Pistol for first time owner?

My state allows either but I plan to conceal

Do you plan to carry IWB or OWB?

IWB - Inside Waist Band
OWB - Outside Waist Band

Both have their pros and cons, and each will require a different style of holster.

OWB is arguably more comfortable, and is quicker/easier to draw from, as it's not tucked inside your belt and pants, but it requires either wearing your shirt untucked, or having another cover garment (like a sweatshirt, jacket, or other).

IWB is easier to conceal, and will print less (generally speaking), and with all the 'tukable' options in holsters these days, you can actually tuck your shirt in around the holster, and see nothing but the belt clips. But, it may not be quite as comfortable, since the gun/holster is against your body, and inside the belt line. It also require a bit more though to draw from, since there is another layer of clothing to work around.

Neither is right or wrong, or better. It's all just personal preference, and what works best for you.

And I'm not sure, owb or iwb. I'm thinking out, but how high do they ride? Iwb would be nice but it sound uncomfortable

None, firearms anyways. I've handled bb/ pellet guns that are replicas to weight and size. But never carried it on my person, just for fun.

And I'm not sure, owb or iwb. I'm thinking out, but how high do they ride? Iwb would be nice but it sound uncomfortable

I wear IWB 90% of the time. With the right holster, it's not uncomfortable at all, but may take some getting used too - but carrying in general will at first. How high it rides depends on the holster - some ride high, some lower, and some are adjustable.

I prefer a hybrid-type holster. Leather (sometimes lined with a felt) against the body, and Kydex formed to the gun riding against the waistband. If you look in the Gun picture thread, you see one of my posts showing my FNS in one.

One of the most popular hybrids is Crossbreed, which wraps around your waist a little, using two belt clips, and spreads the weight across a wider section of your belt. But there are many people making very a similar holster. Expect to pay about $100 for Crossbreed, and have about an 8 week lead time. I've bought nicer (or at least comparable) one's for half that, with a much shorter lead time. Look up Alien Gear for a well made alternative, or FirearmHolser (just add a .com) for a guy who does nice custom work (Gavin is a great guy to work with BTW)

You can also look into a single-clip style, which may be a bit easier to take on and off, but adds a little more bulge. The one in my pic is a LittleFoxx by Foxx holsters. I've got two of them, for different guns, and were one almost every day.

I'd post links, but want to make sure it's OK with the Mods first....

SuzukiGS750EZ..Lots of good thoughts here..You know about the ten shot restrictions here in CT..So I'd get something [like I have] I have my wife carry..3" barrel 5 shot S&W 38 special..Hers has the round butt black rubber target grip, enhanced sights, upgrade trigger & hammer..looks just fine, & is a shooter..I think they called it the Chiefs kit gun model..Please forget that cross draw method for concealed carry..Get the right size pants, good belt & holster..IWB..To protect your skin & the gun you always have to wear a tee-shirt..you will be wearing a vest or light jacket or other shirt to cover..The idea being,turn strong side away, sweep & draw from concealed..You have a lot of decisions to make..Two most important things..You must have this thing secure on your person safety first..It must be deploy-able in an instant when needed..Good luck be safe...uncle Mike in Ct...40 years of EDC...

Alien Gear builds a decent rig, especially for the price point. I don't have one personally, but have a few friends who use them. Nice thing about them is that they are modular to some degree - buy a new pistol, just replace the Kydex (as long as it's a similar size pistol). The leather isn't as nice, or finished as well, as some of the higher priced rigs, but at ~$35 for the original model, it's tough to beat. I have no problem recommending them to someone, especially for a first IWB holster.

You'll find, once you start actually carrying, you will most likely end up with a drawer full of holsters over time. You'll order one, wear it for a while, then find out it doesn't work for you. You'll have one for a specific style of dress. Or one for certain activities. I've probably gone through ten different holsters for just 1911's over the years, only three of which I still use!

If you are ever interested in a non polymer, check out a Cz75b their hard not to fall in love with if it fits your hand well.

A shop called Cajun Gun Works sells an awesome trigger kit for it.

I love my wife's 238 so much I'm considering a 938 for myself for pocket carry - but I am also considering the 43.

I personally recommend new owners stay away from the super-sub-compacts for their first gun. Mainly because most of them can be fairly 'snappy' to shoot, making it uncomfortable to properly train on a regular basis. Additionally, the slightly larger compacts (XDs, Glock G19 G26, etc.) are more controllable in hand, as you get more purchase area in the grip, again making it easier to shoot for a wider range of hand sizes. And they still conceal fairly easy compared to full size offerings.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. But I've seen a lot of new shooters go out and buy some of these really small guns, and never want to practice with them because they are too uncomfortable (sometimes painful) to shoot. Though I will say, both the Sig 238/938 and Glock 43 are relatively easy shooters, especially for their size.

Yes, for their size, I agree completely. I usually carry the 43 or the 238. Both are nice shooters. Have not had a chance to play with a 938 yet.

Another one that I really could shoot well was the Glock 26 but it was just too big for me to pocket carry and if I am going to carry on my hip, I'd rather just have my 19.

If all works out and I like the gun, I've got my eye on a desert tan s&w m&p m2.0 in 9mm.

That would be a great choice!

Check out a Crossbreed Supertuck in Horsehide. They look weird but they are super comfortable.:)

I Will! I have everything together for tomorrow, just fingerprints and background check and then the waiting game begins...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry I have come late to this party.. I had the same question about 8 months ago.... After researching, watching video reviews the good and bad, then hitting multiple gun shops I settled on what I think is the best first pistol.. I chose the Springfield armory xd mod2 subcompact in 9 mm. Here is the why..
1. Saftey.. it has a backstrap saftey much like a 1911 in addition to a saftey trigger.. the gun will not fire unless both safteis are engaged..
2. Grip \ feeling in hand..Man it is comfortable, it just fits my medium to large hands perfectly. The grip zone is awesome..
3. It has great sights out of the box.. that front fiber optic just pops... Although I wanted nights sights and got tfo' s right away..
4. Accurate... It shoots accurate... More to do with the shooter I know..
5. It comes with one 13 round mag and one 16 mag all in a nice pelican style case.. Also between now and June 30 Springfield will send you 4 mags, mag carrier and I think a owb holster to get you started when you register your gun..
6. Concealability... I have my ccw and being a sub compact this fit the bill..

I looked at many of the guns above and for one reason or another just didn't do it for me.. hope this helps... Happy hunting.. peace out ook;)

Sorry I have come late to this party.. I had the same question about 8 months ago.... After researching, watching video reviews the good and bad, then hitting multiple gun shops I settled on what I think is the best first pistol.. I chose the Springfield armory xd mod2 subcompact in 9 mm. Here is the why..
1. Saftey.. it has a backstrap saftey much like a 1911 in addition to a saftey trigger.. the gun will not fire unless both safteis are engaged..
2. Grip \ feeling in hand..Man it is comfortable, it just fits my medium to large hands perfectly. The grip zone is awesome..
3. It has great sights out of the box.. that front fiber optic just pops... Although I wanted nights sights and got tfo' s right away..
4. Accurate... It shoots accurate... More to do with the shooter I know..
5. It comes with one 13 round mag and one 16 mag all in a nice pelican style case.. Also between now and June 30 Springfield will send you 4 mags, mag carrier and I think a owb holster to get you started when you register your gun..
6. Concealability... I have my ccw and being a sub compact this fit the bill..

I looked at many of the guns above and for one reason or another just didn't do it for me.. hope this helps... Happy hunting.. peace out ook;)

I considered getting an XD pistol myself. But then I looked up the prices on magazines, and the Glock won out as a result.

SuzukiGS750EZ..Lots of good thoughts here..You know about the ten shot restrictions here in CT..So I'd get something [like I have] I have my wife carry..3" barrel 5 shot S&W 38 special..Hers has the round butt black rubber target grip, enhanced sights, upgrade trigger & hammer..looks just fine, & is a shooter..I think they called it the Chiefs kit gun model..Please forget that cross draw method for concealed carry..Get the right size pants, good belt & holster..IWB..To protect your skin & the gun you always have to wear a tee-shirt..you will be wearing a vest or light jacket or other shirt to cover..The idea being,turn strong side away, sweep & draw from concealed..You have a lot of decisions to make..Two most important things..You must have this thing secure on your person safety first..It must be deploy-able in an instant when needed..Good luck be safe...uncle Mike in Ct...40 years of EDC...
Did you have an interview at the town police station

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back