Picture of stripped HG55 thin CBT

Hi,

With the paying model of photobucket, alot of old photo are not visible anymore here.
Could not find any on HG55 stripped.

Can anyone share a HG55 stripped?
In process of acquiring a HG55 with thin CBT all the to way to the tip.
Want to know how it looks like stripped.

Thanks

Last edited:
Here ya go...

My avatar, stripped by Ickythump :thumbsup: :
9AEfX2D.jpg

The one with torx is a stripper, so is the tigerhide, the green/black is Competition Finish, & a painted :
323x5Hb.jpg

DFBVY1C.jpg

kSpaler.jpg

xK5drY3.jpg

D1fcvTY.jpg

iqLRyQY.jpg

XFziGFr.jpg

NDBVoOo.jpg

IOQI6zE.jpg

fiKnh91.jpg

other random CBT cheesecake for your viewing pleasure, ENJOY!
vibX4Lw.jpg

9IR1DV3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

"The one with torx is a stripper,"
Is that a thin or large CBT?

I think the HG55 I got origined from you.

The first 55, the one w/ the large CBT and Tiger scales..and that beautiful edge, was stripped and polished by hand, by me...not Comp finish...I'd recognize those grind lines in your avatar a mile away...many hours spent on that beauty.

It wore black coating when I received it..The horizontal groove/fuller ubove the CBT are noticeably different widths..wider on the logo side...thinner on the opposite.

Here ya go...

My avatar, not stripped but Competition Finish :cool: :
9AEfX2D.jpg

The one with torx is a stripper, other 55's are Competition Finish or a painted :
323x5Hb.jpg

DFBVY1C.jpg

kSpaler.jpg

xK5drY3.jpg

D1fcvTY.jpg

iqLRyQY.jpg

XFziGFr.jpg

NDBVoOo.jpg

IOQI6zE.jpg

fiKnh91.jpg

other random CBT cheesecake for your viewing pleasure, ENJOY!
vibX4Lw.jpg

9IR1DV3.jpg

The first 55, the one w/ the large CBT and Tiger scales..and that beautiful edge, was stripped and polished by hand, by me...not Comp finish...I'd recognize those grind lines in your avatar a mile away...many hours spent on that beauty.

It wore black coating when I received it..The horizontal groove/fuller ubove the CBT are noticeably different widths..wider on the logo side...thinner on the opposite.

You're right Icky...and you've told me that before...I've just b/s/t several 55's I've lost track :oops:...the green/black is comp. finish, for sure.

Those 3 are the last of the Mohicans for my 55 obsession, however....and it's obvious I think the one you put in the time on is my favorite! She's beautiful...:)

If what I gathered was correct, these were all big CBT, any small CBT HG55 stripped?

If what I gathered was correct, these were all big CBT, any small CBT HG55 stripped?

These were all large CBT, yes.

The small CBT shouldn't be any more difficult to strip and they should look tremendous!

I like stripping / sanding / sharpening knives when I have time and this HG55 project was one of my most enjoyable yet-- have fun with it and take time to step away when you're getting tired-- it's very rewarding!

BTW, if you grabbed that orange/black 55, then yes, I was one of the owners. It'd been owned by at least two other HOGS before I possessed it. I don't believe it saw any use-- it didn't for me, at least.

Here's the extent of the material/tools I used on my 55. I also used some Citristrip and Mother's chrome polish and 3m wet/dry sandpaper <not in pic>.

JM6UyPA.jpg

View attachment 738558
I etched this one pretty deep, it came out awesome, then it was bead blasted. It's been sold to another member. This is after I rubbed it with a piece of brass and brushed it. Kinda sweet lookin if ya ask me.

LIKED :thumbsup: Nice "bronzing" effect...very attractive!!!

...it would have been even better <IMHO> if you would've put a nice low grind on it to really make those CBT's pop-- that is if you'd still had her. Plus, the 55 is quite stout for it's size...it really benefits the performance by dropping the secondary a degree or ten.

see what I mean?
Wl1OPow.jpg

...it would have been even better <IMHO> if you would've put a nice low grind on it to really make those CBT's pop-- that is if you'd still had her. Plus, the 55 is quite stout for it's size...it really benefits the performance by dropping the secondary a degree or ten.

see what I mean?
Wl1OPow.jpg

That is some slick grinding, looks amazing.

Petey, what tool do you use for those secondary grind?

Nothing fancy, Harbor Freight 1 x 30 belt sander, 600 grit belt, I used the platen. When I convex, I use the slack section of the belt, of course.

Here is the way I configure it. Edge trailing. This is my leather strop, I didn't use it on the 55, but it was just what I had mounted when I snapped the pic:

mlYFttR.jpg

see what I mean?
Wl1OPow.jpg

Thank you sir, but I'm a rank amateur...

But as far as grinder jockeys who haven't turned pro yet....I can't hold a light to @tinfoil hat timmy...:cool:

He really excels at knocking down shoulders and grinding some sick convexes...sharpest daggone knife I ever bought off a brother here on Busse subforum was a SARsquatch of his...this damn knife will cut your eye just looking at it. :eek:

The term "scary sharp" gets knocked around a lot, but that sumbitch of a SARsquatch is unforgiving. If you don't watch yo' self...he'll take a finger and when you spaz cuz you lost a phalange, an you drop him-- he'll take yer big toe off for shit and giggles...it's a mean bastard. :mad:

Dan applied a zero convex to it that surpassed the factory edge on my B8 LE...that's saying A LOT!!! :D

The best advice and tips for the little 1x30 sander was shared to me by him also...class act, that Dan is. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back