1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

PHOTOS: SharpByCoop • Gallery of Handmade Knives

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Tim Steingass continues his upward mobility with this 'Patriot Chute'. Note the red, white, and blues...

[​IMG]

Matt Parkinson drives about 40 minutes to my studio, and we always work together on his complicated displays.

[​IMG]

As does Greg Cimms, who is KILLING IT with his oh-so-popular chef's knives. He's in high demand and sells like crazy. Goes by the name @KayneCustomKnives on Instagram (It's his middle name).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is from elder maker Chicchi Yoneyama. I am privileged to show you this knife with the LONNNNGEST specific journey to be photographed by me. He shipped it to Connecticut USA from Japan and then back to him.
    The pearl carving he calls 'Seigaiha' and it represent the outward growing ripples on a pond. :)

[​IMG]

Andrew Meers caught most of us by surprise a couple of years ago with this incredible Mastersmith set. Now he's warming hearts and minds with his current work. An integral chef's knife... but THIS THIN ???!!! :eek::eek: Every inch. Wow.
    That's a 'snow monkey' carved into the bolster with his whimsical characters he's now renowned for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim Withers from CA gives us ALL pause with this camp knife chopper. The blade has a high polish to stay slippery, and yet the handle has been sandblasted to grip. This maker KNOWS ergonomics and understands the term 'clean'.

[​IMG]

Just a 'regular' no-frills sheath. Once again, I'm impressed. I hope you are too.

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

2. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm happy to show off Tim Steingass' walrus 'vest pocket fighter'. He's collaborated with Randy Haas for that MAGNIFICENT steel, and boy does it look great!:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grand Manan Island, Canada is *JUST* off the coast of the easternmost tip of the USA (Quoddy head State Park). This is where Sean O'Hare lives and gets his inspirations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Tim Britton produced this combination of old styles and new materials in his versatile lockback. Expect to see this image in a magazine ad.

[​IMG]

Tyler Turner from MO tells me he drew on a the advice of some Green Beret servicemen to help guide him designing this knife's functions. It looks like the kind of no-nonsense tool that I'D want them to be using! MAJOR props!

[​IMG]

And to show you how versatile he is, he also created this notable flipper folder. One side is Zirconium, and the other side is titanium. Combined = SUBSTANTIAL!

[​IMG]

Chuck Gedraitis has refined his 'kwaiken' flipper folder for years. This one has the ever-present hamon, and utilizes circuit boards as scales to bring it past the 21st century! :cool:

[​IMG]

This is BRILLIANT! Chad Nell was given the one of the original Bob Loveless 'New York Special' patterns from Steve Johnson. He copied it and created his version called a 'New York Flipper'! He's surrounded by giants and came out with a masterpiece folder.

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

4. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    It's been an especially busy week for me. I had the opportunity to photograph WORLD CLASS knives.

WORLD CLASS = Highly Collectible & Valuable. Big money.

[​IMG]

Ray Appleton with a scale lock folder. Probably mid eighties? I gave it to a knife buddy and he could NOT figure out how to open after three mins. A mystery mechanism!

[​IMG]

Alex Gev: The detail is beyond skilled. I can't imagine. Also he made the knife.

[​IMG]

So did Shaun and Sharla Hansen. His (her?) bulino is in a new league for them. Wonderful!

[​IMG]

Tom Overeynder with a split back whittler, and ORIGINAL (from the old factory) Remington bone scales. Now a member of the AKI. See why ^^^.

[​IMG]

These next two from Jurgen Steinau ought to be under a locked glass case. The precision is not exceeded by anyone, and his ability to use thin inlays was pioneering. He was the first in this genre that I saw.

[​IMG]

And then we end with this: Add in gold and bits of who-knows-what in blue and it takes your breath away. It's called a 'credit card' folder because you can switch the soft to hard opening auto with a thin press on a lever in th well, but I suggest it's because it's the ONLY way most of us could afford this one!

No one comments in this thread, however it's grown 60,000 views in two months. Quietly paying attention.... :D

Thank you. :)

SpySmasher and someoldfart like this.
  5. FOG2

FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    I am paying attention, and do not have the words to describe the OMG! Factor that these knives and photography deserve. Thank you for this thread.

6. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    You may have seen these two standouts heading to the CKCA show at Maggiano's in Atlanta. What a privilege to capture!

Aaron Wilburn, MS
    [​IMG]

Bruce Bingenheimer
    [​IMG]

(Note: I shot another VERY elegant folder from a highly regarded maker which will be revealed just before the show. Look for the CKCA shoutout soon!)

I got a call from Joe Edson. "Would you shoot a pair of razors..?" YOU BET I WOULD!
    [​IMG]

Check out his 'dragon's tail' filework!

[​IMG]

I have more to show, and I will. I'm away for the weekend, and will post about our Blade Show presence (tenth year!) and other thoughts regarding this next week.

Thanks for viewing!

betzner likes this.
  7. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I am pleased to again be serving our clients and the knife-loving public at the annual 2017 Blade Show in Atlanta, June 2-4!

SharpByCoop Photography is prepared to serve you with more efficiency than ever before!

We will arrive Thursday morning to set-up in the usual location, Boardroom #1, and we will operate through show closing on Sunday afternoon.

Our team will include myself and four assistants; Susan and Maggie at the front desk, Trevor who will pick-up/deliver knives and fellow knife-nut photographer Buddy Thomason, who will assist me in the studio and in consulting with clients about layouts etc.

With their help I can fully concentrate on digitally capturing what will certainly be a bumper crop of world-class cutlery creations.

NOTE: I will be mostly unavailable as I'm working. However....
    I am adding a short period on Sunday morning @ 9:30am-10:15am for a 'Meet and Greet’ to give you a tour of the studio and to explain the process of shooting an image in the SharpByCoop style. I’ll also speak briefly about how best to get your knife images seen by the LARGEST possible audience.

Look for our beautiful new stand-up banners!

[​IMG]