Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

The crickets of summer.

Ivory handle and spacers are fit, getting ready to mash a giant block of stacked leather. Went with blackwood and Richlite on the bronze one, I couldn't get the antler to look right. I'd post pics but I like to hear Sheldon whine about progress.

;):thumbsup:

Using some of the maroonish "Cabernet" paperstone with the Alt. Ivory. It's been a challenge to find the right spacer layout with these.

I'm looking into installing some kind of time lapse camera over my main workbench for better WIP stuff.

:thumbsup:
Looking really Nice!
Never been an all white ivory kinda of guy, but that does look great.

We need some leathery stackness. Usually I make these individually but this should give me a block that I can cut into four handles.
IMG_20170829_171312-948x949.jpg
I made one of them thar time lapse videos of cutting these out (thrilling, I know:p) but I couldn't get it to load here, I think the file was too big.

I hadn't heard of paperstone until you mentioned it here, I wonder if polishing heat will change the colors? What's your take? I know, Google is my friend...

Glad you got the haircut; I'll try to post in the right thread next time. o_O

Some shapeshifters have had me on guard:p

The red in the Bowie will darken up a lot, the thing I like about it is that is has some character. It's not solid red like a PVC, there's almost like a smoky grain to it. The Richlite seems to be denser, but I think they both will make great handle material.

Soak, smash
IMG_20170830_105701-1129x2006.jpg
Dry
IMG_20170830_103315173-1503x2672.jpg
Cut
IMG_20170830_103400428-1503x2672.jpg
Cube
IMG_20170830_105033-2088x1491.jpg
Soak, smash, dry, cut, cube. Easy Peasy.

For the soak, I dilute some Dawn and white glue in water. Dawn to fight mold, the glue to help bond.

The smash compresses them so they can't shrink over time.

When they dry, I treat them like a solid block, drill them out and attach with epoxy.

Though it cuts easy, it's gotta be hell on the bandsaw blade!

Starting to get a family resemblance even with the tactical coated shop blade.
IMG_20170831_183717.jpg
Going with a black richlite spacer capped with an 1/8" nickel silver plate on the butt end.

Edit:. If I would have read the entire post I would have seen it was black richlite. Looking good!

Last edited:
Back