PSK knife thread

Jeff,

you're screwed now pal, best you figure out a way to ramp up production 'cos everyone is going to want some of that action (me first!). Those sheaths are hawt! :thumbup:

GUYS! - I was late getting to work today!
I couldn't get my inflated head in my car!!

Thanks. I appreciate the comments - a lot.
I have some minor chages to the one shown - to complement the brass pins in the PSK, I am going to replace the top rivet with an annealed one and use brass screws. Last night I had forgotten I had brass screws. I am also going to reheat the top-back lip and flare it slightly back to funnel the front edge of the PSK handle into the sheath.

The PSK design is very compatible with Kydex. It also provides a very good place to lock solidly onto it and still allow smooth insertion and extraction. The "Jr." and "Sr." possess this same characteristic. Now I am going to have to buy one of each of those to play with.

If you mess with Kydex and see a feature you like on what I have done, please feel free to incorporate it with your ideas. This is a good "melting pot" to throw ideas together to come up with the best carry options. Maybe between us we can come up with something worthy of the knife itself. I think a Kydex/Leather "carry option set" would be great. We have a great pocket-sheath design already submitted by IUKE12. What else can we do?

Who is going to spearhead the "creative cord-wrap" project? I need help there.

Thanks, Buffalohump. I have a "creative streak" that works when I am "inspired" (really want something I can't afford or can't get someone to make it) but, man, am I slow.

Thanks, Buffalohump. I have a "creative streak" that works when I am "inspired" (really want something I can't afford or can't get someone to make it) but, man, am I slow.

Jeff,

Did you get my PM??

Take care,
Brett

OK, I think I have it finished. I swapped the steel screws for brass but they lack the required patina. I found that I had to chase the threads in the aluminum "nuts" with a 8-32 tap (load the tap with vegetable shortening or Lee case-sizing lube for aluminum) and they fit perfectly. The threads were so close you cannot tell they were touched. I also flared the back of the mounth of the sheath so the square edge of the PSK's handle - a fault of theh original sheath design, not the handle - I LOVE this handle.

ZZSGPSK08041208.jpg

ZZSGPSK09041208.jpg

And, thanks, Brett for the help with the photos!

So far, we have seen some incredible leather and some Kydex but I am waiting to see paracord wrap variations. This has been a very neat "idea exchange" forum and - "thanks for that," Scott. Aside from being an great knife - which has replaced a couple others I no longer need and have sold - it is also a great platform for exercising your creativity and personal preferences in carry options. If I could right now, I would have one of each variation on order, to include the "Sr." and the PSK/Tusk Hybrid but I have to spread them out a bit and hope the Kydex and leather supply holds out while I play with the two I have.

Well I hope everything works out with your possible supplier, because you make some great kydex sheaths and I think everyone (including me) would love to get our hands on one.

Well I hope everything works out with your possible supplier........

Yeah, I have the same problem with my supplier every single time I order supplies - THEY WANT MONEY!!;):D

Right now I am using from what I bought a while back and am watching the pennies. The knife budget is fixed and is suspended occasionally due to emergencies and such - recently suspended as a matter of fact but will be on track for customs I have on order.

Thanks for the compliments MrPink.

Jeff I challenge you. Your kydex sheath vs. my awesome cardboard & and duct tape sheath.

My girlfriend has the camera tonight, so web cam pictures it is.

Picture40.jpg

Picture43.jpg

Picture45.jpg

It looks cheap, but it's actually built quite well. Duct tape in and out for durability and smooth transitions, tension set just right. I could even wear it as a neck sheath due to the holes at the end of the knife or add a loop to wear on the belt. Simple folded cardboard, which is why I put the instructions on the sheath to face the edge toward the crease instead of the open end, which the knife could slice like butter. I also folded the end like this this to keep the tip from accidentally poking through (I used cardboard, paper was just to demonstrate).

Picture47.jpg

Picture48.jpg

Picture42.jpg

Jeff I challenge you. Your kydex sheath vs. my awesome cardboard & and duct tape sheath......

Man,.... I can't touch that. Cheap, low mass, innoucous, low thermal conductivity, can be cannibalized for first aid purposes and durable,... durable? Well "durable enough" and cheap ehough that "who cares" if it wears out in a year? No kidding, I have two wood chisel sheaths made that way, a sharpening stone sheath and used to make them for my cordless' batteries before they went and got all nuts with higher-voltage, odd-shaped batteries and got away from the "stick" type battery. It's a very pracytical and versatile means of "sheath" making and, in my personal opinion, an unfair challenge. I mean, c'mon! DUCT TAPE?? Who can beat THAT?? Really!

Good work Mr. Pink. :D:D

Hahah, thank you. I had it in my pocket yesterday at work and could hardly tell it was there.

I have a question for you Jeff. I've been admiring your kydex sheaths for the PSK. Since the PSK comes in a few variations (handle wise - naked, cord wrapped, and micarta seems to be most common), could you tweak the sheaths to adjust to fit the different handle sizes? I was thinking where the two brass screws are, you could loosen it and tighten it depending what handle you have on it. I'll most likely switch back and forth from naked to paracord wrap so it'd be nice to have one kydex sheath that could accommodate both. Kydex is pretty flexible and indestructible so it might work. What do you think? Not that I dislike my cardboard sheath, but it'd be nice to get a proper sheath.

hey guys,

Well, its been a looooong wait but I was finally able to get that box open today and check out my brand new PSK.

I had to wait a week or so, as it was a birthday gift, but the day finally came and boy was I pleased when I was able to hold it and check it out, after looking at so many pics on the net.

This is one cool little knife let me tell you. Perfect size for what it is, perfectly balanced in the hand, just enough blade, sharp as anything.

I got the green canvas scales and they are just great - nice and rough, lovely colour (which I know will darken with time) and the brass pins look fantastic against them.

My favourite though is the tiny little choil. So cute! What fantastic attention to detail. The sheath is rudimentary, yes, but it works perfectly.

My wife said it perfectly when I unwrapped it - "well, you can see it wasn't made in a factory". Its a handmade knife all the way. Enough chatter, here are the pics!

P1010019-1.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

Last edited:
Oh ya, very nice, and worth the wait:cool: I imagine we'll be seeing some action pics soon:)

That is a fantastic looking sheath sir!

OK, I think I have it finished. I swapped the steel screws for brass but they lack the required patina. I found that I had to chase the threads in the aluminum "nuts" with a 8-32 tap (load the tap with vegetable shortening or Lee case-sizing lube for aluminum) and they fit perfectly. The threads were so close you cannot tell they were touched. I also flared the back of the mounth of the sheath so the square edge of the PSK's handle - a fault of theh original sheath design, not the handle - I LOVE this handle.

And, thanks, Brett for the help with the photos!

So far, we have seen some incredible leather and some Kydex but I am waiting to see paracord wrap variations. This has been a very neat "idea exchange" forum and - "thanks for that," Scott. Aside from being an great knife - which has replaced a couple others I no longer need and have sold - it is also a great platform for exercising your creativity and personal preferences in carry options. If I could right now, I would have one of each variation on order, to include the "Sr." and the PSK/Tusk Hybrid but I have to spread them out a bit and hope the Kydex and leather supply holds out while I play with the two I have.

Back