones I look forward to all week.

Thanks for sharing, Chris, look forward to seeing the finished work!

I always look forward to the WIP pics. Great stuff Chris.

Thanks Guy's!

Cool looking batch!

So does Phillip or Allen do the rough grinding before heat treat? (jk)

Mixing a bit of "Question for the Maker" here I guess but how much weight reduction do you get with those (approximately) 5 larger holes? I'd imagine it could vary depending on 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, SFT or TT.

Thanks!

LOL, Nahh I do 100% of everything, from start to finish. But most of you guys already know that.
If I had to guess of the top of my head a couple of grams and up as the steel gets thicker. There are a lot of other reasons for the holes besides lightening up the tang. It provided a place for the epoxy to settle in between the scales during glue up for allowing for a stronger bond. It also makes the tapering process easier and more efficient by creating less surface area to grind and allowing the blade to stay cooler during the tapering process. The Lightening holes, hallowing the tang prior to tapering, and tapering all work in harmony to in similar ways to reduce weight and provide a lighter, well balanced, stronger blade.

Next time I start to drill some holes. I will try and remember to measure before and after to see if there is a measurable difference,

I'm really liking the texturing in these. Also is"Turco" a company name. When I was in the military we had an aircraft soap with that name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Douglas, Turco is the name of the liquid I use. It actually called Turco Pretreat

DESCRIPTION:
TURCO PRETREAT is a liquid, orange-colored compound formulated to inhibit the formation of
tenacious scale associated with heat treating of ferrous metals, stainless steels, nickel chrome alloys
and copper alloys in non-inert gas atmosphere furnaces. It may also be used as a lubricant for hot
forming of sheet titanium, hot flaring of titanium tubing, and cold forming of 17-7 PH steel plate; as a
protective coating for carbon steel dies used in hot sizing operations; as a rust preventive for mild
steel; and as a protective coating for copper alloys during annealing. TURCO PRETREAT minimizes
the need for the extremely corrosive acidic mixtures commonly used to descale heat-treatable alloys.
FEATURES:
TURCO PRETREAT offers these features:
1. Significantly reduces metal loss, intergranular oxidation and surface notching
2. Easy to use
3. Shortens descaling time
4. Minimum equipment requirements

Are those all 3/32" CPM-154?

All but 2, the (K) Apache and the Unnammed one, I am thinking of calling the Shrike are 1/8''

Looking good! Can't wait to see the handles.

Thanks Odaon, Just glued them up last night and cleaned them up this morning. I will start shaping them in a few hours. There are some really cool combinations in this batch and a few new ingredients.

This thread and the FF WIP thread are the ones I look forward to all week.

Thanks for sharing, Chris, look forward to seeing the finished work!

Looking great Chris!

Thank you Guy's I should have some more progress pictures up later today or tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Here is a quick update with pictures before I start shaping the handles. My plan is to have these ready for sale early next week!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Finally hit hot steel to the new Anvil, she ain't new anymore:D:eek: I didn't go to far because I still need to secure it to the base, but I wanted to beat the new off of it finally.

Hosted on Fotki

Looking forward to seeing the finished batch, and what you create on that anvil! :thumbup:;)

Is that the 1/8" Harpoon I spy with some carbon fiber pants on it? :D Looks a smidge thicker than the majority, which I am assuming are 3/32", but it could also be the slight perspective change from the camera point of view. Also can't quite tell... is that a faint swedge on top or just shadow?

Last edited:
Is that the 1/8" Harpoon I spy with some carbon fiber pants on it? :D Looks a smidge thicker than the majority, which I am assuming are 3/32", but it could also be the slight perspective change from the camera point of view. Also can't quite tell... is that a faint swedge on top or just shadow?

Up above, Chris was referring to the harpoon type knife as potentially being named "Shrike". That one is 1/8" and owning one, I can say that the top front of the blade does have an unsharpened swedge. Overall, this really gives it some cool lines and tends to give you the visual perception that it is thinner than it really is - even when its in your hand. Additionally, with the height of the blade being a bit taller, this one is a real slicer!

Hope that helps.

Here's a side photo
HB2wMamushiandIntimidator-vi.jpg

Here's a post on it with some additional pictures and discussion.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1456449-Meet-the-Intimidator

Up above, Chris was referring to the harpoon type knife as potentially being named "Shrike". That one is 1/8" and owning one, I can say that the top front of the blade does have an unsharpened swedge. Overall, this really gives it some cool lines and tends to give you the visual perception that it is thinner than it really is - even when its in your hand. Additionally, with the height of the blade being a bit taller, this one is a real slicer!

Hope that helps.

Thanks! It looks like Chris is still experimenting with the harpoon pattern, the one in this batch looks like it has a much shallower swedge than the one you got. I like them both.

Yesterday I rough shaped this current batch, I am really loving some of this new material I am working with, here are some pictures of what I am getting ready for next week's sales Thread as of right now I am aiming for Tuesday.

I took a few close ups of the knives, so you guys could get a better look at them. They are still at 36 grit rough shaped so if you like the way they look now youll love them once I hand file and sand them. I think they will be spectacular and I am super excited to have some of this new material on my work.

Hosted on Fotki

Oh yeah!!! Blue Glow infused Carbon Fiber

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

My favorite of the new materials so far Copper infused Carbon Fiber

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

(K) Apache with Double Bolstered Lightning Strike CF with Heirloom Grade Koa

Hosted on Fotki

Trail Hand, 1x1 Checkerboard weave CF w/ Jade G10

Hosted on Fotki

Truth be told I'm not sure how I feel about the copper-infused carbon fiber, but I'm definitely excited to see how it turns out!

Back