Preventing rust on used and washed kitchen knives

Looking for some advice. Had some rust on stainless steel kitchen knives. Wire wheeled/sanded the rust off like my hand tools in the garage, but they reform rust quicker in the areas they got wire wheeled/sanded.

Bear in mind, these knives are used, washed in a dishwasher and left in the dishwasher. Treated just like spoons and forks and dishes. The spoons are forks are not rusting.

Is it the coarse scratch pattern from wire wheels and 220 grit sandpaper that is accelerating the rust?

It just seems that these knives went a decade without rust, and then all of the sudden in the last 6 months decided to corrode.

I don't mind rust on my tools in the garage and my car has no problems with a rusty wrench, but I'm not particularly fond of rust when I'm eating a steak.

NEVER put kitchen knives in the dishwasher for a variety of reasons, rust spots being well down the list. Forks and spoons are made out of non-hardening stainless.

To answer your question yes the wirewheel and saning will make them rust faster unless you take it up to a higher grit polish and buff. You have a few options you can sand and polish these back to a more polished finished or Use a mineral oil and or wax to combat the rust or just soak them in hot vinegar for a patina to help stop it.

Last edited:
Dishwashers don't get remotely hot enough to "mess with the temper" as a rule. What they will do is mess with the handle, especially if it is glued on.
To answer your question yes the wirewheel and saning will make them rust faster unless you take it up to a higher grit polish and buff. As stated the reason dishwashers are froened upon for knives is the heat factor. And messing with the temper and such. You have a few options you can sand and polish these back to a more polished finished or Use a mineral oil and or wax to combat the rust or just soak them in hot vinegar for a patina to help stop it.

Dishwasher environment = etching to the apex of your blade edge. Never put knives in dishwasher. Also, your wire wheel is carbon steel and impinging same into stainless blade.

Hope them's cheap knives you got there OP.

The Rust/oxidation is in the steel. You can clean it off but it will return fast with leaving knives wet and we food on them.

Also the Detergent and stuff used in dish washers so you don't get spots will frostt the cutting edge and deteriorate the edge in a few washing's, not to forget ruining the handle.

Hand wash in hot water with soap , hand dry and wipe the blade with food grade mineral oil.

I didn't see you mention what the handles are made of. My steak knives are not expensive but the handles are also stainless and have been put in the dishwasher with the forks and spoons for well over 20 yrs. No rusting at all. As mentioned you need to get the finish (smooth) back on the knives to cut back on any rusting, The wire wheel did not help at all. If the handles were wood you should have seen a problem with these a long time ago. Most knives are not dishwasher safe, especially the wooden handle steak knives, and should never be place in one except the ones that are all stainless as I stated mine are. Your tools will also rust faster after using a wire brush.

I'd give them a good scrub with green scotch-brite, or even a stone to get rid of any traces of the carbon steel from the wire wheel.
As for the change and them rusting, you could have had a change in water PH, soap, drying agent, all kinds of things could have added to it.

1 prevent rust by drying your knives after washing them.
2 applying mineral oil after drying them.

Back