Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Close friends of mine have a son who is in engineering college and is an entrepreneur. He designed a classy bottle opener and is having them produced.

"Can you help us with photos?" Yes I can. :)

orig.jpg

Greg Cimms lives about an hour away and doesn't mind taking the ride to visit for a photo shoot. I like having him here, because we work together on the project and format. That, and his work is So. Damn. Good.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Don Hanson III. "Say it loud and there's music playing, say it soft, and it's almost like praying..." (Lyrics from 'Maria' - West Side Story) ;)

orig.jpg

I hesitate offering too close of a detail shot. Only the better makers can stand up to magnification. DH3 is up to the task.

orig.jpg

Tim Steingass has been charging up the maker-to-watch ladder for years. He knows how to make knives, and the value of promoting his knives. He sells them all. :D

This model is what he calls his 'Relentless Fighter'. (BL/OAL: 9"/13 3/4" Material: CPM-154 Bolster: 416SS) Stand BACK!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This pair was made for a father and son. Great family!

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

Brett Schaller crafted this tidy Loveless-style drop-point hunter. His sheath work is just as eye-grabbing. :eek:
orig.jpg

Pages of information by Joe Paranee surround this visceral piece by David Mirabile. Outstanding! I archive it here for quick access and study as well.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

What a pleasure it is to be introduced to the new stars in knifemaking. Here are a pair of superb knives by young maker Jordan Lamothe (still a student at Williams College). You saw them here first!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

more....

Tyler Turner is from Missouri, and is a farmer, however that's not ALL he does well. check out how sturdy and clean this folder is.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kevin Klein and Jason Morrissey both hail from New England, and they collaborated on this dirk. Jason = steel, Kevin = build: 1+1=4 :thumbup:
orig.jpg

Greg Cimms / Kayne Custom Knives (Kayne is his middle name) REALLY knows his way around a forge and a workbench. Check out the endgrain spacer!
orig.jpg

Greg brought these directly to my studio, and we shot them together. L@@K at the skulls in this steel! (And yes, Don Hanson III was prominently mentioned as inspiration by Greg. ;) I wonder if Greg was aware of Robbin Hudson's octagonal ergonomic handles. It sure works here!)
orig.jpg

They are even watching us from the frontspine. :eek:
orig.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Coop,

I eagerly await your installments, you and your clients never disappoint.

Some of life's pleasures.

The Mirabile/Paranee project is outstanding!

Thanks!

Steve
---------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS Apprentice Smith

Last edited:
Three letters: DH3, OMG, FTW.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

We need the blues.

Tim Withers
stuns us with his irreverent and bold usage of blue G10. Whatta knife!

orig.jpg

Steven Ramos uses some form of iridescent stone to give us his blues. I'll take them!

orig.jpg

He makes a MEAN sheath!

orig.jpg

More blueness. Ron Best fanboi alert: Ron is one of the hardest working, most stimulating makers out there. That he's a foremost family man and provider for his challenging kids, give me pleasure showing them.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

More...

Tim Steingass is winning the war on appeal. His clients are eating them up!

L@@k at these: Forged and flat, stock and hollow, stag and wood. Both winners!

orig.jpg

Side draw sheaths:

orig.jpg

A PAIR of 'Battle Bowies'. To make a bigger statement, you'd need a bullhorn!

orig.jpg

We've all admired Jody Muller's engraving and folders. Now look at his deep-relief carving. :eek:

orig.jpg

Did I mention I like Ron Best's work? ;) (This one has a slightly different blade shape from the two previous.)

orig.jpg

Jose J. Sosa Perdomo: This came directly from Spain to me, then to a collector overseas. An elegant historical and traditional knife in that area.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

More...

Terry Lee Renner is imaginative and skilled. Witness this formidable pair of fighters:

orig.jpg

They fit in this large opposed sheaths with a backstrap...

orig.jpg

...so you may take on any manner of malefactors with aplomb. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

'Don't Mess With Texas!' That's where Spencer Aplin comes from, and this knife blew UP my Instagram comments when it was shown. A proper awakening!

orig.jpg

We stand in awe of new 2016 Mastersmith: Andrew Meers.

His thematic work continues to amaze and behold. Here he has created a folder with a tribute to the amazing paradise 'rifle bird'. (Click to see this video and admire the beauty.)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I'll have more soon. Thanks for being patient!

Jim

Let's look at some current forged goodness. AGAIN!

Mike Quesenberry, MS
orig.jpg

Matt Gregory
orig.jpg

Haley DesRosiers, MS
orig.jpg

Steve Randall, MS
orig.jpg

Tim Steingass
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Following are (10) INCREDIBLE pieces from the guys at 'Dragons Breath Forge' up here in CT. (ALL of the makers have been on 'Forged in Fire').

Peter Swarz-Burt
orig.jpg

WOOTZ!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jamie Lundell
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Michael Coffey
orig.jpg

Matt Parkinson, JS
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

E. Russ Andrews II, MS
orig.jpg

Paul Long leatherwork
orig.jpg

John Doyle
orig.jpg

Paul Long leatherwork
orig.jpg

Kevin Klein
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Alan Davis
orig.jpg

Jody Muller
orig.jpg

Josef Rusnak
orig.jpg

Julie Warenski
orig.jpg

D' Alton Holder
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

They are ALL deserving of paragraphs of accolades and descriptions....

I'd just as soon you spend that time looking closely.

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

It's been a VERY BUSY past month. We set up and shot at the New York Custom Knife Show (NYCKS) mid November. Before and after I have also been working to fulfill studio work.

Click this: 2016 NYCKS - Outstanding People & Outstanding Knives!

Here's a short sample of the 30+ images in my Show coverage thread:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I've got a BUNCH MORE to show you, and we'll get to them.

Stay posted.....

Jim

I get work from many sources. I LOVE the variety and the opportunity.

A coveted and legendary older 'Zipper' folder from Michael Walker. Sigh....
orig.jpg

A modern collab flipper which is as fun to open as it is to look at!
orig.jpg

Has John W. Smith EVER made a knife which didn't scream (quietly) "Quality!"...???
orig.jpg

...or for that matter, the renowned Steve Johnson.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Canadian Brian Tighe (and friends) has created a mid-tech lineup. I was asked to do some tempting website displays. Sweet: Made in USA!
standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

LOOK at how cool this knife is from Anders Hogstrom!

orig.jpg

Model: Druid Sickle II/ Hand Scythe
Material: damasteel
Handle: North sea mammoth w copper lines and copper screw-hole-trim
Sheath: Masur birch and ebony display stand by maker
Comments: All done by hand/ hand operated tools. No mills, surface grinders or the like was used.

orig.jpg

Jay Hendrickson's knives are SO warm and appealing you forget how lethal they might be! :) :eek:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The guys up here in Connecticut are KILLIN' IT with the work out of Dragon's Breath Forge. Here's one of the artisans: Jamie Lundell, with a long sword.

orig.jpg

D' Alton Holder and Stan Hawkins collaborated to show Frank Frazetta's (click to see original) renowned fantasy artwork (Mad polar bears pulling a dogsled. BALLSY!!)

orig.jpg

Shaun and Sharla Hansen just get fancier and fancier and better and better. Proof POSITIVE!

orig.jpg

Flying WAY under the radar is skilled maker Michael Craddock. Look closely at what I see!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(Didja notice? I found a couple of new backgrounds this week!)

Thanks for viewing. :thumbup:

Coop

Last edited:
Back