PM2 ... real or fake? NEW PICS ON PAGE 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't noticed the edge isn't silver!

I'm convinced it is fake. As soon as they arrive I'll post pics of my own, and may have to send them to Spyderco for an evaluation.

Did you see the post about the lanyard tube on the Para 3? It's all black, inside and out...AND on the edge that shows against the scales. I wouldn't think that would be cause for concern. I'll check mine when I get home. I'm sure that Knifeworks wouldn't sell me a fake. My PM2 is brand new, so if they are doing the Para 3 lanyard tubes in all black, I'm sure they're doing the same thing with the PM2 since it's the same lanyard tube, I'm nearly 99% sure of that.

I'll post up what I find. I'll also give Spyderco a call on the way home and see what they say.

I hadn't noticed the edge isn't silver!

I'm convinced it is fake. As soon as they arrive I'll post pics of my own, and may have to send them to Spyderco for an evaluation.

The primary light source in the pics is from the 11 0'clock position. It is entirely possible that the edge is merely in the shadows. Rather than jump to conclusions, why not simply wait for the knives to arrive? It's not like anything is going to change right now anyway.

The shadow does not have a crisp border either. It may be that multiple lights were used or there could be some post production editing going on.

I bought two for $100 each.

So instead of paying $100 each and going through the hassle of getting them evaluated and worrying about them being genuine , you could have just paid $138 for each from a real dealer and been happy with a no-doubt real Para2.

I just don't get it. But hopefully a lesson has been learned.

Last edited:
I agree. Probably just a shadow on the edge. At $100 a piece, I think it is a good deal, especially if they are in good condition. Online, new ones, all black, will run you $138 - $149 (BHQ) a piece, plus tax in some cases. My friend bought one at brickandmortar store for $150 plus tax.

That said, I have never bought a used knife period, or a new knife from ebay.

Good info regarding the lanyard tube. How old is your PM2? The one I just bought a few days ago is black inside and out, as well as the edge that shows on the scales, if I recall.
2016. I'm not sure on the month, but definitely older than the Para 3.

Regarding the price ...

I look around and couldn't find a new all black PM2 for under $138. So the $76 savings is significant. Also, I bought them on my iphone standing at a project site. I couldn't see any details. After I returned to a real computer I started to wonder. However, had I known there was a chance they were counterfeit I would have just paid the extra $76.

I'm in this now anyway so I'm not rushing anything. I figured I'd use the shipping time to get everyone's comments.

Fakes are gonna kill the knife industry for us that want QUALITY KNIVES. I won't buy Spyderco or other companies knives that are cloned, I'm sick of this s!#/, f!#/ you cloners, truly, i would much rather buy designs/models you came up with yourself on the cheap overseas, than rip off USA knife maker designs, it's not hard to come up with new designs, it's been done time and time again. ALL YOU DO IS MAKE ME WANNA STOP BUYING KNIVES!, I HATE CLONES, come up with your own f\\&&&* designs. All it does is make me wanna stop buying knives in general, cause I can't even trust people in the states anymore!!! Maybe that hour plan? But it can't be cause stealing people's ideas makes you $$$$$!. WhTever.

Reactions: Mo2
Ulf,
I'm 100% with you on this. Again, had I even remotely believed they could have been counterfeit I would have never wasted my time. I've spent way more than $76 in my time watching videos, and arguing with the seller.

The older I get the more I value our most precious commodity: time.

After this ordeal, I'm only ordered folders from known suppliers or direct. The only fixed blades I own are Busse/Kin so no issue there.

Ulf,
I'm 100% with you on this. Again, had I even remotely believed they could have been counterfeit I would have never wasted my time. I've spent way more than $76 in my time watching videos, and arguing with the seller.

The older I get the more I value our most precious commodity: time.

After this ordeal, I'm only ordered folders from known suppliers or direct. The only fixed blades I own are Busse/Kin so no issue there.

Well at least now you know to watch out for the fakes. Especially of the Para2. Very popular in the counterfeit world. Counterfeits are all over the internet and it's disgusting.

I don't blame ya for getting seduced by the black blade. Sexy as hell.

Just got off the phone with Spyderco's Customer Service. Per Spyderco, the lanyard tubes on black PM2's are all black. There's no polishing/sanding of any areas of the black lanyard tube to expose any silver.

It looks like you have the real deal there, sir.

Just got off the phone with Spyderco's Customer Service. Per Spyderco, the lanyard tubes on black PM2's are all black. There's no polishing/sanding of any areas of the black lanyard tube to expose any silver.

It looks like you have the real deal there, sir.

Glad they made em Black. Looks better on a Blacked out knife.

Not to discourage, but the pics are just pics & not always a true representation of what you may receive. Especially from an off seller.

If that is the knife in question, I don't believe it's fake.

Don't sweat it and don't over think it.

i dont belive its fake. and you dont have to send it to spyderco to find out.

One thing I saw online is to look for a tiny "w" cutout on the liners. I didn't check mine last night, but it's supposed to be on the underside (i.e. finger side) of the liners, near the back towards the lanyard tube. Not sure which side it's on, lock or non-lock side.

Anyone else heard of this or have a PM2 to check? The knife the guy posted a pic of was the Yojimbo2, but he indicated that it's not on all Spyderco models, but he was sure that theYo2 and the latest versions of the PM2 has the "w" cutout. It's pretty small. So small that it's easily overlooked.

While some fakes are good, I don't see the fakes going to this level of detail.

One thing I saw online is to look for a tiny "w" cutout on the liners. I didn't check mine last night, but it's supposed to be on the underside (i.e. finger side) of the liners, near the back towards the lanyard tube. Not sure which side it's on, lock or non-lock side.

Anyone else heard of this or have a PM2 to check? The knife the guy posted a pic of was the Yojimbo2, but he indicated that it's not on all Spyderco models, but he was sure that theYo2 and the latest versions of the PM2 has the "w" cutout. It's pretty small. So small that it's easily overlooked.

While some fakes are good, I don't see the fakes going to this level of detail.

Just checked my black/black (S30V), blurple (S120V) & tan(S35VN). All have the little "w" stamp on the compression lock side liner, on the "underside" of the liner, where your fingers wrap around.

You mentioned the barcode doesn't touch the numbers. My brand new PM2 from bladehq looks identical with your barcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back