Photos of tactical knives in use

after looking at markymark, he has his weapon upside down! he would have to unsling, flip his weapon, then shoulder and fire. too much wasted movement, big no no. that's hollywood for you!

Ideally, the rifle stays slung and swings around into position.

GB

A. Here's the deal. I can tell you from at least the Army's perspective, the snipers rifle is always pointed up because the barrel is so long, if upside down, it would hit obstacles near the soldier like doorways and the like, possibly damaging the crown. If he was forced to find cover fast, the muzzle will likely find contact with the ground, obstructing the bore or damaging the crown. A condom or similar device will keep water out and can be pulled off fast enough. A little trivia for you,..Most Army snipers carry with the bolt handle up, secured by a rubber band. It is felt that the rifles safety is both unreliable and is very cumbersome to operate, while an unlocked bolt is both ultimately safe, and can be closed as the weapon is brought to shoulder much faster than a safety can be disengaged.

B. Most soldiers today you won't see carrying knives openly because the Army does not issue combat knives to most soldiers and most units prohibit carrying of them, even in a war zone. That's not to say it doesn't happen though. The more badass your MOS/mission, the more badass your gear generally.

it would be upside down

You would grasp forearm of rifle and pull forward and up. Obviously, sling has to be loose enough to allow this.

buying_ice_cream.jpg

GB

What's with all the debate over an actor in a movie? Does it occur to anybody that it isn't, you know, for real?

I want to know what that boar deserved to get stabbed in the gut after he's dead. Did he get dragged through the streets, too? ;)

B. Most soldiers today you won't see carrying knives openly because the Army does not issue combat knives to most soldiers and most units prohibit carrying of them, even in a war zone. That's not to say it doesn't happen though. The more badass your MOS/mission, the more badass your gear generally.

so then the spyderco knives that were given to soldiers were pointless? the ones they sell on bases are illegal? whats the go there?

so then the spyderco knives that were given to soldiers were pointless? the ones they sell on bases are illegal? whats the go there?

Maybe they end up on ebay like all those TSA seized knives. After all, those soldiers might cut somebody, or even themselves.
:D

What's with all the debate over an actor in a movie? Does it occur to anybody that it isn't, you know, for real?

I want to know what that boar deserved to get stabbed in the gut after he's dead. Did he get dragged through the streets, too? ;)

The pig didn't get stabbed after it was dead.

You'll notice that there is dogs in the pic.

The knife owner was pigging with dogs, which is where the dog bails the pig up, and you get in there and stab it with your sticker.

Knife placement is paramount, and that knife was placed exactly where it needed to go, tight behind the shoulder. That way the blade punctures the lung and heart, and even the second lung if its long enough. With a blade it isn't that important to hit the heart as a double lung will cause the animal to expire rather quickly.
Its the perfect spot for an arrow :D

You would grasp forearm of rifle and pull forward and up. Obviously, sling has to be loose enough to allow this.

buying_ice_cream.jpg

GB

notice that the triggers are down, opposite of how Wahlberg has it. I was never told why they made us sling rifles like Marky Mark has in his pic, I just know it's aggravating.

surok, a spyderco isn't a combat knife. I am referring to combat knives likely to be seen on a soldiers LBE. Every soldier I ever knew had leatherman and pocketknives or the like. That's the go there, as per the intent of this thread.

There is the distinction between "tactical" and "military," as discussed in another thread.

Mil issue knives are quite different from the tactical knives often private purchased and carried by the few. Aside from pics of folders by Cold Steel, Spyderco, Benchmade, Gerber, Buck, and Spyderco, among many others, fixed blades generally run through Randall, Strider, Cold Steel, Benchmade, Camillus, Ontario, Buck, Glock, and maybe even Kabar.

Googling images with those words might get you pictures with quicker results than posted here . . .

Surok...you can straighten this all out if you tell us what kind of pix you want.

Pictures of soldiers opening MREs with Gerbers?
Covert de-animation of sentries?
Somebody standing around with a Leatherman on a belt?

What?!?

99% of pictures will be #1 and #3. Number TWO will be a reenactment, training photo, or illustration 99.99% of the time. Darn few combat camera men get a photo of something that never really happens.

That last 0.01% will be a Dark Ops ad . . .

It rides better on the shoulder and is less prone to slipping off. You can grab the
barrel and swing it into position. It does look odd but that sling position has become more common. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Comment well-taken. Many of these actors are anti gunners but make a living
brandishing weapons and glorifying killing.

GB

How om earth can you swing the the weapon to shoulder and fire, you have to get the sling over your head to do so, or the sling has to be very loose wich it isn't in this case.

ok, i wanted pics of solders using their personal pocket knives.
i have a few pics taken by and of blackwater guys with all their cool gear. ill post them when i get home

It was a Cold Steel SRK with the Carbon V blade, it's laying around on the ground there somewhere near the Dewalt, although possibly not in the arena of the photo. About 220 lb before, late Nov 2007 BP .50 and 105 fff, Traditions, nuff said.

IMGP0004.jpg

First: WTF??? Is this some amateur Charlie's Angels thing or something?
buying_ice_cream.jpg

Second: It's a disgusting truth how hypocritical the mass-media is with firearms/weapons/violence. I vividly recall a one-hour special program by ABC News during the early nineties entitled: Guns! Guns! Guns!, hosted by Peter Jennings. In it they had a studio audience forum to discuss the nation's "handgun violence problem" along with a variety of popular ABC News correspondants delivering their own related anti-gun clips and interviews.

One portion of the show ironically included a piece by none other than Maria Shriver (wife of then prolific action star Arnold Swarzenegger). Her contribution examined America's appetite for violence filled movies/video games and Hollywood's growing penchant for violent gun glamorizing "action" movies;which included many clips of popular action movies and their stars- examples were: Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry, Sylvester Stallone/Rambo, Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon, and Bruce Willis/Die Hard. Hypocritically no mention was made of her husband Swarzenegger and his many violence/gun filled movies!

Back