Question for 300 Series pocket knife owners!

I just checked the spreadsheet I got from 300bucks, and the only pages that list grinds refers to pre 1986 #301's, #303's & #309's only, so I may well be incorrect about that previous statement. I have #312, #314 & #329's which all have hollow ground blades, (all Buck-made), so I assumed all of their in-house models did too. Interestingly though, Camillus had a clone of many of the models they made for Buck, including the #317 Trailblazer, but the CC version had hollow ground blades, while the #317 for Buck had flats.......go figure. Still learning, (btw; nice 303!).

This 303 from '88 appears flat ground to me...

Thanks. I have a couple... lol
You can tell the Buck's by the nail nick. The glare gives away the grinds for the most part. Basically, on the right hand column, the 2nd one below the yellow handle is the first hollow grind in the collection. Everything above is flat to the best of my knowledge.

Wow, beautiful display. Yes, you can see the reflection of the hollow grind in the photo. I take it you like the #303's. I concentrated on getting one of each model at first, now that I finally have achieved that I see I have a long way to go on "versions".

I grew up in a small town that had a Case Shear plant so when I carried a knife it was a Case because I could buy them for next to nothing. One thing I never liked about a Case knife was they rusted. In 1971 I started work for an electric utility company and needed a knife. The man I was working with recommended a Buck because of the warranty and because they didn't rust, so I bought a 301 Stockman and used it for a few years but was never happy with it because it was just a little too large for my pocket. Around 1975/1976 I saw a 303 Cadet and bought it. That turned out to be the perfect size for me and I have carried a 303 ever since. In the last couple of years I have purchased a few higher end knives and carried them a day or two but nothing fits my pocket like a 303. That little knife does everything I need a knife to do and for a lot less money.

When I got my Buck 389 at a local wally-world late last fall, I did not know that Buck had non-USA-made knives. I was pretty much a newbie just starting to learn the knife world then. Seeing "China" on the blade was a bit of a surprise. Then when I researched the blade steel, 420J2, I realized I was maybe not at the cadillac-level of Buck knives.:eek:

But as I've had it in my front pocket (and used it) over these several months, I find it is a well-made, solid two-bladed knife, cuts well for my daily use, easy to carry and to hold in hand, and especially it is a "looker." The brown jig bone handle is really eye-catching to me; I've found I really like my Canoe very much. I'll not let it sail away for sure. Here are a couple of photos.

That is a good looking 389.
My two were the wood handled version. I gave one to my nephew/God Son (with his parent's permission, of courde. He was 8 at the time) so he could have one "Just like Uncle Steve's!"

Hey all, I recently picked up an older Buck 305 as well as a Buck 309. I've had a 309 in the past and lost it but really enjoyed the knife while I had it. Got this 305 on a whim as it was in rough shape and only 8 dollars on Ebay. After cleaning it up it's a really nice knife and I think that I may prefer it to the 309. Despite the smaller frame, the blades are almost the same size and for slipping in the pocket the smaller 305 seems to be getting the nod right now. Anyone else prefer the 305 over the 309?
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

I carry 2 knives daily. One is always a SAK of some sort the other is usually a slip joint, which means a Buck 303 (made in 1996), a Case 63087, 6318 or 6375 or a Schrade USA 30OT. I do own 2 Buck 301 of fairly recent manufacture. They are solid well made knives, but I don't like the shape of the main clip blade. It looks like it was designed as an after thought. The 301's made by Schrade & Camillus are much better looking knives.

Also do you prefer the older 305 or the newer. I'm assuming the newer version is heavier with the double springs.
Hey all, I recently picked up an older Buck 305 as well as a Buck 309. I've had a 309 in the past and lost it but really enjoyed the knife while I had it. Got this 305 on a whim as it was in rough shape and only 8 dollars on Ebay. After cleaning it up it's a really nice knife and I think that I may prefer it to the 309. Despite the smaller frame, the blades are almost the same size and for slipping in the pocket the smaller 305 seems to be getting the nod right now. Anyone else prefer the 305 over the 309?
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Back