Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Sal Glesser

This is a sensitive subject, so I would appreciate your patience and understanding.

The hostility that seems to appear on the forum makes it an uncomfortable place to be. This is opposite the intention.

Much of the hostility seems to be centered around the "round hole issue".

After listening to comments, discussion and much thought (which requires time becausae I'm sometimes slow), I have a request.

I am asking you to pull any tag lines or comments that could be percerived as hostile or antagonistic to other companies in the knife industry, while on our forums.

I realize that to many, it is an important issue, and I will admit to being sensitive myself, but a negative approach is not good for the industry or Spyderco in the industry.

Intelligent, civil communication is more valuable.

We have always tried to "leave shiny footprints" where ever we go. I personally have tried to avoid negative comments towards other companies. (No, I'm not perfect either :eek: ) I think it serves to keep thoughts about Spyderco and other companies more positive than negative.

If you would like to be closely associated with Spyderco, which we greatly appreciate, it would be our wish that you consider leaving shiny footprints rather than hostile feelings, whjere Spyderco is concerened.

thanx much for your cooperation and kind understanding.

sal

Thank you Mr. Glesser! Admittedly, I have been following your posts to the "round-hole issue" on this site, as well as other knife related topics, and applaud the amount of emotional intelligence that is reflected in your responses.

Would you consider

I'd rather be robbed by a crackhead in the street than by a lawyer in court.

to be hostile? ;)

Although it is how I feel about the hole situation, I will refrain.

Mr. Glesser,

I must admit that when I first started using BladeForums, I was a little turned off toward Spyderco due to some antagonistic comments that people had in their taglines and rude posts on discussions about other knife companies.

Since acquiring several Spyderco knives (the Manix 83mm is currently my favorite folder) and having viewed this forum more, I have seen that your response to issues has been very civil and reasonable. I don't pretend to know the details of the lines of contention that many users like to drag out, but I applaud your taking the high road in this matter.

Keep up the good work!

Respectfully,

jag-engr

Taking the high road is a lot easier said than done. Nice job Mr. Glesser!

Yesterday I privately talked to Mr. Glesser (via PM) about how I handled myself in the "other thread" and we understand each other better now.

I would like to apologize for even participating in the other thread.

I will sticky this thread.

Also note that anyone posting in this forum with a negative and antagonistic sig line will be hit with a "Signature Rule Violation". No warning will be given and it will be removed if you haven't done so on your own. Sal is in charge of this forum and his wishes should be granted. I will see to it that they are. The last thing any company needs is people stirring the pot for them, a pot they definitely do not want a part of. Sal does not need anyone fighting his battles for him. The issue at hand has been handled in the past and should remain in the past. The "hole' issue has been rehashed numerous times and it is time to step away from it and enjoy the forum without hostility towards anyone....rival company and member alike.

So please enjoy the forum and use it in a respectful manner.

Thanks.

Dear Sal,

You are definitely the class of this industry. I'm proud to have been a Spyder fan and owner since 1983. Bought my first at the Great Western Stock Show. The clip and the hole intrigued me and the beauty of their simplicity and functionality has never worn off.

Thank you Sal,

Chris:) :) :)

Hi.

Thanx for all of the kind comments. They are good for my ego, but in reality, I cannot claim all credit.

Spyderco is made up of a small group of "like-minded-people" developed over many years. They have their own very strong core values. They always try to do the right things for the right reasons, and conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. It is not likely that they would permit improper behavior in product or practice, with or without me.

Many decisions are made each day by this team. I will say that I'm proud to be part of the Spyderco team.

sal

Positive is an American trait like: ;)

Original Pioneer Spirit
Can Do no matter what
Able to see a solution to a problem
management and common sense.

Thanks SAL.

Steve

Very good point. Input from customers should help to make a better product, not to make them feel like they have a crappy product. I bought my first Spydreco about 15 years ago, since then my collection has grown to about 18. Some of them are not perfect. But the thing I like about Spyderco. is that they upgrade models, to make them better. I don`t know anything about the "round hole" issue, but it works fine with me. As kids , growing up, we all learned not to buy knives made in Japan, because they weren`t good knives. Spyderco changed that for me.

Very good point. Input from customers should help to make a better product, not to make them feel like they have a crappy product. I bought my first Spydreco about 15 years ago, since then my collection has grown to about 18. Some of them are not perfect. But the thing I like about Spyderco. is that they upgrade models, to make them better. I don`t know anything about the "round hole" issue, but it works fine with me. As kids , growing up, we all learned not to buy knives made in Japan, because they weren`t good knives. Spyderco changed that for me.

When I was a kid my dad told me most things made out of metal made in Japan was made from melted down American beer cans, you know. Before they went to aluminum. In the 50's and early 60's as a kid I think he was probably right. I know that everyone considered stuff from Japan back then to be cheap and usually junk and pretty much a joke. They started to get their act together through the late 60's and 70's and haven't stopped. No one is laughing now. Japan makes excellant steel and electronics and automobiles. I have many spyderco knifes including my EDC and the ones I use for personal use on the Fire Department and no one, certainly not me, considers them a joke.

KR

I'm new to the forum, and this is undoubtedly the best of the best, handled in a gentleman's manner! Objectivity is what it's all about, take it from an old man who's been there....done that for more years than many of you have lived! I live in "redneck" country, and am sick of selfish, mindless people picking on others for their own ego boost. You've got my vote Sal....as my customers say, "Spyderco rocks".

+1,000,000 to that!
Class, great products and great customer service will always keep a loyal patronage.
Thanks Sal and gang ~ ; - )

Back