Our "Front Porch" ....

Reporting back to the folks on The Front Porch... My first and last gun show. I am an avid .22LR benchrest target shooter and a volunteer (>200 hours/year) Range Officer at our non-profit gun range).

The show, a very large one, wildly undershot my expectations. Black guns, black gun parts, black gun paraphenalia from one end to the other. (No offense intended, just not my thing.) A few tables of $5-25 "imported" knives, a few tables of not-well-made handmade knives, and a few tables of WW/Communist Block/Nazi firearms. Lots of surplus ammo.

Glad for the experience, primarily because I had a fellow range officer and friend with me.

Being new to this ol' "Front Porch," I thought I'd show some of my knive-loving neighbors a new knife, a knife unlike any I have seen before.

It is an heirloom, intended for my Grandson (now 3 years old). The "Gambler's Hideaway Bowie" was just finished by John Doyle of Michigan and was on display at this past weekend's Seattle Blade Show (which I attended).

Gamblers%20Hideaway%20Bowie_zpsvikohjnf.jpg

Cards anyone?

Last edited:
brought my User spanto To venezia für the Weekend: just finished an outstanding meal:

have a nice weekend everyone!

well, i certainly don't feel like adapting each and everything that comes from the states (or any other foreign contry for that matter), but i'd love to have a front porch. still it's not the way things work over here... instead we meet our neighbours when doing garden work :D
(a front porch and one of the oldtimer chairs ;) )

well, i certainly don't feel like adapting each and everything that comes from the states (or any other foreign contry for that matter), but i'd love to have a front porch. still it's not the way things work over here... instead we meet our neighbours when doing garden work :D
(a front porch and one of the oldtimer chairs ;) )

Garden work sounds like a great way to spend time.... I don't remember if I posted a pic (I assume I did) but I enjoy my Front (and Back) Porch very much and I do have Four(4) Rockers out on the front one, Fixed chairs on the rear.
My beloved Hummingbirds have returned for the season. I was sitting out there two nights ago (no feeders) when "Gus" flew right up to my face like he does every year as much as to say, "Lets go Old Man where's the Food chop chop"

The Bear is back as well, Smashed ALL the bird feeders in the back yard and Pulled the Top Off the septic system :eek: Really!

I'm not happy with Mr. Bear, He just cost me about $500 and for what? Nothing. The pump must have kicked on and He "thought" it was a Bee's Nest under ground.
Wow.

A small price to pay for living where you do, Rubi....it's gorgeous.....
Although not sure I'd be too happy about a bear in the backyard....:D
It would kind of suck at BBQ time......

As an aside, I am wavering on my decision to boycott Facebook.....the pull of the Hinderer is strong :D.....you ever go on there, Rubi...??

A small price to pay for living where you do, Rubi....it's gorgeous.....
Although not sure I'd be too happy about a bear in the backyard....:D
It would kind of suck at BBQ time......

As an aside, I am wavering on my decision to boycott Facebook.....the pull of the Hinderer is strong :D.....you ever go on there, Rubi...??

I have held a line on "social media" that I wish I had held on cell phones..... assuming my not including this forum in the social media bundle isn't just a form of self-delusion.
I now sit back and watch the domino's fall.... not talking about RHK (obviously) but the general social media flu that has infected the world around me.
From "T-groups" and their recruitment to online dating and Craigs List murders..... I'm sure in the course of History people have had bad things happen to them on their real "Front Porches" but I doubt as Historians look back the Front Porch will ever be credited with a sudden and unexpected paradigm shift in American Culture or the World for that matter.
Yes, it can be argued that a lot of positive may have come as well But, on balance I will give "social media" a big "C-" in the grade book and the "C" is for what was at its core and it was - Cash not the betterment of mankind.

Jim Gaffigan (in female voice) - "Oooh.... what got into Him, I just asked him a simple question and look at the size of his Head now, I hope it doesn't P0P!".

I completely forgot to answer the question, No Ross - Me No Speaky FBy :)

My Brother N Law went to see him and they got to do the meet and greet. He posed for all kinds of hilarious pics with him, my sister and kids. Seems like a cool guy!

My Brother N Law went to see him and they got to do the meet and greet. He posed for all kinds of hilarious pics with him, my sister and kids. Seems like a cool guy!

I saw him in concert as well, nice guy. Funny while clean - Tougher Job. Only the Greats can pull that off IMO.

my whole family (teen kids included) LOVE Jim Gaffigan... we missed seeing him in Boston not too long ago and lo and behold he turned one of the Boston shows into an album.

Next time - really hoping to catch him live!

Back