Pocket Hobbit ?'s

1st: Does the handle of the pocket hobbit completely cover the spine "serrations"?

2nd: I would have a clip put on it...where would I get this done (if anyone knows...and how much this would cost.

3rd: Does the pocket hobbit have steel liners, rather than G-10 only as a handle?

4th: Where is the cheapest place to buy one...knife outlet has one for $115.00.

Yup & yup to nos 1 & 3. I haven't priced them in a while but that seems like a decent price. As to the pocket clip, you may want to try the Kydex belt case for a bit before making any mods. It provides for very fast deployment with a little practice.

It's one of my favorite EDCs -- rock solid, shaving sharp, & nice smooth action.

Thanks Brian:

I've read a few disheartening things today about the "rolling-lock"...not quite sure if I want to spend the money on a knife who's lock might fail under a little pressure. Even though I don't plan on whacking the spine of the blade on anything doesn't mean it won't happen at the worst time. What is your opinion of the lock?

As for the belt sheath...not a fan of 'em, they are just a necessary evil for pistols and such, but for a knife...no thanks...will seek to modify the knife if purchased, but I know mounting screws into G-10 without using liners, is not as sturdy as I would like it, might get stripped out of the plastic.

I've wanted one of these knives since I first read about them in TK...just haven't gotten around to ordering one...I hate ordering knives because you have to wait on them...and I'm not patient when it comes to new toys.

Anyways, thanks for the reply!

I have a PH, Carnivore, and Sifu. I've tested, not abused, the locks on each & they hold up just fine. You're right that there has been a lot of talk about failed rolling locks but, as Bob Brothers has pointed out, hardly any are ever sent back for service. Makes ya wonder why, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I guess I wasn't clear enough earlier. The PH has full steel liners so securely anchoring a clip shouldn't be a problem if you've got the know-how.

Thanks again Brian...

You were perfectly clear about the liners...I was talking about screw-hole liners...never seen a pocket clip screwed directly into the liner of the knife through the G-10 though...

Will REKAT mount clip for me if asked?...maybe I should ask them...

i think its mostly the sifus w/a locking prob - i had a prob w/mine - my only prob w/the PH is that it is 'kinda' a double edge, the serrations on top are pretty sharp, and it has about 1" of std blade too - a CHL instructor (he owned the shop selling the knife.....) and i discussed the legality, in tx, and he said pretty good chance LEO will take knife, if they catch ya w/it - he said was grey area, due to serrations, but he said they would say the 1" section qualifies it as double edge, even if serrations did not - dont know what the laws in NM are, but i hesitate to get one for this reason, in tx - other than that seems like a good knife, well made, good action - he wants $130 by the way........

sifu

Originally posted by bm4shooter
...I was talking about screw-hole liners...never seen a pocket clip screwed directly into the liner of the knife through the G-10 though...

Will REKAT mount clip for me if asked?...maybe I should ask them...

Gotcha -- my misunderstanding. There are some knives, though, with the clip screwed through the scales and directly into the liners. Microtech's CF LCC & Spyderco's G-10 Harpy comes to mind immediately since they are both in front of me :) and I know there are other models as well.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask REKAT about a clip but I wouldn't be surprised if they decline. After all, you'd be asking a manufacturer to customize a production piece. You would probably be better off to ask in Shop Talk if someone is willing to do it for you.

As to it being possibly considered as a double edge, that call is probably up to the individual LEO. FWIW, since neither the serrations nor the tip portion will cut cord or a finger drawn lightly across them, it's not something that I worry about. Of course, YMMV.

I must have an older model. The serrations are very safely tucked away with a good deal of clearance. I t came with a clip [although it's not the strongest] But the lock is strong and solid. A very tough knife where it counts.

Originally posted by HJK
...The serrations are very safely tucked away with a good deal of clearance...

Just to clarify, mine are safely tucked away as well. My comments about the top edge pertained to how a LEO might interpret it to be double edged.

Cory, if you want to check out a Pocket Hobbit let me know and we will get together. I have what I believe is one of the newer models. Drop me an E-mail. I live in the heights.

Right-on Man!
Thanks Easyrider, I'll be in touch...will let you know when I'm free and will find out when your free.

Back