Pistol Holsters ?

I'm not sure if the covered trigger guard is really that new. I buy & sell, collect and have had many browning Hi-Power holsters that were all covered triggered guards. I do think it should be on a duty rig for Glocks in particular but have seen it on many older holsters for Auto's & revolvers back to the late 1900 rigs and older.

I was taught to never have my finger in the guard until I am doing final sighting in firing position.

I'm not sure if the covered trigger guard is really that new. I buy & sell, collect and have had many browning Hi-Power holsters that were all covered triggered guards. I do think it should be on a duty rig for Glocks in particular but have seen it on many older holsters for Auto's & revolvers back to the late 1900 rigs and older.

I was taught to never have my finger in the guard until I am doing final sighting in firing position.

Laurence, my post wasn't meant to say that a covered trigger guard was new, as it is not. Look at most cavalry holsters, field holsters, etc from the late 1800s into turn of the century most all of them have a flap that completely covers the gun. Most military holsters featured coverage as well.

My point was not that covered isn't normal, but that an open trigger guard didn't really become 'abnormal' until the past 20 years. Most of my carry gear are boring ol' pancake holsters that cover everything including those sharp rear sights.

I collect leather from a local maker that invented the pancake (Roy Baker). My grandfather knew him and I actually own a gun bought off of him. Pretty neat connection for me.

Gunleather in use:

Group of us got together on Father's Day and went out to our little range at our ranch. Had numerous rounds of ammo that just needed to be gone through. Four new guns to shoot for the first time too. A brass framed Henry in .22 mag, a 5" Kimber in .45, Glock 9mm and a AR15. Had lots of the old standbys on hand too. Afterwards came back to the house and Nichole grilled ribeyes, crab legs and corn on the cob while us fathers sat on the patio and smoked a cigar, sipped a single malt (Macallan), told stories and made the ice cream. Good day.

foXh6Tv.jpg

Everytime I see this scabbard I think of what a nice piece of leather it came from. Wickett and Craig 8 to10 oz saddle skirting. I made three scabbards out of this one side and numerous smaller items. This was probably the singularly nicest piece of leather I've ever worked with, from any tannery, period. Winchester Mod 94 30-30 inside.

qSi1MNC.jpg

Big Ty and his wife Cara. He's got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 in the Rangeflap holster and looks like she's working with my .380 Bersa.

t4SvtBY.jpg

Tyler working a cap and ball.

uWb7vZf.jpg

Butt forward IWB slip holster.

oAM6eZp.jpg

Trying out one of our new beltless sheath. Ken thinks this system might make a decent holster too and I'm still contemplating this thought.

ihRrqYM.jpg

Nichole putting a couple mags through the Kimber.

DMuPg17.jpg

Not real gunny but check out Nichole's bracelet made for her by a friend that was shooting with us that day. One long strand of leather, tied into an Alomar knot, tied into an Alomar knot, tied into an Alomar knot etc. Pretty dang cool.

s0qlj6u.jpg

This old Rangelfap has been around the block a couple of times. For a Ruger Vaquero (old model) in .45 LC.

BV6dRIC.jpg

Old guy can still dance the cans. Henry .22mag. (edit to add) This pic was staged with an empty gun. I was demonstrating how to shoulder a lever gun and then work it from the shoulder for repeat shots for a couple of folks that were interested.

HBuDELb.jpg

Looked down and there is this piece of worked flint, an old knife perhaps, maybe a hide scraper? Too thick for an arrowhead. Thats an old .45 LC case too. But even that old round doesn't date back to the stoneage like the other. Our range is across a dried creekbed and further upstream are numerous grinding stones. Folks been around here for a while.

Last edited:
I am starting to like those range flap holsters more and more.

Independence day is coming up shortly, anyone done anything patriotic on a holster? American flag, etc. ?

Beautiful holsters, I just finished up a custom ruger Blackhawk for myself (hobby gunsmith). I've been toying with the idea of a custom holster and I think you've made up my mind

WEB2 I never have. I know El Paso Saddelry does a flag on a pancake style holster.
Post us some pics crazyengineer.

During a conversation via PM with Dave ( Horsewright ) he sent me a link about hats , in that link there was a picture of Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone .
I had never paid much attention before but the holster set up Doc uses is different from others I've seen .
I found this pic on the web .

42f109bf8a69d12d0955a1f91fe49249_zpsk3x4lodc.jpg

Is this a set up that would have been actually used back in those days or is it something that Hollywood has taken a liberty with ?
If Holliday was a gunfighter like history shows I find it interesting that he used a cross draw rig .

Ken

Wow. That is beautiful work. Makes my hands hurt just looking at all of the stamp work.

now, as i don't wear guns ;), but judging from archery and work with tool belts etc i have always favoured wearing this kind of rig over only belt attached wear. partially due to the fact that the belt might hold my pants somewhat in place, but i alway seem to develop on hell of a plumbers crack over the day, much to the dismay of my coworkers.
also makes the load easier to bear.
kinda funny, when i went to buy my wedding tux/suit the advisor looked at me and said "you are definately not a belt person, you will do much better with suspenders". (don't worry dave, your belt is still going to see use, i still wear a belt every day ;) ).

so long story short, no clue about the speed of crossdraw, but as for the rig being comfortable i would most certainly think so.

Ken I know Tombstone was extremely heavily researched. Tom's FB page talks about it quite a bit. On items that I do know an awful lot about I can find no faults (saddles, bridles cowboygear etc), unlike say Texas Rising which I could fault. A friend of mine that has been heavily involved in the film industry (both sides of the camera) for a lifetime, was over visiting in the shop yesterday. I asked him this question and he said the same thing that this movie was extremely well researched. Further he knew the writer by reputation as a fanatic for detail praticulrly on these types of weapons and had been present when the writer had given a speech at a screening of the movie (for a SASS championship) where he'd talked both aobut the research done and the weapons involved. So no absolute evidence that this rig was so but makes a guy lean that way.
Here's a Dave conjecture. Doc made his living at a poker table. Carrying those weapoons as depicted would make them very deployable while sitting at a table. Much more so than a normal vertical carry. Wild Bill was well known for carrying twin 51's in a crossdraw fashion. Most of the time sans holster and stuck in a sash. However there are photos existant showing him carrying them holstered, both in a crossdraw fashion.

Last edited:
So the real question is who is going to make those vests to sell I want one lol but seriously

One of my favorite movies... good to know that the proper research was done for that one.

Back