OT: Gear and Tools Used by SURVIVORS!

Day gear for exploring.
Silky gomboy
GB Outdoors...

I can get lots done with this trio.

Nice set up! I have a similar pack but my axe is not as nice....I might need to rethink upgrading my gear!

Last edited:
Finally got the book I had been eyeing up for awhile. We've had some serious freezing rain here in the last week. I'm ready to kick back with hot tea and do some reading.

rm8LsSj.jpg

Silver - You might want to look at this little gem.

I have ax envy! My Husqvarna is a great little ax but it's not a GB.

I have a couple Husqvarnas and a couple GBs, I use the Husqvarnas more often. The GB's thin profile doesn't fare well on hardwoods which is most of what is in my neck of the woods.

I have a small forest axe, but have really been pining for a small hatchet, the Medford bearded hatchet or one from Ben Tendick, really speak to me...

Just before elk season kicked off here last fall, I tore out a zipper on my old underarmour pack. I went into scramble mode trying to pick up a decent pack that I wouldn't regret buying with two days to do the research and get it secured. I settled on the Badlands Diablo II and was able to snag the last one at our local Sportsmans Warehouse.

I wasn't sure I'd ever use the rifle holder feature, but it came in handy later that fall with a whitetail buck on the ground by myself. Also the stand-off structure that keeps the pack off your back is great. Getting that extra air movement between you and the pack makes it much cooler, definitely the most comfortable pack I've been able to use. If I've got one gripe, it's that there could be more small interior pockets to organize gear. I like to keep everything in its spot for working 'blind.' Add more ability to do that, and this pack would go from very good to great.

Silver - You might want to look at this little gem.

Looks interesting! Even after googling Creek Stewart, I can't figure out why his name sounds so familiar. I think I've just seen other books of his on the shelf at the book store.

HK, glad you found a pack you like. My latest infatuation has been the Camelbak mil tac HAWG. It looks perfect for a day or a half wandering in the Woods, that's kind of my thing.

Just before elk season kicked off here last fall, I tore out a zipper on my old underarmour pack. I went into scramble mode trying to pick up a decent pack that I wouldn't regret buying with two days to do the research and get it secured. I settled on the Badlands Diablo II and was able to snag the last one at our local Sportsmans Warehouse.

I wasn't sure I'd ever use the rifle holder feature, but it came in handy later that fall with a whitetail buck on the ground by myself. Also the stand-off structure that keeps the pack off your back is great. Getting that extra air movement between you and the pack makes it much cooler, definitely the most comfortable pack I've been able to use. If I've got one gripe, it's that there could be more small interior pockets to organize gear. I like to keep everything in its spot for working 'blind.' Add more ability to do that, and this pack would go from very good to great.

Cool pack HK at a reasonable price too. I need one for a pair of shotguns for upland hunting, dove and for geese. Carrying 3 bags and a seated bucket is a pain.

Looks interesting! Even after googling Creek Stewart, I can't figure out why his name sounds so familiar. I think I've just seen other books of his on the shelf at the book store.
- I am not sure but I think I've see him or references made to him about building out a bug out bag. It's a spectacular book even for just reading.

HK, glad you found a pack you like. My latest infatuation has been the Camelbak mil tac HAWG. It looks perfect for a day or a half wandering in the Woods, that's kind of my thing.

He hosts a show called "Fat guys in the woods" on the weather channel, a true hidden gem!!

Cool pack HK at a reasonable price too. I need one for a pair of shotguns for upland hunting, dove and for geese. Carrying 3 bags and a seated bucket is a pain.

Very reasonable price for what you get. Great warranty too.

mixing it up here a little - this some of the gear I use...
TCPbNNrm.jpg

I've been around big cranes and massive machinery for a couple decades now. Ran construction project all over the place. This stuff is pretty routine, and yet... Maybe it's just me but I have a blast watching really big machinery go to work. In particular, really good crane operator teams are something else to watch. One mistake can make the simplest pick dangerous and life threatening (I've seen that), and if done well, even the most dangerous lifts are made to look mundane (that's what you hope for!).

Last edited:
He hosts a show called "Fat guys in the woods" on the weather channel, a true hidden gem!!

Sounds interesting! I like Alone for some of the same reasons. The drama is minimal, but still has a little "reality show" flavor to it. I've seen way worse, though.

OBX, I think the book about bug out skills is the Creek book I saw.

TR, I can't see the pic!

Sounds interesting! I like Alone for some of the same reasons. The drama is minimal, but still has a little "reality show" flavor to it. I've seen way worse, though.

OBX, I think the book about bug out skills is the Creek book I saw.

TR, I can't see the pic!

Already posted this pic, but thought I'd add it to the gear thread.

Vortex makes some killer optics, and the Diamondbacks are a great option for the money.
Waterproof, fog proof, and a lifetime unconditional warranty.

Check em out Survivors!

b633dc3df5383b2a9a95a08753ded299.jpg

There certainly some great options in moderately priced binoculars these days. If anyone if looking for a good 8x43 or 10x32 at a bargain price, drop me a line.

Back