• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal Fees

Are you worried that the plane is going to fall into the water?

As if the packages will survive a land crash better than a water crash? It makes no sense to me either, no customs to go through, full tracking to destination...I don't see a difference from the other 48 states.

And yeah, just give me the price for it shipped to my door paid via Goods and Services...That's all that matters to me.

~Chip

As if the packages will survive a land crash better than a water crash? It makes no sense to me either, no customs to go through, full tracking to destination...I don't see a difference from the other 48 states.

And yeah, just give me the price for it shipped to my door paid via Goods and Services...That's all that matters to me.

~Chip

So something like...$600 NET to me, stock photos from Knife Center available upon third request, PayPal F&F or add 4.8422% to sum of the NET payment and the GROSS payment minus shipping fees (on the buyer) divided by two, CONUS only (excluding , all responsibility for lost, damaged, undelivered, and/or unshipped packages falls on the buyer, must be 18 or older, first "I'll take it" followed by a registered letter to the above P.O. box gets it, I reserve the right to re-sell the knife after accepting payment from someone else.

I also chuckle at "My lawyer says YOU are responsible for local knife laws" or something along those lines

So something like...$600 NET to me, stock photos from Knife Center available upon third request, PayPal F&F or add 4.8422% to sum of the NET payment and the GROSS payment minus shipping fees (on the buyer) divided by two, CONUS only (excluding , all responsibility for lost, damaged, undelivered, and/or unshipped packages falls on the buyer, must be 18 or older, first "I'll take it" followed by a registered letter to the above P.O. box gets it, I reserve the right to re-sell the knife after accepting payment from someone else.

You forgot "If you want insurance it's extra $" ;)

~Chip

As regards stating a "net to me" price in a sales thread, I find the practice annoying, but not a deal-breaker. However, I would never buy nor sell F&F as the practice is both dishonest and just plain dumb. Secondly, while I do tend to move on from sales threads asking "net", if I do really want the knife I'll PM and offer the asking price G&S (or a reasonable offer for less). Sellers usually agree, and the deal is struck. If not, I'll move on. I also won't rush, as I want to take the time to check feedback and price.

On a couple of occasions I've added the correct fee to the ask if the knife was a good deal, but I'd never pay more than the actual fee for the point of origin. After all, the bottom line is the bottom line and my head won't explode doing a little math to get a good deal. Asking net is just dopey and lazy, though, and I think Brancron is correct with his point regarding "parroting".

I rather unthinkingly parroted the CONUS thing myself, until a recent Hawaiian buyer asked if I'd ship there, the postal fees and Priority delivery being quite the same as Alaska and the other 48. My sales language now reads "Paypal G&S fees and Priority Flat Rate shipping to US addresses are included", as I am no more afraid of the plane falling into the water than crashing on land. :eek:

~Chip

Ok that was a good one, gave me away at work laughing :p

I also chuckle at "My lawyer says YOU are responsible for local knife laws" or something along those lines

You forgot "If you want insurance it's extra $" ;)

~Chip

You guys are right, though, as there are plenty of people too dumb to buy from. Which is why I usually do move on....

100.00 x2.9% + .30 = $3.20

100.00 + 3.5% = $3.50

500.00 x 2.9% + .30 = $14.80

500.00 3.5% = $ 17.50

Really folks ?

If $ 0.30 on 100.00 or $ 2.70 on $ 500.00 is a deal breaker for you then maybe you really can't afford it or are you all so righteous it makes you ill to see someone get an xtra 30 cents. 😂

I have clients who will kindly add the paypal fees to their payment. I would never ask it.

If you charge more to use PayPal that is a violation of the paypal agreement.

If someone wants the full price then require MO or Check as payment. If you use PAYPAL do not require the customer to pay the fee.

100.00 + 3.5% = $3.50

500.00 3.5% = $ 17.50

Really folks ?

If $ 0.30 on 100.00 or $ 2.70 on $ 500.00 is a deal breaker for you then maybe you really can't afford it or are you all so righteous it makes you ill to see someone get an xtra 30 cents. 😂

Honestly, I get more upset about people abusing the system to avoid paying the fees that they agreed to when signing up for PayPal (using F&F or net to me/fees added wording). I wonder if there's an easy way to report abuse to PayPal?

And, Hi Mark! Been a long time, if you still talk to Tim (Groundhog66) tell him I said "Hi!"

~Chip

Honestly, I get more upset about people abusing the system to avoid paying the fees that they agreed to when signing up for PayPal (using F&F or net to me/fees added wording). I wonder if there's an easy way to report abuse to PayPal?

And, Hi Mark! Been a long time, if you still talk to Tim (Groundhog66) tell him I said "Hi!"

~Chip

Right. It's not about the cost, but the dishonesty of the seller. Personally I'm fine covering the fees (like taxes it leaves a bitter taste but that's life) but atleast have the decency to ask for the correct fee amount, and the courtesy to include it in the price, not this net to me crap.

Right. It's not about the cost, but the dishonesty of the seller. Personally I'm fine covering the fees (like taxes it leaves a bitter taste but that's life) but atleast have the decency to ask for the correct fee amount, and the courtesy to include it in the price, not this net to me crap.

:thumbup: for your point-of-view regarding :thumbdn: for dishonesty. Paypal provides a service for which they're entitled to be compensated. It's also dumb to pass up the protection that the very modest fee for their service provides.

Again, the bottom line is the bottom line and the G&S fee is part of the cost of doing business, so, in the end, the party making payment bears the cost anyway. When I put something up for sale, I start with what I want to net then add the fee and advertise that price G&S. The only justification I can see for asking net is if the seller will accept a money order or other non-fee-based payment. I accepted one money order transaction and, even though the buyer was a good and honest person, waiting for the payment in the mail and getting the MO cashed was a PIA. I'll take the security and immediacy afforded by the 2.9% + $.30 PP G&S fee any day.

People do it because they're parroting what they see other people do in their sales threads. It's a vicious circle. The same goes with phrases such as "CONUS only" (when USPS priority shipping costs exactly the same for non-contiguous states) and other such nonsense. People might try to come up with post hoc justifications for their ridiculous sales verbiage, but I'd guess that 95% of the time they've put no thought into the matter.

Sorry for the bitter tone; I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Agree
This and many start selling their cheap stuff to fund their new wants. The cheaper the price the higher the %
a $25 item would run about 4.1% if I did the math right($25*.029+$.30). They then think this is the norm and never adjust as they sell higher price items.
Foreign fees are of course different
I have never had any problem getting a seller to adjust the fee to a correct Net price. If I want the item, the way they list it won't be a deal breaker, but I won't pay the excess fees either.
Of course 1 price for all solves all this and will keep all happy(at least on fees)

Are you saying you don't consult a lawyer when selling a knife? You like living on the edge I see.

Your pun game is sharp! :)

And if you were serious, no I don't. I chuckle because I don't see how a snippet from "my lawyer" clears you of any possible ill effects of selling a knife (are there even any?)

Last edited:
I could be wrong but what I observed is that the higher the price the more likely the ad would say "NET to me." Just take a look at all shirogorov sales threads.

Your pun game is sharp! :)

And if you were serious, no I don't. I chuckle because I don't see how a snippet from "my lawyer" clears you of any possible ill effects of selling a knife (are there even any?)
sarcasm is what it was. I thought it was funny some guy consulting a lawyer before selling a 50 or 100 dollars knife. Made me chuckle.

100.00 + 3.5% = $3.50

500.00 3.5% = $ 17.50

Really folks ?

Alternatively the seller ought just include it in his price. I'll not sort out his net for him. If he won't do that for himself, I'll just pass.

I am with others who pass when I have to do math, I am a fan of tell me what you want, bake in the fees and shipping into your price just let me know what you want in PP.

I don't care that they get an extra $.50, it just bugs me to open XLS.

Back