Pinky Sting now resolved

How about if you were to mold a piece of kydex into the radius and attached though the last hollow pin.

Pinky bite on the straight handle now solved. Thread paracord through the top talon hole as though you were going to make a D guard, instead come down the side of the handle, depending if you are left or right handed, wrap round the handle and through the last hollow fixing. This now captures the hand and prevents it from slamming down onto the rear beak when chopping. Its the "Pinky Guard" !

Looks like you came up with a winning solution. It is amazing how everyone's hands are just slightly different. With all the guys at the shop I am always amazed at how people rate all the different handles. What may be my favorite handle may be well down the list for others. Even people with the same size hands, a handle can feel totally different.

Garth

Pinky bite on the straight handle now solved. Thread paracord through the top talon hole as though you were going to make a D guard, instead come down the side of the handle, depending if you are left or right handed, wrap round the handle and through the last hollow fixing. This now captures the hand and prevents it from slamming down onto the rear beak when chopping. Its the "Pinky Guard" !

It looks like your hand is turning purple in the picture, not sure if the para cord is stopping the blood flow.

The Res-C handle is way more comfortable for chopping and the Basic 11 is one well rounded knife for chopping and use. Lots of love for the Res-C.

Basic 11 on the Top and Trash 2. Two of my favorites.
IMG_3315_zpsrfdbidrh.jpg

I have not chopped very much with any SH model, but a thought occurs.... think about the snap technique one might use with a machete or a khukri ... you basically grip the forward part of the handle with your thumb and forefinger .. as you bring your arm down to chop you snap the blade down with the wrist. The back fingers have only a loose grip, ergo: no pinky bite.
This exactly.

Have you done a lot of chopping with the "Pinky Guard" installed? How did it feel? I ask because it looks like it might be uncomfortable in actual use.

Yes I have field tested the guard and it works perfectly, the paracord is effective at preventing the pinky from impacting the rear beak, its also adds extra retention, locks the hand right in. There is enough give in the cord and it's is soften enough to not bother the little finger.

Back