Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview 03/14/17 - 3/22/17

Here is what I have been working on the last couple of days. There is quite a lot to take in here, and a lot of new variables.

I hope you guy's enjoy the eye candy!

I have been in the middle bit of a creative streak and have been taking advantage of it by getting them down in physical form before they get lost maybe to never be thought of the same again.

I will start with what I closet to finishing up, I heat treated these six blades last night and plan on gluing them up tomorrow and finishing them up this weekend. I intend on posting these few for sale early next week if all goes well.
I have a few one offs in this batch, these were intentional modifications I decided to make to keep things interesting. Chances are most of these one offs will never be made more than once.

These are all 3/32 CPM154

Hosted onFotkiHosted on Fotki

Rangers .182" CPM154, one is a variant I am going to refer to as the soft tail Ranger for now, one of the regular Ranger profiles is going to Fiddleback Outpost.

Hosted on Fotki

Decided to give 3V a try I have some 1/8" and 3/32" hopefully it goes well.

Hosted on Fotki<brHosted on Fotki

Giving S35vn a go again, I am pretty close to having this steel down pat. Last batch I heat treated I lost half of them to warpage, I am going to heat treat these is smaller quantities and a variety of thickness to zero in on the problem I was having. Either way I anticipate being able to complete a fair amount of these. The thickness is 3/32" 1/8" and 5/32"

Hosted on Fotki

I Starting moving forward on these as well, I have decided I am going to attempt a fuller on these, I think they will end up pretty cool.

These are low on the priority list, but I would like to have them finished by Blade Show

Hosted on Fotki

More new side Projects!!!

Is it a bush sword? Is it a machete? Could be both! There is also a Bolo style machete here too.

Hosted on Fotki<brHosted on Fotki<brHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

An overview of everything I have in steel at the moment. I have 5 different steels here and 6 varying thicknesses.
26 individual blades

Hosted on Fotki

And the much anticipated part of this thread by some of you, my first attempt and entry into the Kitchen/Personal dining cutlery area of knives.
I have been working over designs in my head lately. I have had some help from a few off you guys on the Forums some with sharing their user experiences and preferences others providing material support. Those know who they are and I appreciate your support.

The first one is a Butcher style blade I decided to start out with 1/8 for the prototypes. 1095 was all I had laying around in the width and thickness I needed.

Hosted on Fotki

In this picture you can see I refined the butt of the profile.

Hosted on Fotki

The next series of photos of prototypes are not what I would call chef knives they fall more along the lines of what I would call a personal dining knife.

I have some .078" CPM154 on the way I will be trying out on these profiles.

I showed both sides of the stencils because the pencil lines can play with your eyes, the plain side lets you take in the silhouette and overall profile, while the sketch side gives you a rough idea of my intentions for the handle and grind lines

Hosted on FotkiHosted on FotkiHosted on FotkiHosted on FotkiHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking everyone, questions and comments welcome.

Last edited:
:thumbup: looking good Chris! I'm excited to see how they all shape up in the coming weeks.

Wow Chris, it looks as though you have a lot of great stuff in the works. There are a couple designs in the mix that have me very intrigued and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you for the preview and the time spent putting it together.
Sergio

Very interested in seeing the Rangers and everything in S35VN.

EDIT: Chris, will we see any of the S35VN in the upcoming regular sales, or are you stocking up for BLADE?

Last edited:
Thanks for the preview thread Chris. You are on quite a creative streak with the new knife designs (plus the custom bottle opener.). The Butcher knife looks promising as your first entry into larger kitchen designs. I look forward to seeing how these turn out in 3D.

I am most excited to see "K" Raptors coming out in S35VN & 3V. Very cool!

Phil

Dang Chris! I think I might see my next knife in there :)

Great to see the 3V too!

6th picture, 2nd from top, right column ... Is that a version of my scaled-down Apache idea? Kinda hard to tell.

Thanks Chris

Chris:

Your dedication to keeping your customer base updated as to what's coming down the pike is second to none.

The Osprey Nest is vibrating with excitement and so are we !

Peter

:thumbup: looking good Chris! I'm excited to see how they all shape up in the coming weeks.

Damn Chris ur killing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Chris, it looks as though you have a lot of great stuff in the works. There are a couple designs in the mix that have me very intrigued and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you for the preview and the time spent putting it together.
Sergio

Thank you very much for the compliments guys. I look forward to these threads and sharing what I have come up with.

Very interested in seeing the Rangers and everything in S35VN.

EDIT: Chris, will we see any of the S35VN in the upcoming regular sales, or are you stocking up for BLADE?

If everything goes well I plan on sprinkling a few in the sales thread before blade show, I am planning on holding back on some of them for Blade show as well. I am glad you asked!

Thanks for the preview thread Chris. You are on quite a creative streak with the new knife designs (plus the custom bottle opener.). The Butcher knife looks promising as your first entry into larger kitchen designs. I look forward to seeing how these turn out in 3D.

I am most excited to see "K" Raptors coming out in S35VN & 3V. Very cool!

Phil

Thanks Phil, I knew the (K) Raptor is S35vn would peak your interests. I have been on a creative streak lately and when they come I like to take advantage of it even if I get sidetracked by it a little bit.

Dang Chris! I think I might see my next knife in there :)

Great to see the 3V too!

6th picture, 2nd from top, right column ... Is that a version of my scaled-down Apache idea? Kinda hard to tell.

Thanks Chris

Thanks Jerry! I am excited to give the 3v a go, I have heard a lot of great things about it for the user, but nothing but horror stories from knifemakers, I hope it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

That which you are refering too is a (K) Apache, I haven't started on the scaled down Apache as of yet.

This is a hell of a variety and a drool worthy photo update. Thanks Chris!

Thanks man!!!

Chris:

Your dedication to keeping your customer base updated as to what's coming down the pike is second to none.

The Osprey Nest is vibrating with excitement and so are we !

Peter

Thank you Peter, I like to try and keep you guys informed to what is in the works. I realize I can be a little bit unpredictable and sporadic in my craft and communication, so I feel keeping you guys informed helps alleviate any confusion or missing information that may arise from that.

I am glad you take notice to that. I hope to keep you guys on your toes with anticipation. Now it's time for me to start making those knives!!

Last edited:
Some really exciting projects happening. I am liking the variety in steel options you are attempting to put out there with your work. I think everyone will appreciate the option to possibly score a knife in a potentially preferred steel.

Cool to watch the creativity flowing

Some really exciting projects happening. I am liking the variety in steel options you are attempting to put out there with your work. I think everyone will appreciate the option to possibly score a knife in a potentially preferred steel.

I agree. I love all the Andy Roy-trained or -influenced makers, but I like Chris best for the sole reason that he's the only one who regularly works in stainless. I know that's not much of a reason, but all of them do nice handles in a style I like, so the fact that Chris does mostly stainless puts OK&T at the top for me.

I just love the aggressive styles plus the handles truly fit my hand much better than most.

Thanks Danny, I think it is important to increase my knowledge and variety of steel offered, not all steel is equal in certain applications. I like to try and find what steel works best for that particular blade style, sometimes several steels are desirable in certain style of blade, but preferences can vary from user to user. I like to think like you said helping offer variety as well as providing myself with more areas to experiment and grow.

I am enjoying the creative streak at the moment, It is time to put the pencil down for now and get busy making these knives I have designed, Blade Show is around the corner and I have big ambitions.

I agree. I love all the Andy Roy-trained or -influenced makers, but I like Chris best for the sole reason that he's the only one who regularly works in stainless. I know that's not much of a reason, but all of them do nice handles in a style I like, so the fact that Chris does mostly stainless puts OK&T at the top for me.

Thank you for the compliments, I found early on when I started out making knives I enjoy working with stainless steels. I like working with several other steels including high carbon steels. I find there is a lot of benefit to the user when the blade is of high quality stainless steel. I look forward to expanding into other stainless and super steels as well.

I just love the aggressive styles plus the handles truly fit my hand much better than most.

Thanks Michael, I am enjoying expressing the aggressive flare at the moment. I am super pleased you and so many others find my handles agreeable to your individual hands. :thumbup::D

Thanks Danny, I think it is important to increase my knowledge and variety of steel offered, not all steel is equal in certain applications. I like to try and find what steel works best for that particular blade style, sometimes several steels are desirable in certain style of blade, but preferences can vary from user to user. I like to think like you said helping offer variety as well as providing myself with more areas to experiment and grow.

I am enjoying the creative streak at the moment, It is time to put the pencil down for now and get busy making these knives I have designed, Blade Show is around the corner and I have big ambitions.

Thank you for the compliments, I found early on when I started out making knives I enjoy working with stainless steels. I like working with several other steels including high carbon steels. I find there is a lot of benefit to the user when the blade is of high quality stainless steel. I look forward to expanding into other stainless and super steels as well.

Thanks Michael, I am enjoying expressing the aggressive flare at the moment. I am super pleased you and so many others find my handles agreeable to your individual hands. :thumbup::D

If you ever find a source of M390, I will become remarkably and rapidly poorer...

Chris, First, What a blast of creative energy! I've been perusing this "image heavy" thread for a couple of days now. Without echoing what everyone else has said, since they said it pretty well, I really appreciate the work and creativity towards all the knives and all the different steels. In particular the kitchen blades because that's the blades I use everyday! I'm looking forward to seeing those come up for sale when they do. Meanwhile I'm still putting the Raptor through it's paces on the cutting board. and beyopund the kitchen I'm really taking a liking to it as an EDC.

Back