Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview (The Journey up to Blade Show 2017)

Last night I scribed a center line down all of these, I think there is roughly 59 in CPM154, 13 of these are going to Fiddlleback Outpost. I have 5 more in CPM154 profiled out I plan on catching up with the rest if the remaining 46 giving me a total of 51 for Blade Show.

I will continue to grind these through the grits for the pre glue up grinds, My plan is to have them finished by tomorrow afternoon and start glueing them up this weekend.

I have half the handles built that I need, the ones I will build this weekend will be the bolsters, largest, and smallest, I have everything in between covered already.

I also have the Extra blades in just in case I happen to finish these on time or early, but more than likely only a few if any will make it to Blade show, no worries on my end though, because I will just pick up where I left off after Blade Show. Along with the 3v and S35vn I have started on.

This is the goal but I am only definitively set on the 51 plus 13 in CPM154 before Blade Show everything after that is extra credit IMO

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I will try to keep you guys up to date so you have an Idea what I will have finished for Blade Show while maintaining my current course. I have a little over 4 weeks left to finish what I started, time to dig deep and bring it home!

Thanks for taking the time to update your path to Blade Show Chris. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking what your table is going to look like when the doors open on Friday at Blade. Can't wait to start seeing the handles take shape over the next few weeks :thumbsup:

This is going to be a stunning group of knives. This has been a phenomenal thread and just gets better. I look forward to seeing all of these but especially the Rangers.

I MUST get to Blade one of these years!

Last edited:
Not sure what these are going to end up as, but they need some blue and I need one..... :D

I have not decided the handles I will put on them yet, Blue is a very good possibility though!

Thanks for taking the time to update your path to Blade Show Chris. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking what your table is going to look like when the doors open on Friday at Blade. Can't wait to start seeing the handles take shape over the next few weeks :thumbsup:

You are welcome Peter! I am getting pretty excited to see the batch shape up too! It will be a lot more and different from last years that is for sure!

This is going to be a stunning group of knives. This has been a phenomenal thread and just gets better. I look forward to seeing all of these but especially the Rangers.

I MUST get to Blade one of these years!

Thank you Dave! If you ever get a chance to make it out one of these years it is worth it,and I promise you won't be disappointed with Blade Show in general. There is really nothing else to compare to as far as knives are concerned.

Holy heck that's a LOT of work behind you and ahead of you!

It is quite a haul and I will be squeezing it in tight. I am over halfway there though!

At this stage I have used an 80 grit belt and removed any of the remaining steel I need to to maintain my blade geometry, next I will progress from 120 grit to a rough A100 prior to glue up, that way all I have to do when I done with the handle is pass the knife over the A100 belt a few times to get a nice even finish and remove any scratches or scuff that occurred during the handle shaping or finishing process

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

1095 steel

Hosted on Fotki'

Questions and comments welcome!

I hope to have an update again here soon as the batch evolves through the process.

Chris,

You continue to blow our minds with all the new models you have in the works as well as the sheer volume of knives you have in the pipeline. I am amazed by what I see. In particular, the chef knives above. I am curious how you decided on 1095 as the steel of choice for these?

I hope that you get some rest between now and Blade.

Phil

Chris,

You continue to blow our minds with all the new models you have in the works as well as the sheer volume of knives you have in the pipeline. I am amazed by what I see. In particular, the chef knives above. I am curious how you decided on 1095 as the steel of choice for these?

I hope that you get some rest between now and Blade.

Phil

Thank you Phil, I got a little behind the weekend before last, pulled a muscle in my forearm grinding all those knives, it slowed me down for a few days so I had to make up for lost time over the last week. But despite the setback everything looks exceptionally well and I continue to improve!

The Chef's knife is coming along nicely, it was a challenge to grind, even though it is .125" the Blade height allows for similar geometry to the main bevel as your 1/16'' Nomad,
I chose 1095 for a couple of reasons, it is relatively inexpensive to obtain in various sizes and work with, it is a simple alloy and makes an excellent chef knife, alot of the times when trying out new designs I am unfamiliar with I will revert back to a High Carbon steel. Once I get comfortable with a design I then move on to other steels, in this particular case, maybe some AEB-L, W2 or 3v in the future.

Here is an Update,
The weekend before last I had pulled a muscle in my left forearm grinding all those knives, it slowed me down for a few days and I had to make up for lost time this last week and weekend, I have 46 knives glued up, 14 of those are shaped at this point, I have 13 more of the smallest I am glueing up tonight giving me a total of 59. Fiddleback outpost is getting 13 leaving me 46 at this point for Blade Show. I had planned on catching up on 5 more but that is looking less and less likely. I plan on having the remaining 45 shaped by Thursday evening.

I hope to have a few pictures to share over the next few days.... This is turning out to be one hell of a batch and the most Ospreys ever gathered in one place!!

Here is an Update,
The weekend before last I had pulled a muscle in my left forearm grinding all those knives, it slowed me down for a few days and I had to make up for lost time this last week and weekend, I have 46 knives glued up, 14 of those are shaped at this point, I have 13 more of the smallest I am glueing up tonight giving me a total of 59. Fiddleback outpost is getting 13 leaving me 46 at this point for Blade Show. I had planned on catching up on 5 more but that is looking less and less likely. I plan on having the remaining 45 shaped by Thursday evening.

I hope to have a few pictures to share over the next few days.... This is turning out to be one hell of a batch and the most Ospreys ever gathered in one place!!

You are working like a madman! Mad respect! Can't wait to see everything you've done, but don't put yourself out of commission doing it!

Can't wait to see the progress Chris. Sounds like you're still kicking ass.

Thanks Odaon, I am chipping away at them they are turning out pretty nice, I am very pleased.

Sorry to hear about your arm and hope you're feeling better.

Thanks Jerry, only slowed me down for a few days but I had no time to spare so I have been playing catch-up the last few weeks!

I have some pictures for you guy's!
In the photographs I took Friday in total 55 are in the rough shape, fresh off the grinder, I hand filed these all weekend and started cleaning up the spines Sunday.
I will begin sanding these tonight and throughout the remainder of the week.

Hosted on Fotki

Closer Photos (These are still in rough shape)

These 13 are going to Fiddleback outpost for Blade Show.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Blade Show Batch!

These 42 will be at my Table (4G)

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
Great stuff Chris! Are you going to be selling some online like last year?

Back