Pulling the trigger on a 2x72 TODAY advice.

I decided to buy a 2x72 and need a little advice. I'm thinking a KMG step pully package. My small basement shop isn't wired for 220, but I do have 220 in my garage for a welder (50 amp). Should I buy a 220 and reroute (panel is in my shop but will be a PIA) or should I buy a 110 and if so, what would be the best 110 2x72 under 2k?
Thanks guys. Any and all opinions welcomed.

Lots of threads regarding this subject recently. Use the custom search function in the stickies section of this forum. Whatever grinder you go with get a variable speed drive. You won't regret it for a second.
Look at Northridge Tool, Esteem, Pheer, Wilmont (to name a few) for other options.

Lots of threads regarding this subject recently. Use the custom search function in the stickies section of this forum. Whatever grinder you go with get a variable speed drive. You won't regret it for a second.
Look at Northridge Tool, Esteem, Pheer, Wilmont (to name a few) for other options.
Ive read about issues with VFD, have they been worked out? Ive been making knives with a 2x42 so anything would be an upgrade!

Last edited:
i do not have experience with a 220v motor, but i use a kmg with a 120v /pulleys and it works fine for me.

Ive read about issues with VFD, have they been worked out? Ive been making knives with a 2x42 so anything would be an upgrade!
Interesting, I wasn't aware of VFD issues on a large scale. I use a VS controller from KB Electronics (KBAC 27D) and have not had a problem.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of VFD issues on a large scale. I use a VS controller from KB Electronics (KBAC 27D) and have not had a problem.
I was reading some older threads with KMG VFD issues. Now checking the dates, those posts are from 2013 and '14.

Why a KMG? I've read very few threads about VFD issues and a great many threads to the tune of "Why the hell did I buy a KMG?"

worthy of mention, i have heard some kmg's are not as well made as others, and arrive with issues. i must have gotten lucky with mine. also heard the customer service is not good. this will be a problem if you get one that is not well made.

There is a Pheer 454 on ebay right now. It's a 1hp with KBAC, flat platen, and 8 inch contact wheel. There's also an Esteem in the for sale area.

I have the 3 speed with 1-1/2 horse motor. No problems with tracking that other people seem to have. It does everything I need. My only complaint is the tension arm is to short. But I just made an add on. I would buy another if I needed to.

I've done several thousand knives on my Pheer. When I first got it years back, I'd had it about a week and the VFD popped and quit working. Jose had a new one to me overnight. Finally wore that one out and upgraded to a bigger badder VFD for a whole $150 or so and have continued to motor on. Get the VFD. I would not heistate to buy another Pheer grinder either.

Slow down.

Slow Waaaay down.

Don't be anxious to spend the money today.
With shipping it will still take a couple weeks to get.

If you buy the wrong thing, getting it fast won't help you.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...-you-want-in-one-place.1052730/#post-12016587
Read the grinder section on that.

Apparently you can plug a 2HP motor into 110v and get 1.5hp, or you can hook it up to 220 and get 2 hp out of it.

Read the reviews on Salem's website.

Try and use some other grinders in person.

My 2 cents, I prefer a grinder with 56C motor and direct drive with KBAC27D VFD

Look at building the GIB / EERF

I can recommend the Esteem grinder. It is a well made beast and you won't be sorry about the way it functions. Get the VFD. I run mine on 110 and never bog it down unless ultra-slow speed.
The Northridge also looks like a pretty interesting grinder.
I have to agree as above: Don't rush this, and get what you need from the start. Then you will have much joy.

price and availability mostly. Id like a Pheer but they appear to be over a month wait.

You've waited until now. What's another month?

There's so many things wrong with the KMG regardless of whether it tracks/runs well or not compared to newer designs. Not wrong I guess, but dated. A single tool arm slot? No provision for a gas spring? Short tension arm? Tool arm slot mounted on two edges rather than making up an entire bulkhead of support?

I can make anything I want and there's nothing about a KMG I would even copy other than the platen hole spacing and platen arm hole/arc slot spacing. It's not designed to be a great grinder. It's designed to be easily manufactured from cold rolled barstock.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I've been making knives on a 2x42 for 8 years. I seriously need to upgrade. I've just had some issues with my grinder and screwed up 3 blades in a row. I'm not using it for any more grinding. I've got about 16 or 17 blades in the works but at a stand still. Patience is not my virtue sometimes.

If you need it today and want to have some future proofing, I would call Northridge Grinders. They have a standard model in your price range with many standard features that are upgrades for other makers/machines. Their website gives a breakdown of various packages with prices along with the accessories available so you have an idea of what future upgrades will cost. Buy once, cry once. Some of the other grinders mentioned are very nice but I feel you don't get the same bang for your buck.

With all the negative feedback coming out recently on the KMG's I wouldn't buy one without being able to give it a test run first to make sure it didn't have any issues.

I genuinely don't understand how ANYONE would consider a KMG at this point in time. Overlooking the wretched build quality, pulley system and total absence of customer service, they're no longer competitive in the arena.

There's plenty of cheaper machines that work great, but my next machine will likely be a Northridge, although the Weurtz TW90 is an exceptional machine, too.

@mgregory in 3, 2, 1...

i'm a newbie compared to the sage advice you're getting. however, i did buy a KMG w/step pulley and wish i saved more for a VFD. i mentioned mgregory because his knives are badass and he he has a lot of things to say about KMG -- things that i wouldn't ignore if given my purchase over again.

Back