PSK Sr Passaround Reviews

Absolutely NO edge degradation after beating the knife through the seasoned Cherry!
SGPSKSR07051008.jpg

Notching green Dogwood was easy.
SGPSKSR08051008.jpg

Pot hook from a Cherry sapling cut last weekend - quick and easy.
SGPSKSR09051008.jpg

Seasoned Maple.
SGPSKSR10051008.jpg

Still plenty sharp, no nicks, no burrs, no rolls - a tribute to the strength of the secondary convex and proper tempering.
SGPSKSR11051008.jpg

C'mon, admit it, we're all "fuzzy junkies." Here's the pair - PSK Sr and Standard PSK. If someone stumbled upon your frozen dead body in the woods and you had either or both of these on your person, they sure couldn't blame your state of affairs on your selection of wilderness tools.:thumbup::thumbup:
SGPSKSR12051008.jpg

Thanks, Scott.
Thanks, Brett.

Great knife and I am honored to have had the priviledge to play with it!!

Great review! Man, I really need to pony up the dough and get one of those PSK jrs.

Thanks, Rockywolf.
How 'bout that awesome "battle scar" on my PSK?
That thing gets used a lot and I actually did everything (and more) with my handle-less one when I reviewed it. The "Sr." is everything the "Standard" is and (several inches) more.:thumbup:

Thanks for the review Jeff. :thumbup: One way I check the strength of my edges is by chopping on a well seasoned elk skull plate. Dried out bone is HARD especially an elk skull.
Scott

on moose antler..doesn't have marrow like other bones and MAN that stuff is hard! Busse used to use it at shows to show the edge toughness of there INFI steel.I know 01 isn't INFI but it is a good test.

I have no Elk skulls or Moose antlers so I had to settle for seasoned hardwood. I have some Deer antler and Cow horn but I have other plans for that.:) I was splitting kindling out of a 4" section of hardwood once and "found" a piece of stone embedded in it with one of my A2 knives from another maker. It put a tiny nick in the edge and left a scratch the full width up the side of the blade.:eek: Later I realized there was an exact twin of that scratch up the opposite side so, it seems I split the stone in two!! Not without consequences, of course but it says something about certain tool steels........ "kick-ass" tool steels.:)

No sweat, Scott. The pleasure and priviledge was all mine. I will tryto do some "comparison shots" today with other knives others will recognize to get a "feel" for it's size and form. It fools you looking at the photos and then once you get it in your hand it looks large but "feels" (handles) small. It's one you must handle to fully appreciate and, I believe anyone who handles it WILL appreciate it.

Best get on with some Mother's Day activities now. I will ship it tomorrow if I get an address sometime today. May be in my e-mail already.

Thanks, Ace'.
Hey, great props! (Sebbie, Ruger...)
I was never able to get any comparative shots today but it's boxed up and ready to go out in the morning.

The PSK Sr arrived late yesterday. I must say that it is a much more substantial knife than I expected. The PSK Sr. arrived with some patina and a little rust on the blade. It is pretty dull to my standards, but I am going to put it on a strop before I use it. I must say that all the work this knife has done it is in great shape.

The PSK Sr would make an excellent primary knife. It is not to large for fine work and not to small for batoning wood. This is about the same size knife I use for 90% of my outdoors work. When I first saw a picture of the PSK Sr. I wondered about the handle because it was so box shaped, however the knife is very comfortable in the hand and is secure in all holds. My favorite part about the PSK Sr. is the cut out for the first finger. On knives of this size I do not like coils as they take up usable edge, but coils allow you to control the blade for fine cutting. Scott has the best of both worlds on the PSK Sr, a cut out that give you all of the edge and the control of a coil. This may be a small or even unnoticed feature to some, it is a huge asset to me.

The sheath is very simple, functional and well made. To me, the PSK Sr. is a little large and heavy to wear as a neck knife, however many will find it to work fine for a neck knife. I would prefer a belt sheath, which I am sure Scott could easily make.

These are preliminary observations and after holding the PSK Sr. and simulating different grips and uses for an hour or so I cannot wait to get some field time with it in the next couple of days.

I'm surprised that with all the cutting "especially the pineapple", that there is little to no patina showing in any of the pics. :D

It's a magic O1 variant. No patina, unless you want one.....:p:D

Seriously, I've used my PSK a lot and no real heavy patina. perhaps it's the structure of O1 or something.

Scott could speak to that.

Brett

It has a nice satin finish to it and anytime you rinse it or wipe it down most of the gunk will come off easy. If it had a rougher finish like a bead blast or 250 grit sandpaper finish it will be a little more suseptable to rust and tarnish. The PSK Sr is easy to keep clean since it has a smooth finsh.

One thing about carbon steel is the finer the finish the better it will resist rust and discoloring. My final finish is with a fine scotchbrite loaded with 600 grit aluminum oxide compound. The one thing that will cause rust no matter what the finish is the steel staying wet for a period of time.
Scott

I had a fun time with the senior, lots to like about this knife. I really like the overall simplicity of the design. The micarta handle feels secure and looks to be a very long lasting durable material. The knife arrived working sharp, I used it as is. The spear point tip appears stout, so I ran some tip tests, stabbing the knife into a semi punky log I have by the wood pile. I stabbed and pried till I broke a sweat, no damage to the tip at all. Next up was a little baton work. I know this has been done to death, but that didn't stop me from splitting up some seasoning oak. The PSK goes through like no tomorrow. I also wanted to see how well this knife mates with a quality fire steel, no surprise here, tons of sparks with the Light My Fire Scout, no damage to spine that could not be wiped away. Moving on to some rope cutting tests, I sliced up some sisal that is notoriously tough on edges. I made about 30 cuts, also taking note that I was not getting any hot spots with this handle. I then handed the knife to my wife, busy in the kitchen preparing dinner. I gave here instructions to cut up the salad veggies and give me some feedback. I am happy to say that she enjoyed using the PSK, thought it was sharper than anything in the drawer, and hinted about getting one for the kitchen. Pick a number love, was my reply, I'm first. I found the kydex sheath to be well built and it firmly locked the knife in place, you could use it as is for neck carry, although my personal preference for a knife this size would be belt carry. I would like to see this knife with hollow pins to fasten the micarta, I think they have the edge in strength and more appealing to MY eyes, not that there's anything wrong with solid pins. I found the overall length, blade/handle ratio to be just right for a bushy craft type of tool. The weight at just under 5 oz. is perfect in my book. I could use it all day and never feel fatigued like I do with thicker knives. This is a keeper and I have convinced myself that I need one. I want to thank all those responsible for making this passaround possible, it sure was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
great review! it's such a great all around knife. It's no surprise it's popular.

Never know, IUKE, you might win this one...:)

Take care,
Brett

Thanks guys. I think the edge has seen a few mouse pads, nothing left of the original secondary convex edge as far as I can determine:confused:
It appears to be just one big old convex edge now. I touched it up a bit before boxing it up.

Back