Quartermaster knives

After getting a Quartermaster Murdock on trade on a whim, I found the design to grow on me. It isn't bad to hold, and actually opens pretty well. What I am wondering is if any of you guys have experience with any Quartermaster knives, because I have seen them called Mantis quite a few times, and after reprofiling the blade took me a few hours on my stone, I know the steel is a legit 154cm (which is not BS, so it can't be Mantis).

I am not looking for "Oh, their knives are ugly as sin!" or "Looks like Mantis to me." I am looking for actual experience with the brand, because I like what I have seen thus far (I like a quirky and weird as hell design) and am looking at expanding my collection on this brand.

It is a Mantis, right? Google Mantis Tough Tony and there is a small resemblance. Also, over 5 ounces for a 2.75" bladed knife sounds a little brick-like, how does it feel?

Also, is that handle as uncomfortable as it looks? What about the, er, legendary Mantis fit and finish quality? How well put together is it?

What I am wondering is if any of you guys have experience with any Quartermaster knives, because I have seen them called Mantis quite a few times, and after reprofiling the blade took me a few hours on my stone, I know the steel is a legit 154cm (which is not BS, so it can't be Mantis).

It wasn't the 154cm that was suspect, Mantis claimed to use 440v, and then made up a new steel none of us had ever heard of: M-vX

Jared from Mantis is now at Quartermaster, and he posted with an "ultimate" interview to rag on the forums.

It is a Mantis, right? Google Mantis Tough Tony and there is a small resemblance. Also, over 5 ounces for a 2.75" bladed knife sounds a little brick-like, how does it feel?

Also, is that handle as uncomfortable as it looks? What about the, er, legendary Mantis fit and finish quality? How well put together is it?

Quartermaster isn't affiliated with Mantis. Jared lead everyone to believe he owned Mantis when in fact it was his father's company and he was merely left to run it for the last several years. Apparently the father and son had a falling out, Jared left Mantis, not on good terms (believe he's being pursued legally by the father), and he's been popping up here and there designing for different companies like Combat Ready/Quartermaster/etc.

That's what I found when I looked into Quartermaster Knives, cause I also thought it was a Mantis spinoff too.

I don't know who actually owns Quartermaster, but I do know Combat Ready is a in house brand from SMKW, and both obviously have designs influenced by Jared (or stolen from Mantis).

I don't think I'll be buying from any of the aforementioned companies.

-sh00ter

Quartermaster isn't affiliated with Mantis.

Ah, I assumed they must be the same folks because here are the Mantis Tough Tony and Quartermaster Murdock in images:

I4Z3LLv.png

They do seem sort of similar in style . . .

Jared lead everyone to believe he owned Mantis when in fact it was his father's company and he was merely left to run it for the last several years. Apparently the father and son had a falling out, Jared left Mantis, not on good terms (believe he's being pursued legally by the father), and he's been popping up here and there designing for different companies like Combat Ready/Quartermaster/etc.

That's what I found when I looked into Quartermaster Knives, cause I also thought it was a Mantis spinoff too.

I don't know who actually owns Quartermaster, but I do know Combat Ready is a in house brand from SMKW, and both obviously have designs influenced by Jared (or stolen from Mantis).

I don't think I'll be buying from any of the aforementioned companies.

-sh00ter

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy anything connected to Mantis either, really.

It is a rather hefty knife, but the F&F is quite nice. All corners of the liners are nice and rounded, administration the jimping provides a positive grip without annihilating your thumb. With a new edge on it somewhere around 30° inclusive it actually slices quite well. Opening is nice and smooth, and while you can't flick it open (no way to get enough purchase with your thumb) you can guide it open super easily. The edges on the handle are also surprisingly nice.

The only real problem is that the lock is pretty sticky, but many knives are like that. I had a Pit Boss (for a short time, until I sharpened the pot metal), and i can say that this knife is wholly unaffiliated with Mantis aside from the design. This is actually a good knife with a funky and fresh design done right.

I had a B.A. Baracas from Quartermaster...for all of about 15 minutes. That's about how long it took me to unwrap it, take it outta the box, look it over, see all the obvious flaws, put it back in the box, and then contact the seller for store credit. :rolleyes: No more QMs for me. I'm willing to accept the possibility that I got a lemon, but it was bad enough to sour me on the possibility of ordering anything else from them. I'm glad to hear you got a good one. :thumbup:

When I clicked on this thread, I was anticipating a discussion about THE Army Quartermaster knives- the Cattaraugus 223-Q and the Case 337-Q-6 from WW2, two of the best and least appreciated knives of the era (IMHO). Oops. Not.

When I clicked on this thread, I was anticipating a discussion about THE Army Quartermaster knives- the Cattaraugus 223-Q and the Case 337-Q-6 from WW2, two of the best and least appreciated knives of the era (IMHO). Oops. Not.

No, this thread is about qrtmeister knives..... ;)

Not anything close to the old Catts.

Well someone posted Proof over on the green forum that quartermaster knives seem to be outsourced from china.

I believe this is what is floating around.

http://portexaminer.com/trade-data/wayeah-knives-tools-co-ltd-copiousity-llc/amigsa36l64504/

The, "notified" party is as follows.

COPIOUSITY LLC
227 TURKEY DRIVE AUSTIN,TX.78620

This is the address given by J. West as to the companies location.

Thanks! Wonder how many 'businesses' are run out of that address. COPIOUSITY look like a front company to disguise Quartermasters overseas purchases. And after then went as far as to say even the boxes were 100% US made... these people have no honor.

Along with Jared West, there's also a Lee Price at Quartermaster, unless it's an alias.

dkb45, glad you like the knife, may I ask how you know the steel is 154CM?

I have reprofiled 154cm a few times, and sharpened it quite a few times. It responded just like I know 154cm to. The minor cutting I have done also has made absolutely zero impact on the edge, when a lower grade steel should have had a little bit of dulling. If it isn't 154cm, whatever it is is great and should be used more often.

Back