Questions for the maker

Hey Chris,

I myself dislike those "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" questions but do you foresee your business staying a 1-person show in the longer term?

~ Jerry

edit: Feel free to reply "no comment" :)

Jerry,

I had to think about this one for a few. Honestly I have not put much thought into it. 4 1/2 years ago when I made my first knife I hoped but never imagined I would be where I am today.

I will try and answer your question the best I can at this moment. Fo the forseeable future I plan to stay a one man show. I enjoy having my hands in every part of the process and dont see that changing. I can see maybe in the distant future incorperating a helper or assistant to assist in areas other than the direct making of the knife.

I am trying not to focus to much on how exactly I want to have my business run in 5 years because there are so many variables that could change and I like to remain as adaptable and flexible as possible. At this current moment I am focused on growing in my craft and learning new techniques and skills, on the other hand I am also focus equally on expanding my line-up, branding, and marketing. I hope that I will continue to make knives and tools until I get too old to do so. I would be happy if I was able to keep doing as I am right now for the rest of my working days. But if the opportunity to expand and grow beyond my production cabablities ever did arise, I would like to keep my company a Veteran owned and operated company.

I hope this answers your question, and if you would like me to elaborate more on a certain area I would be happy too.

Jerry,

I had to think about this one for a few. Honestly I have not put much thought into it. 4 1/2 years ago when I made my first knife I hoped but never imagined I would be where I am today.

I will try and answer your question the best I can at this moment. Fo the forseeable future I plan to stay a one man show. I enjoy having my hands in every part of the process and dont see that changing. I can see maybe in the distant future incorperating a helper or assistant to assist in areas other than the direct making of the knife.

I am trying not to focus to much on how exactly I want to have my business run in 5 years because there are so many variables that could change and I like to remain as adaptable and flexible as possible. At this current moment I am focused on growing in my craft and learning new techniques and skills, on the other hand I am also focus equally on expanding my line-up, branding, and marketing. I hope that I will continue to make knives and tools until I get too old to do so. I would be happy if I was able to keep doing as I am right now for the rest of my working days. But if the opportunity to expand and grow beyond my production cabablities ever did arise, I would like to keep my company a Veteran owned and operated company.

I hope this answers your question, and if you would like me to elaborate more on a certain area I would be happy too.

Awesome answer Chris! I look forward to seeing your business grow! :thumbup:

Jerry,

This was a great answer and thanks for sharing. Rather than ask a knife or technique question, I thought a "get to know the person" would be a fun question for the maker - and it was. I hope you have continued success since there's nothing better than doing what you enjoy, and getting paid for it.

I'll just speculate a bit here. First that was a well wrought answer. Especially coming from someone who's only been making knives for, well less than 5 years even. Obviously you're well on your way to the "next step" of your work. I'd wager that within 10 years some young guy with a passion for forged steel blades shows up on your doorstep. That's when you pass along that which has been given to you. That's my best guess for your next 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll just speculate a bit here. First that was a well wrought answer. Especially coming from someone who's only been making knives for, well less than 5 years even. Obviously you're well on your way to the "next step" of your work. I'd wager that within 10 years some young guy with a passion for forged steel blades shows up on your doorstep. That's when you pass along that which has been given to you. That's my best guess for your next 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Douglas,
That would be entirely within the realm of possibilities, and I am excited to see what the future brings!

This was a great answer and thanks for sharing. Rather than ask a knife or technique question, I thought a "get to know the person" would be a fun question for the maker - and it was. I hope you have continued success since there's nothing better than doing what you enjoy, and getting paid for it.

Thank you Jerry, I thought it was a great question! I agree there is nothing better than doing what you love for a living. I feel truly blessed!

Hey Chris,

Do we have a thread for sheaths, where to find them, to share general every day pics of knives/sheaths or what sheath maker/model works for specific knives? If not, could one be added maybe?

I think USPS is trying to make up for slow shipping last week because the box you sent out Saturday got to Victoria TX this morning already! Now I'm wondering what ISP sheath and what belt sheath might work for the EDU. Primarily, I'm interested in belt carry.

By the way, all 3 knives are amazing! The only problem with the Apache is that I don't have my Apache-dedicated sheath at the moment so that I can carry it. (oh yeah, that's my problem) That means carry/use will start off with the Mamushi. Haven't put any to use just yet but I'm liking the guardless aspect and am thinking it will work better for my particular uses/needs. Thanks for turning our feedback into reality.

Thanks,
Jerrry

Hey Chris,

Do we have a thread for sheaths, where to find them, to share general every day pics of knives/sheaths or what sheath maker/model works for specific knives? If not, could one be added maybe?

I think USPS is trying to make up for slow shipping last week because the box you sent out Saturday got to Victoria TX this morning already! Now I'm wondering what ISP sheath and what belt sheath might work for the EDU. Primarily, I'm interested in belt carry.

By the way, all 3 knives are amazing! The only problem with the Apache is that I don't have my Apache-dedicated sheath at the moment so that I can carry it. (oh yeah, that's my problem) That means carry/use will start off with the Mamushi. Haven't put any to use just yet but I'm liking the guardless aspect and am thinking it will work better for my particular uses/needs. Thanks for turning our feedback into reality.

Thanks,
Jerry

Thank you for your compliments on the 3 knives Jerry! You had quite the delivery, I am stoked you got your knives so fast!

No I don't have one of those up yet, it probably about time I get one posted up soon!

I look forward to seeing photos and hearing your thoughts once you get more acquainted with these!

Chris, wanted to know how you decide how thin to taper a tang? My guess is that you are looking for overall balance, but I was curious about your process in deciding, designing, grinding,etc. Thanks!

This might be sacrilegious, but I was checkin gout photos of K variant versions of your knives and that got me thinking:

Any chance you might do variants without the traditional finger notch? A Warthog or Mamushi with a continuous, smooth handle would be super utilitarian.

Hah, I'm just being annoying. But, I think we have similar tastes in knife handles - though my preferences are all over the place as a whole.

Nahh, you're good!! We do have similar taste I could see myself owning a lot of your collection, I have a very eclectic taste as well!

This might be sacrilegious, but I was checking out photos of K variant versions of your knives and that got me thinking:

Any chance you might do variants without the traditional finger notch? A Warthog or Mamushi with a continuous, smooth handle would be super utilitarian.

David I am always open to hearing your guys suggestions and feedback.
I have been toying with the idea in my head, I have quite a few new profiles I have designed recently that I would like to get off of paper and onto steel so it might be a little bit on that, unless somehow the bug to do it just jumps up and bites me in the ass.:D
Chris, wanted to know how you decide how thin to taper a tang? My guess is that you are looking for overall balance, but I was curious about your process in deciding, designing, grinding,etc. Thanks!

It really depends on the thickness of the steel and the length of the handle. I have a formula that I go by when I am laying everything out that gives me a thickness to aim for, I don't purposely get them super thin all the time but in order to make the tapers even on both sides it ends up that way especially with thinner stock. Since I free hand taper everything the tapers can vary from blade to blade. But that's what keeps it interesting, Most of you guys aren't into cookie cutter knives and appreciate the variation that gives each knife it individual characteristics.

Hey Chris,

Just checking in but how's your progress coming along for S35VN blades?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hey Chris,

Just checking in but how's your progress coming along for S35VN blades?

Thanks,
Jerry

I still haven't done anything with the S35vn and the 3V, I am planning on giving one of them a shot here soon along side my next batch of CPM154.
I am getting really close though, I am hoping to offer all 3 steels at Blade Show this year we will see how it pans out.

Chris, do you do convex primary grinds or flat grinds? I was curious for my warthog, this one:

Osprey Knife & Tool Sales Thread 02/21/17
Warthog (Guardless Variant)-
3/32" (.103") CPM154 Tapered Tang

Thanks!

Chris, do you do convex primary grinds or flat grinds? I was curious for my warthog, this one:

Osprey Knife & Tool Sales Thread 02/21/17
Warthog (Guardless Variant)-
3/32" (.103") CPM154 Tapered Tang

Thanks!

As of right now all of the primary bevels on my knives are flat, the secondary micro bevel is convex.

Hey, Chris.
Do you have any idea when we might be seeing some full-on OK/T kitchen knives?
I remember seeing a drawing or two of a new design(s) a while ago. Have you gone anywhere else with that?

Back