Pro Tip of the Day

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
!@#$%^&*()*^&%#$%^%^!!!!!

Its happened to all of us. That stray mark right in the middle of a project. This is the top, a yoke for a pair of leggings. See that dark streak right in the middle? Buffing compound. I'd just buffed the edge on my roundknife to cut these out and must of got a little bit on my hand. !@#$%^%$#@!!!

TscUvlY.jpg

What to do? We've all had some grunge or dirt get on a project. To the rescue:

Z5Lw2uT.jpg

Bought a gallon of this stuff years ago for like $10 at the Depot. Little bit on a paper towel and then rinse with clear water on a second paper towel and poof gone.

iESqJHd.jpg

Saved that piece of leather. Oxacallic acid has been used for years to clean leather. However, its pretty dangerous stuff and is getting more and more difficut to find. Honestly this stuff has some in it and it seems to work better than the straight Oxacallic acid soulution anyways.

Last edited:
Yep but only if you are tired of grunge. Also those annoying little green spots..... yep gets rid of them too. Course using good leather gets rid of them too.

Horsewright,
Notice that stuff is good for mold and mildew, I've got a bag with white powder mildew that I can't get rid of. Do you think it would work for that?
thank, Randy/rtmind

Ya know rtmind, I'd probably give it a try. if it has mold on it already what do you have to loose really. Let us know how it works.

Went out and bought some last week and wouldn't ya know I had a piece of leather with a black smudge on it today. That Behr Premium cleaned it up quick and easy. Great Stuff
John S.

Good deal John glad that worked for ya!! Ya know I hadn't used mine since I did this post, until yesterday then I use it twice. Just handy to have around.

Great tip Dave! I really hate working with Oxacallic. I've found it to be a really powerful lung irritant even though it doesn't really smell. Dangerous stuff indeed. Have a whole powdered bag of it from Sheridan Leather that'll probably last a lifetime as well as a milk jug mixed with the right amount of water. However, if I can get rid of it all together in lieu of this, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

Good deal Chad. Yeah I threw mine away too. Best part I've found this stuff works better.

That I did not know. Worst is sticking that awl blade under the thumb nail!

That I did not know. Worst is sticking that awl blade under the thumb nail!

Worst has to be dropping it and stepping on it barefoot! I haven't done it, but I know someone who was trying to clean up his stuff and dropped it and didn't realize it. Found it real fast, stepped on it and broke it in half with about 3 inches in the heel of his foot.

Ok gonna give ya that one. Thats gonna be worse than sticking it under your thumb nail....a little!

Back