Prescription sunglasses

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
It's time for a new pair, the metal around the lens of my Oakley blender random ly.

I'm extremely hard on glasses/sunglasses, as they never leave my face until I go to sleep.

I won't do metal frames again. Too easy to bend/break, they get really hot, and I hate spring hinges.

I've been wearing Oakley for at least ten years. Had two pairs of flak jacket xlj, then the blender. I'm leery to go back to Oakley due to dissatisfaction with customer service and I've heard quality has gone down hill. Maui Jim would be my first choice, but they don't accept insurance, and $600 is too much.

My insurance covers up to $140 on frames, and 20% off lenses.

I'm looking for something very durable. Here's what I'm considering:

Oakley Flak 2.0--They are durable as hell, but very ostentatious

Oakley Turbine Rotor--less ostentatious, not sure of durability and how well they stay on

My local opthalmologist also carries Nike, and I like the traverse a lot, but know next to nothing about Nike eyewear.

Other suggestions welcome, as long as insurance covers them. Thanks y'all.

I would recommend going with what you can get from your local guy. I've bought prescription sunglasses online (cheaply) and from my local opthamologist and the one that I went and tried on and got fitted for have been much better. They will make sure they fit and will be happy to refit them for you if you bend them, etc. They also handle all the lens stuff directly so no mistakes and deal with the insurance.

My online ones are okay for a back up pair but I wouldn't want to wear them for hours every day. I have very poor uncorrected vision and wear my glasses all the time so I know how important glasses are.

I wear Oakley prescription sunglasses that I order directly from them. For me, Oakley are damn near indestructible and wear them for everything from running around town to fishing to shooting at outdoor ranges. I have an Oakley store near me so I go in and try on and choose my frames but then order the frames ans lenses directly from oakley.com. I can tell the difference between the local optometrist's lenses and the Oakley's...the O lenses are much more clear and the black iridium is a lot darker than what I've found locally. My eyes are somewhat sensitive to sunlight so I like to have my lenses dark.

It's hard to recommend anything because not all sunglasses can have prescription lenses and not all sunglasses fit to your face. I would go to local glasses joint and check out what feels good for you. I have Oakleys and I am very happy with them though they are not with prescription.

Almost all of the "cool" prescription sunglasses are unable to accommodate my prescription. They usually top out at around 4 diopters and I am in the 7.5 range. My solution was to buy a pair of the same frames I wear as my regular glasses (they were very inexpensive online) and had the optical place at the local Walmart make a set of polarized single-vision (don't need bifocal sunglasses) lenses for ~$50. I did the same thing for a set of yellow-lensed shooting glasses. All three sit on my face in exactly the same way.

Warby Parker... free to try on glasses, great quality, great prices. I've used them for years and have no need to look any further. Great company IMHO.

Another option is of course to use contact lenses with sunglasses, then you can go with anything you like. :)

I am unable to wear contacts. Anyway, I finally ordered a pair from my opthalmologist. Nike Skylon Ace XV in wolf grey.

The lenses are through a local shop that makes really high end polycarbonate lenses. Better than what you get from most manufacturers.

Back