OT: Gear and Tools Used by SURVIVORS!

The guide that took me out a few weeks ago had a 24' Carolina Skiff and he built a blind for the boat. I've seen a bunch of blinds that are made for skiffs that you could buy. But I think it would be more fun building one for your boat.

Woohoo! I love seeing all this gear! Riz, way to go. I'm sure that will upgrade your hunting life style.

Karoi, nice report on the cooler.

cpu, very cool slingshot! I'm sure being hand made puts it in a higher category, but it reminds me of the pocket predator. I seemed to see a bunch of reviews on it all at once a few months ago.

http://www.pocketpredator.com/two.html

The family went to get a Christmas over the weekend. Guess who forgot to bring his own saw? I thought the difference in cuts was pretty surprising.

On the left is my Silky Saw (bought from the S!K website) that I used for a final trim when we got home. On the right is the work done by the sucky saw provided by the tree lot.

My pack of choice is alps gear...I have basically a fanny pack that turns into a back pack that turns into a turkey pack....all with attachments you can buy to add different bags and the best part of all is they are reasonably priced and won't kill your budget.

Titan cord,2nd that motion. Great stuff.

I wear muck boots unless I am doing a big hike of more than 5 miles or so and then I wear Merrell boots. I haven't tried Solomon and some of the other better hikers thst have been mentioned but I cannot complain about my Merrell boots

I have a Matt leswinsky (spelling??) knife that I use for edc and another ml knife I use for camping and hiking. You can't go wrong with ML knives...little pricey but we'll worth the cost and will last forever.

I take cheapo rain gear with me...I'm open to suggestions if y'all have any good rain gear that you like and is easy to pack and wear.

Last but not least my favorite item I take on big trips in the wilderness is my Hill People Gear mountain serape....I have used that thing to keep warm more times than I can count and it can be used for multiple uses. Main lyrics though it's to keep me warm so I don't have to wear so many layers that I am bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had to look up that serape. Looks really versatile.

I love my Merrell moabs!

As far as rain gear, the Frogg Toggs poncho is on my short list of hiking gear. It's light weight and packable and seems pretty well liked. They also make a type of rain suit including pants.

Time to look up knife maker.

Finally got the book I had been eyeing up for awhile. We've had some serious freezing rain here in the last week. I'm ready to kick back with hot tea and do some reading.

rm8LsSj.jpg

Finally got the book I had been eyeing up for awhile. We've had some serious freezing rain here in the last week. I'm ready to kick back with hot tea and do some reading.

rm8LsSj.jpg

Silver! I expect a full book report when you're done, I have been eyeing similar books!

Silver! I expect a full book report when you're done, I have been eyeing similar books!

Oh for sure. Single spaced or double? :D

I'm not through first chapter (about packs), but I like it. So far it's got more of an oldschool feel with a lot of references to rucksacks and basket packs and carving yourself a simple pack frame. No mentions of Cordura or MOLLE or closed cell foam.

Yes I am going to need a full report on that book! That is one thing I need more of. Ide like a book on wild edibles and one on land navigation and one on bushcraft techniques and one on escape and evasion.

One of the coolest trainings I got to go to was a two week trackng school. It was taught by one of the guys who teaches the US Border Patrol. Theres actually a system to it and it works. Pretty cool.

Yes I am going to need a full report on that book! That is one thing I need more of. Ide like a book on wild edibles and one on land navigation and one on bushcraft techniques and one on escape and evasion.

One of the coolest trainings I got to go to was a two week trackng school. It was taught by one of the guys who teaches the US Border Patrol. Theres actually a system to it and it works. Pretty cool.

I'd love to take a course like that, so many useful applications.

I'm going to pick up some Vortex Diamondback 10x42's,, anyone have any experience with them?

Vortex makes pretty good stuff. I went with Nikon Monarchs because when I compared them with others they were the clearest for the cash. By comparing, I mean actually looking througt them. I went to a bunch of different stores to do so. Vortex and Leupolds were my runner ups. Leupold is made in the USA and has a sick warranty. I have one of their scopes on my Ruger Scout Rifle

Already posted this pic, but thought I'd add it to the gear thread.

Vortex makes some killer optics, and the Diamondbacks are a great option for the money.
Waterproof, fog proof, and a lifetime unconditional warranty.

Check em out Survivors!

b633dc3df5383b2a9a95a08753ded299.jpg

That is a nice list of books and topics. I'm not expecting Bushcraft 101 to go super in depth, but it's interesting. That class sounds awesome! It's like I always say: a class is worth a thousand books.

I'm going to pick up some Vortex Diamondback 10x42's,, anyone have any experience with them?
Vortex makes pretty good stuff. I went with Nikon Monarchs because when I compared them with others they were the clearest for the cash. By comparing, I mean actually looking througt them. I went to a bunch of different stores to do so. Vortex and Leupolds were my runner ups. Leupold is made in the USA and has a sick warranty. I have one of their scopes on my Ruger Scout Rifle
I'm sold on these Vortex Diamondbacks, 10x40. So much for the money, and a lifetime unconditional warranty to boot!
63cfa5dd8320a13b3962c7892a826541.jpg
You didn't waste any time, rcb! I hope you don't mind me pulling your sweet pic from the other thread.
EDIT: I'm JUST now noticing you already posted above me in this thread. Whoops.......... :D

So what have you been using the Vortex for mostly? What made you decide on them? What do you like about them, now that you have them?

Last edited:
Haha, coffee fueled posting :D

I got them for everything from birdwatching with the kids, to glassing fields for deer or sheds.
I think a good set of binoculars is something everyone should own.

I knew I wanted the best 10x42 I could get for under 250.
I went to Bass Pro Shop and looked through a bunch of different binoculars, the Vortex had great clarity, ergos, and the warranty is the real icing on the cake.

I haven't found anything I don't like yet! I was a little worried 10x42 would be too much magnification for the woods of Virginia, at that size the image can be really shaky sometimes. It's not an issue at all though, and when I head back to Utah that power will be great for those open deserts and mountains.

Love my Vortex optics!
Razor 10x42 HD Binoculars
Razor 11-33X50 HD compact spotting scope
Viper PST 2.4-10x44 rifle scope..

Here's a pic of my binoculars on the tripod when I was fitting the tripod adaptor.

Love my Vortex optics!

Nice!
I saw they had a new line at Shotshow, the Fury HD,, rangefinder and binocs in one package, very cool
Now I just need to hit that Powerball so I can get it ;)

Day gear for exploring.
Silky gomboy
GB Outdoors...
I can get lots done with this trio.

I love my GB SFA,, need to upgrade to a a Silky from my Laplander for sure

Day gear for exploring.
Silky gomboy
GB Outdoors...

I can get lots done with this trio.
Is there anything you COULDN'T get done with that trio?! :D

rcb, I keep hearing great things about all sizes of Silkys. I bought a big boy 2000 from SURVIVE! and I really like it. Cuts amazingly well and I like the size. With that said I still love my Bahco. I like the light weight and that it locks in the closed position.

If you have a saw along, does the axe get used mainly for splitting?

Love my Vortex optics!

Here's a pic of my binoculars on the tripod when I was fitting the tripod adaptor.

Nice set up! Just like rcb's the Vortex are way sexier than the Leupolds I was looking at. Not to knock Leupold's performance. If the Vortex really are that good, they come in at almost half the cost of the Nikons. Until I get that winning powerball ticket, it makes the Vortex pretty appealing!

Back