Question for 300 Series pocket knife owners!

I carry a 301 everyday as well as a yellow handle case CV. I love buck and case quality. I like the buck when I know it's gonna get wet or cutting something like an apple or something corrosive it just can't be beat. I live the quality and simplicity of a buck but the main reason of carried a buck knife for over 20 years is their company motto. They recognize who is really in control. And when I gift a knife,it is always a buck because as well as top quality cutlery whoever receives it also receives an invitation to accept CHRIST AS SAVIOUR.

I only have one the BCCI BG-42 without the logo. I have always carried a small single blade locking folder when I wanted a small knife till I got my club knife. I took it out of the box and put it in my pocket. I do use the thin black leather sheith all the time and I'm sure that helps to keep it nice and fairly scratch free. The BG-42 steel has stayed very sharp and I consider it the best 300 series knife by Buck ever made. I'm so glad I got one! Was there ever another made with any other super steel ? S30V maybe?

I carry a 301 everyday as well as a yellow handle case CV. I love buck and case quality. I like the buck when I know it's gonna get wet or cutting something like an apple or something corrosive it just can't be beat. I live the quality and simplicity of a buck but the main reason of carried a buck knife for over 20 years is their company motto. They recognize who is really in control. And when I gift a knife,it is always a buck because as well as top quality cutlery whoever receives it also receives an invitation to accept CHRIST AS SAVIOUR.

Well said Sir.

Clay

I carry Buck 300s because they are American made for the most part and because I really like their 420hc steel. In addition, they are inexpensive enough for me to use without fear of losing them or damaging them in some way. They are high value knives. I always have at least one Buck on me. Love them!

Alex

Well that 301 you're picturing wasn't made by Buck Knives...that was made by Camillus.Up until 1986 I believe Buck contracted Schrade Cutlery and Camillus to make their 300 Series of pocket knives for them.And they did a bang up job too!You'll notice the clip-point is longer and nicer done.Don't know why Buck eliminated the long-pull nail nick.The scales were made from sawcut delrin and not Valox (which feels more like plain nylon).The blade steel was 440A...better craftsmanship from the contracted Buck pocket knives.

I don't know which 301 Frotier was referring to in post 36. As the one above is a 303 and it is made by Buck.? DM

I'm guessing he was referring to post 1 and the pic the OP posted?

Thanks Frotier. I guess I should have mentioned Camillus in my post. Didn't want to suggest that Camillus made are better than Buck made. They both have their pros and cons. :thumbup:

I truly wish Buck would re-introduce the long pull nail nick. They are not only more functional, but they look better.

Years ago I carried a 307. Years later a Buck made 303. Later still and currently a 305. All of them were and are little a$$ kickers. I've had Case knives of similar shapes but they just weren't the same. The other knives were great, very pretty and sometimes jewel-like but the Bucks are real "using" knives.

Currently I'm talking myself out of a 301 or is it into? :rolleyes:

Well after a little searching I now have a long pull 301 and 303 on the way (as well as a 110 and I am looking to pick up a 112 and a Buck rust cap) which hopefully won't take to long to get here. I have looked for the long pull nail nick simply because I think it looks better, I like FFG and I like old knives. I imagine in the near future I will be looking for a more recent model of the 301 and 303.

Awesome pictures and post thank fellas.

I truly wish Buck would re-introduce the long pull nail nick. They are not only more functional, but they look better.

Yes, please. +100 :)

And add the matchstriker to the long pull. Lol.

I generally carry the 301/371 stockman and 389 canoe, along with a 4 blade scout knife.
Not too big, not too small, non-threatening., and they hold an edge quite well.
I also like how they feel in hand, and the fact I don't have to fight them to open it when the hands are cold and wet.

I generally carry the 301/371 stockman and 389 canoe, along with a 4 blade scout knife.
Not too big, not too small, non-threatening., and they hold an edge quite well.
I also like how they feel in hand, and the fact I don't have to fight them to open it when the hands are cold and wet.

This plus a million or two!

I learned early on that it's not worth having a knife that is hard to open. All the cutting force is up in the direction that will keep a blade open. The only real use for a spring is to keep the thing closed in your pocket. After using European friction folders like the opinel and Sardinian resolza, I gained new appreciation for the knife as a cutting tool. That knife that is hard to open at home or in the store, is sooner or later going to be with you when you're hands are cold or wet, or both. A nail breaker is an accident waiting to happen.

I love it that the Buck U.S.made 300's have an easy pull.

Mine is very simple....my dad gave me a 305 and 303 when I was a little kid. I've since branched out to owning virtually every model slippy Buck makes.....and I truly love 'em all. I really love the 301 and 312 for every day use......however, I've added the 305 back into the mix and love that the little bugger can do everything it's big brothers can do....and it just disappears in the pocket. I've just never found a maker that I love as much as Buck....and the 300 series is a great grouping.

For me, there are knives with fancy handles people like to look at but rarely use. I like Buck's traditional patterns because they're tough, affordable, high quality and they just work!

Bump!

My reason to carry and use a Buck 300 Series knife is because those were the knives of choice in my youth. During the 60's the budget-friendly pocket knife available locally were usually carbon-bladed Schrades, at the bargain price of around $7.50. I remember buying my first Schrade as a teen in the mid 60's using my "allowance" money to use as a fishing knife. Of course, being carbon bladed, and me being a kid who neglected things like oiling my blades, that knife quickly turned into a rusticle. By then Buck was becoming popular due to the popularity of their famous #110's and their use of SS as blade material..... that meant no more rusty knives in my tackle box!! I decided to splurge and buy myself a Buck #313 Muskrat right round 1971 to replace that by then hopelessly rusted Schrade, (still have that rust bucket btw). Of course Buck was relatively middle of the road price-wise, costing in the $10-$15 range, while Case knives were usually over $20. However, being gainfully employed by then at the extravagant rate of $1.45 per hour I could finally afford to get myself a SS pocket knife. I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" at that point, just a knife user who needed a good tool, so the Buck 300 Series became that tool of choice. I still have that #313, and have now collected all of the other models of the series, but my original reason was simply to have a good knife that wouldn't rust.

When I got my Buck 389 at a local wally-world late last fall, I did not know that Buck had non-USA-made knives. I was pretty much a newbie just starting to learn the knife world then. Seeing "China" on the blade was a bit of a surprise. Then when I researched the blade steel, 420J2, I realized I was maybe not at the cadillac-level of Buck knives.:eek:

But as I've had it in my front pocket (and used it) over these several months, I find it is a well-made, solid two-bladed knife, cuts well for my daily use, easy to carry and to hold in hand, and especially it is a "looker." The brown jig bone handle is really eye-catching to me; I've found I really like my Canoe very much. I'll not let it sail away for sure. Here are a couple of photos.

Yep...flat grind also.
The long pull/flat grind 300 Series were made by Camillus for Buck prior to 1986, I don't believe Buck ever made an in-house flat grind, but they have used a couple of different hollow grinds on the series since they took over production. My fave grind on the 300 Series was the one they used from '86 to around 2000, just not a big fan of the newer grind. Must admit that a long nail pull was a nice touch on the older CC-made knives of the series.

I have been looking at 303 blades lately. As far as I can tell Buck's 303 blades from 1985 until 1998 had a high flat grind, that is the flat grind stopped slightly below the blade spine, unlike the Camillus blades that had a flat grind that went all the way to the spine.

Bert

Back