• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal Fees

Yet another reason to use goods and services when buying off the exchange. I purchased a Sebenza last Tuesday from a seller who has good feedback and gave a price with fees, shipping and insurance included instead of F&F or add whatever percent. Well as it turns out it's lost, the PO can't find it, they say it was received locally last week but beyond that there is no record of it. Not to say they won't find it, but it looks like it's gone. The good news is the seller gets his money back and I get my money back rant over.

I use goods and services only. Yes PR is USPS but the only time I lost something is when I shipped there. Never again. Not worth the hassle.

Because it is a shipping risk I choose not to take, Sorry you take offense to it,
AK and HI don't have customs. We are states. Instead of "CONUS" (which means contiguous United States) why not state "No international?" Clears it up for us not in the "Lower 48" as we refer to you. :thumbsup:

Even though it's a couple extra dollars here and there it does irritate me when people ask higher PP fees.

Just to add, Many of the folks here put their sales add together with the thought that it more likely to sell to the lower 48. The sales price is a fixed cost for the package to arrive at the buyers door, this makes it easy for the buyer, and seller. Also, many folks have never had the postal service loose items, including blades. One time I lost car bumpers shipped USPS, it does happen. The fact is that there is a better chance loosing an item when shipping further distances. Living in the southeast, is not living in Oregon. I am not aware what a couple extra dollars is for Alaska, and Hawaii. For myself it is goods and services always, when I have indicated price generally it is well under priced for the item and I do not choose to negotiate additional costs. On top of this without insuring an $200.00 item if lost the seller will eat it the cost if the item is lost or stolen.

I will reword my posts for my next sale I will include: US Sales Only, Lower (48) including AK & HI.
"If Alaska/Hawaii sale, buyer pays shipping up charges and insurance as valued"
It is just a few more words.

The sales price is a fixed cost for the package to arrive at the buyers door, this makes it easy for the buyer, and seller.

I will reword my posts for my next sale I will include: US Sales Only, Lower (48) including AK & HI.
"If Alaska/Hawaii sale, buyer pays shipping up charges and insurance as valued"
It is just a few more words.

^ :thumbsup:

The first year selling on this forum, I would post "CONUS" in my sales thread's...that is until I read comments posted by Rev Devil and Esav. They enlightened the GBU sub-forum, that for example: a priority small USPS flat rate box, will cost the same, whether it's shipped to the lower 48, or Alaska/Hawaii.

They are correct!

That's good to know KELAMA! Appreciate the input:) Makes it even easier than thought... TD

Thank you. I still don't know why people think the flat rate changes... :rolleyes:

They're confused by the fact that FedEx and UPS do charge more for the distant states, and the USPS does not.

Flat Rate fees of the USPS have to do with the size of the box trumping the weight.
Hence the saying "If it fits, it ships...".

They're confused by the fact that FedEx and UPS do charge more for the distant states, and the USPS does not.

Flat Rate fees of the USPS have to do with the size of the box trumping the weight.
I know. However, I can say in all the years I've been buying knives over the internet I've had 1 maybe 2 not ship USPS and those were from dealers. Safe to assume most sellers from the forums are using USPS and are just ignorant to the fact that a flat rate box has a flat rate. It's not just knives either. Lots of online shops try to upcharge when shipping to AK.

Hell, I'd rather pay the few extra dollars from people having higher PP fees than what some people add to shipping charges.

Hell, I'd rather pay the few extra dollars from people having higher PP fees than what some people add to shipping charges.
Stop going along with adding extra to cover the sellers' fees. They'll continue asking for them as long as people keep adding them.

Stop going along with adding extra to cover the sellers' fees. They'll continue asking for them as long as people keep adding them.
I don't. I pay the proper amount. I was just saying when people charge more % in PP fees it's typically cheaper than what they try to charge when shipping to AK.

Don't worry I'm on your side. :thumbsup:

You're on my side; but you pay the proper amount? Please explain.

Here's a hint about which side I'm on - quoted from my previous post in this thread:
the seller is responsible for the fees, and should just build them into the posted price if the intent is to have them covered. No additional verbiage is needed, which makes things simpler for everybody. The price is ___.

In a perfect world I'd prefer a set price that I send the seller. $500 is $500 and not $500 +3% and add $50 for shipping.

Buuuuut, it's not a perfect world. So if the seller asks for the proper PayPal fee and isn't over charging, I'll play ball.

I was just stating that I would rather overpay a little bit for improper PP % fees than what some people think it cost to ship to me in AK. I'd rather there not be any added fees in the beginning. I think it's laziness on the sellers part. If they want to net $500 they should set a firm price higher so they get $500 after PP fees and shipping costs.

If the price is posted as $350, and includes wording that states I have to add money to cover the fee, I'm moving on. (Occasionally, of it's something I've been waiting for, I'll contact the seller; and purchase if they agree to waive the fee requirement).
If separate prices are listed for f&f vs g&s, I'm gone.
Net? Nope.

I spent years on a site (for another hobby) where the membership would not tolerate that nonsense. When new people came along trying it, they were reminded that it was their fee & it was a violation of their user agreements to pass it along to the buyer in that manner. If they chose not to change how they presented prices, their sales suffered because people wouldn't buy from them. Requests for gift payments were treated the same way.

One thing I've noticed here is that some sellers aren't very smart. They'll refuse an offer to pay the posted price, minus the addition of the fees; then reduce the price by more than the amount of those fees a day or two later.

USPS will charge more or less for distance unless you use their flat rate options. Just to be clear. If I'm shipping a town away priority, I'm not using flat rate because it will be cheaper to just use my own packaging and priority alone. If I'm shipping to Hawaii it will be flat rate all the way!

I've done a fair bit of selling (and buying) on BF and I always cover fees and shipping by pricing my item accordingly. As far as I'm concerned, the seller always sets the terms of the sale, period. Hell, if he/she wants to add 15% to the listed price for boxes, booze, bubble wrap, tape, labels, condoms, they can. It's their property to sell. Is it a dick move? Likely. However, buyers always have the choice whether to accept those terms, or not. It's no different than buying from any brick-and-mortar or online merchant with various terms, fees, shipping & handling charges, etc.

I've done a fair bit of selling (and buying) on BF and I always cover fees and shipping by pricing my item accordingly. As far as I'm concerned, the seller always sets the terms of the sale, period. Hell, if he/she wants to add 15% to the listed price for boxes, booze, bubble wrap, tape, labels, condoms, they can. It's their property to sell. Is it a dick move? Likely. However, buyers always have the choice whether to accept those terms, or not. It's no different than buying from any brick-and-mortar or online merchant with various terms, fees, shipping & handling charges, etc.

It is different.

If the seller is using PayPal they have specifically agreed to NOT charge any additional fees to cover their cost of using the service. By asking the buyer to pay the fees owed by the seller they are telling you that they are willing to cheat and steal.

Companies that use a credit card service bureau to deal with their credit card transactions are specifically forbidden to charge more for using a credit card, it's in their service agreement.

The fact that some online as well as mail order and brick and mortar businesses still add charges that they've agreed not to doesn't make their actions right, it simply identifies those companies as being run by dishonest people.

In addition to the agreements , there are legal injunctions that forbid companies from advertising one price and then increasing it when a customer tries to pay with a credit card. It's a form of bait and switch advertising and it's not just a "dick move" it's illegal.

Back