Questions for the maker

I would Like to open this thread up and a message board to answer questions. I hope this will become knowledge database about the product I offer, and help members get to know me as a maker. I will answer your questions in the best way I can . I dont claim to know everything, and I am always learning. I would also like to encourage forum members to answer questions if they feel the desire to do so. Who wants to start it off?

Last edited:
Chris,
When drafting a new design, are your ideas drawn from a functional idea built around a specific purpose or perhaps purely artistic design?

Also, as you drift into woking with other steels such as W2, will you continue to offer the stainless options as well?

Thanks,
Sergio

How do you decide what handle combos to use on a knife? Random? Go into it with an idea?

If I purchased one of your knives that did not have a lanyard hole, would it be possible for me to send it in to you to have a lanyard hole added? I would be happy to pay for that type of modification.

If I purchased one of your knives that did not have a lanyard hole, would it be possible for me to send it in to you to have a lanyard hole added? I would be happy to pay for that type of modification.

I'm just taking a guess at this, but they drill the pins and lanyard holes before heat treating. It may be quite difficult to drill through the heat treated tang now. Not sure though.

I'm just taking a guess at this, but they drill the pins and lanyard holes before heat treating. It may be quite difficult to drill through the heat treated tang now. Not sure though.

Yes, Odaon is correct there would be an issue drilling through a hardened tang. There is also the issue of possibly damaginf the handle material. I have thought about making an EDU with a lanyard hole tube. There has been several people mention their wish for this feature. I will give it some serious consideration.
Thanks for the question

How do you decide what handle combos to use on a knife? Random? Go into it with an idea?
Sometimes I make a handle First then put it on a knife other times I make a Handle specifically for a Knife. As far as my thought process into design and selection. I would say I definitely don't randomly pick, Every part of my process is deliberate. I like to produce my knives in small batches, so I can take the time to individually place or build a handle for that particular knife based of the characteristics I see, intended use, or desired look. I have noticed that my mood can also have an effect on the process as well.

I do pay attention to customer demand, so some handles I make again because there is a lot of interest in that combination or material. I try and do an even mis of what I know is currently sought and continuing to express my creative side by building handles according to how I see the materials flowing together at that time.

I hope that answered you question and I don't mind diving deeper into the subject if you wish.
Thank you for the Excellent Question.

Chris,
When drafting a new design, are your ideas drawn from a functional idea built around a specific purpose or perhaps purely artistic design?

Also, as you drift into woking with other steels such as W2, will you continue to offer the stainless options as well?

Thanks,
Sergio
Sergio,

Great Question, I would say all of the above. Sometimes a design may lean more towards the functional side and less artistic side and vise versa. I think there has to be a balance inline with the intended purpose. I try to make all my designs visually appealing, no one wants an ugly knife, but that is purely subjective.
I would say that my experiences in life influence my designs. From growing up on a small farm and playing in the woods. I used an assortment of edged tools on a daily basis. My military service directly and indirectly influences my work. Being in the military allowed me the opportunity to handle and use a wide variety of tools in a wide variety of environments.

All that being said, I have a very wide variety of taste in Edged Tools. I like Axes, swords, big knives ,small knives, folders, fixed blades, Etc.. I don't intend on boxing myself in making anyone style of knife. I will continue to make what I currently make as long as customers buy it, I intend on making a wide vierity of style knives in style and construction.

I will continue to offer Stainless Steel. I also plan to experiment with many more alloys as well.

There was a quote I read the other day that pertains to your question and I think it answers your question as well as describes my design philosophy

"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change, form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies, in a twinkling.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law."

Louis Sullivan

Hey Chris,

Regarding what would be Andy's Spalting, do you have names for the different patterns/designs on your knives and can you share how they're accomplished. e.g. The hammered pattern vs the vertical striped pattern show below.

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited:
There's also his 'dimpled' pattern as seen on my Warthog here. I imagine they're all just different hammers or changing how the hammer strikes the blank. Names would be cool!

zb8A1rTl.jpg

I seem to remember seeing a Kiridashi with a couple different patterns as well.

Edit: the Dashi is in his line up thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my questions and including this quote. It's a nice little read with great meaning.

Sergio,

There was a quote I read the other day that pertains to your question and I think it answers your question as well as describes my design philosophy

"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change, form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies, in a twinkling.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law."

Louis Sullivan

Hey Chris,

Regarding what would be Andy's Spalting, do you have names for the different patterns/designs on your knives and can you share how they're accomplished. e.g. The hammered pattern vs the vertical striped pattern show below.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,

I don't have names for them. They are all accomplished using various hammers the look can vary depending on my strike pattern, angle and, texture of the hammer imparting on the steel. I intend on developing more textures. But at the moment I only use 3, the 2 pictured here and another you pictured on a warthog.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the textures Chris! Excited to see what else you create.

Chris, are your blades given any sort of cryo treatment?

David,

Not at the moment I don't. I have looked at getting a Cryo Set up. I could do a hand full of Blades with Dry Ice and Acetone. If I was to ever start doing it on a large scale to all my CPM blades I would want a liquid Nitrogen setup.

Chris, where does the "Tool" come from in Osprey Knife & Tool? I don't know that I recall seeing you make anything but knives.

Chris, where does the "Tool" come from in Osprey Knife & Tool? I don't know that I recall seeing you make anything but knives.

I am glad you asked that question. You are correct, I have only made knives as of yet.
When I was deciding on a name for my company, I knew I wanted to make more than just knives. I didnt want my name to just convey exclusively knives. I want to eventually make axes, machetes, straight razors, kitchen knives, swords, gadgets, etc... You can see were I am going with this.
I guess you could say when I chose the name I had plans for far down the road to grow into the name as my skill grows to produce knives and tools, whatever those tools may be.

Last edited:
David,

Not at the moment I don't. I have looked at getting a Cryo Set up. I could do a hand full of Blades with Dry Ice and Acetone. If I was to ever start doing it on a large scale to all my CPM blades I would want a liquid Nitrogen setup.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I don't have any experience with cryo treatments myself, but I've read some favorable reviews recently. Sounds like cryo treatments go a long ways towards helping with edge retention. Might go well with your knives given the hard use ethic that goes into their design.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I don't have any experience with cryo treatments myself, but I've read some favorable reviews recently. Sounds like cryo treatments go a long ways towards helping with edge retention. Might go well with your knives given the hard use ethic that goes into their design.

Your welcome David
I have always wanted to get a Cryo setup. The Liquid Nitrogen is relativley inexpensive. The canister to store it in is what is a good chunk of change. As a relativley new knive maker this would be a huge investment. Now that I am more established it is on the radar for the future.

Your welcome David
I have always wanted to get a Cryo setup. The Liquid Nitrogen is relativley inexpensive. The canister to store it in is what is a good chunk of change. As a relativley new knive maker this would be a huge investment. Now that I am more established it is on the radar for the future.

Sounds good! Thanks again.

Back