Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Tim Steingass continues his upward mobility with this 'Patriot Chute'. Note the red, white, and blues...

orig.jpg

Matt Parkinson drives about 40 minutes to my studio, and we always work together on his complicated displays.

orig.jpg

As does Greg Cimms, who is KILLING IT with his oh-so-popular chef's knives. He's in high demand and sells like crazy. Goes by the name @KayneCustomKnives on Instagram (It's his middle name).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This is from elder maker Chicchi Yoneyama. I am privileged to show you this knife with the LONNNNGEST specific journey to be photographed by me. He shipped it to Connecticut USA from Japan and then back to him.
The pearl carving he calls 'Seigaiha' and it represent the outward growing ripples on a pond. :)

orig.jpg

Andrew Meers caught most of us by surprise a couple of years ago with this incredible Mastersmith set. Now he's warming hearts and minds with his current work. An integral chef's knife... but THIS THIN ???!!! :eek::eek: Every inch. Wow.
That's a 'snow monkey' carved into the bolster with his whimsical characters he's now renowned for.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tim Withers from CA gives us ALL pause with this camp knife chopper. The blade has a high polish to stay slippery, and yet the handle has been sandblasted to grip. This maker KNOWS ergonomics and understands the term 'clean'.

orig.jpg

Just a 'regular' no-frills sheath. Once again, I'm impressed. I hope you are too.

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

I'm happy to show off Tim Steingass' walrus 'vest pocket fighter'. He's collaborated with Randy Haas for that MAGNIFICENT steel, and boy does it look great!:thumbsup:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Grand Manan Island, Canada is *JUST* off the coast of the easternmost tip of the USA (Quoddy head State Park). This is where Sean O'Hare lives and gets his inspirations.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tim Britton produced this combination of old styles and new materials in his versatile lockback. Expect to see this image in a magazine ad.

orig.jpg

Tyler Turner from MO tells me he drew on a the advice of some Green Beret servicemen to help guide him designing this knife's functions. It looks like the kind of no-nonsense tool that I'D want them to be using! MAJOR props!

orig.jpg

And to show you how versatile he is, he also created this notable flipper folder. One side is Zirconium, and the other side is titanium. Combined = SUBSTANTIAL!

orig.jpg

Chuck Gedraitis has refined his 'kwaiken' flipper folder for years. This one has the ever-present hamon, and utilizes circuit boards as scales to bring it past the 21st century! :cool:

orig.jpg

This is BRILLIANT! Chad Nell was given the one of the original Bob Loveless 'New York Special' patterns from Steve Johnson. He copied it and created his version called a 'New York Flipper'! He's surrounded by giants and came out with a masterpiece folder.

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

It's been an especially busy week for me. I had the opportunity to photograph WORLD CLASS knives.

WORLD CLASS = Highly Collectible & Valuable. Big money.

orig.jpg

Ray Appleton with a scale lock folder. Probably mid eighties? I gave it to a knife buddy and he could NOT figure out how to open after three mins. A mystery mechanism!

orig.jpg

Alex Gev: The detail is beyond skilled. I can't imagine. Also he made the knife.

orig.jpg

So did Shaun and Sharla Hansen. His (her?) bulino is in a new league for them. Wonderful!

orig.jpg

Tom Overeynder with a split back whittler, and ORIGINAL (from the old factory) Remington bone scales. Now a member of the AKI. See why ^^^.

orig.jpg

These next two from Jurgen Steinau ought to be under a locked glass case. The precision is not exceeded by anyone, and his ability to use thin inlays was pioneering. He was the first in this genre that I saw.

orig.jpg

And then we end with this: Add in gold and bits of who-knows-what in blue and it takes your breath away. It's called a 'credit card' folder because you can switch the soft to hard opening auto with a thin press on a lever in th well, but I suggest it's because it's the ONLY way most of us could afford this one!

No one comments in this thread, however it's grown 60,000 views in two months. Quietly paying attention.... :D

Thank you. :)

I am paying attention, and do not have the words to describe the OMG! Factor that these knives and photography deserve. Thank you for this thread.

You may have seen these two standouts heading to the CKCA show at Maggiano's in Atlanta. What a privilege to capture!

Aaron Wilburn, MS
orig.jpg

Bruce Bingenheimer
orig.jpg

(Note: I shot another VERY elegant folder from a highly regarded maker which will be revealed just before the show. Look for the CKCA shoutout soon!)

I got a call from Joe Edson. "Would you shoot a pair of razors..?" YOU BET I WOULD!
orig.jpg

Check out his 'dragon's tail' filework!

orig.jpg

I have more to show, and I will. I'm away for the weekend, and will post about our Blade Show presence (tenth year!) and other thoughts regarding this next week.

Thanks for viewing!

The 2017 Blade Show in Atlanta was the BIGGEST and BEST Show they've ever had. And so it was for us as well.

Our NEW location for the future will be Boardroom #4 (closer to the Show hall).

A shout out to the SBC Team who worked diligently for the entire weekend: Myself, Susan and Trevor Cooper, Maggie Randall, and Buddy Thomason. Thank you.

Click to see ALL the images along with a short description:
2017 Blade Show • Passion + Talent = Growth!

orig.jpg

Thank you to all who SUPPORTED us, as we pay for this privilege. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That blued Steingass chute with the bark mammoth fills me with want. Outside my established playing field, but damn...

OK, since Blade, I've taken a MUCH needed break, but I'm back and refreshed. :thumbsup:

Bruce Bingenheimer
is a regular occurrence here on BF. Let's look at how wonderful this folder is to see why. (Shoutout to Mike W. for the project!)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Speaking of 'feather' damascus, the name Kevin Casey rises right to the top. So does David Riccardo as engraver.

orig.jpg

This was a FIRST! Robin Dalman sent me this CAPTIVATING Gyuto chef's knife *all the way from Sweden!* ✈️ The materials include musk ox and curly birch, and the san-mai steel is a mix of relic steel salvaged from the Stockholm Grand Hotel. I love to hear of historical influences!

orig.jpg

You may have seen this INCREDIBLE folder posted by Bob Betzner and created by Canadian artist Jose deBraga. It has bits and carving which can take you on a visual journey for hours studying it. Even the little fob is a satellite or a getaway craft.... :)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ron Myers is a VERY talented guy. Check out how skilled and realistic this 'karambit-styled-knife' is. He tells me he has worked with Ray Beers (renowned in this carving arena). Pretty darn COOL!

orig.jpg

You KNOW I love this one. ;) John Parks is from Georgia, and this integral historical utility has a mixture of styles. One of MY favorite makers comes to the forefront... ;)

orig.jpg

Tom Ward went to a sword class up in Maine (I forget the tutor?) he and a bunch of others worked on their personal versions of this classic English sword. Here's Tom's completion!

orig.jpg

Chuck Gedraitis has been experimenting with modern composites: Namely CIRCUIT BOARDS and made this great flipper kwaiken out of them. Old style knife + new materials = HOT!

orig.jpg

When they left Atlanta, both Matt Gregory (USA) and Keith Fludder (Australia) went to upstate New York to spend a week playing in Matt's shop. LOOK at the end result collaboration!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

One of MY very favorite makers is KILLIN' it with his work. :thumbsup: :cool:

Greg Cimms
passed easily at the Blade Show with his five JS test knives (recall the fluted dagger!) His specialty though, is producing these signature Chef's knives with captivating steel and patterns and thoughtful handles.

I've been waving the culinary flag for quite some time. Watching Greg's bold successes is a telling reason why.

orig.jpg

He sends them to his clients with a quality satin pouch.

orig.jpg

THIS one sports a fluted stainless damascus pattern with his san-mai, and a D-shaped asymmetrical handle. It felt very secure and registered perfectly. Note the mammoth tooth(?) spacer. So cool!

orig.jpg

Let's close this set of knives with a set of three EYEPOPPING Bob Loveless pearl handled knives which include the inescapably captivating gold inlay work by Shaun and Sharla Hansen.

orig.jpg

Color me impressed! :thumbsup:

orig.jpg

Wow, just finished going through all 63 pages of fantastic. I have been away from custom knives for about a decade and just recently had the fire lit again (thank Bill Luckett for that). Thanks for your amazing photography. I thoroughly enjoyed the many examples of great knives you have captured. In fact, after I saw one of the pictures of a bowie by Tim Steingass, I put an order in for one. Excited to see what comes next.

^^^ Well...! Here's a note of appreciation in return. :)

It's also a STATEMENT of the effectiveness of the thread for many reasons: Inspiration, appreciation, selection, and potential acquisition. You just proved that it works. :thumbsup:

Good going on Tim's work. He will treat you right. :cool: I have a bunch more to post later. Sweet.

I am leaving on vacation for almost two weeks, returning on Aug 15th. I will check emails, but my studio work is on pause.

I have a bunch of work which needs more than a name, but I'm scrambling to get finished. I'll let the PHOTOS speak louder than my corny descriptions. ;)

Warren Osborne / CJ Cai
orig.jpg

James Rodebaugh, MS
orig.jpg

John Cohea
orig.jpg

Matt deClercq
orig.jpg

Rusty Waide
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mark Bartlett (OMG!)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Bob Loveless 50th Anniversary engraved likeness by CJ Cai!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Michael Zieba design for a noted retailer of high-end gear.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jakob and Simon Nylund
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Dan Thornburg
orig.jpg

Greg Cimms, JS is KILLIN' it with his new Sakudo lineup. (New website in the next few weeks.)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Dennis Friedly and Gil Rudolph combine forces on a King Neptune theme.
orig.jpg

Wow Coop, thanks for keeping us entertained while you take a deserved vacation, enjoy!

All fantastic pieces of work, and all wonderful images!

Steve
-------------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS AP

I agree with the OMG on the that piece by Mark Bartlett. That is an amazing knife. Also the pattern on the blade of Dennis Friedly's Dagger. I thought I was being hypnotized. Excellent work.

Brian Tighe has become one of my favorite and supportive clients. (I do the same in return. :cool:) He has found a formula and a style which allows both diversity and consistency. Admire for yourself! (These 'Tighe Breakers' all went to the G9 Labor Day show 2017, where they all sold.)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Back