Recommendation? Questions from a Future Owner

m.and

Gold Member
Hello all,

I have dreamed about owning a Randall Made knife since I was about 12 years old. For one reason or another I never ended up purchasing one. My interest was recently reignited while at a knife show with my 9 year old daughter. So I have decided to fill out the form, send in my deposit and wait 5+ years for my first Randall. But first I have a few questions for you Randall collectors and users.

To begin with, this knife will be used, not part of a collection. Usage will include camping, hiking and general EDC tasks; no hunting or (hopefully) survival or self-defense duties. That being said I have settled on the Model 5 Camp & Trail. I have decided to go with a fairly classic standard configuration of brass single hilt, stacked leather handle, aluminum butt cap and thong hole.

The first question I have is in regards to the hilt. I really like the look of the squared-off single hilt. Is it standard on this model or do I need to specify?

My other two questions are more options that I am debating, the first being blade length. Right now I am torn between 5" and 6". I am leaning towards 5" right now but would love to hear suggestions from owners of this model who use the knife in ways similar to what I'm intending.

My other debate is over carbon or stainless. Again, thoughts and opinions based on practical applications would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Matthew

Model 5 is an excellent choice. Blade length your choice. I prefer stainless, only because it is less likely to discolor. Consider a nickel-silver hilt--I find this discolors far more slowly than brass. You won't be disappointed with whatever you choose. Good luck!

Congrats and you will love it. I have a Model 5-5 ordered, I ordered carbon steel(I like the discoloring) with several other options from a stocking dealer and should have it in another month or so. For me waiting five years wasn't an option. It will be the same price, I just get to enjoy it sooner. I have the 25-5 and think the 5" blade to be just about right for all around use. Preston

I had a model 5-5 which I gave to my son. I liked the 5 inch blade as I found it to balance well and it handled anything I needed it to, including hunting and camp chores. I'm glad I gave it to my son and he has enjoyed using it as much as I did.
I prefer the carbon blade, it sharpened easily and held the edge well and felt more traditional to me. The hilt is standard.

I have settled on the Model 5 Camp & Trail. I have decided to go with a fairly classic standard configuration of brass single hilt, stacked leather handle, aluminum butt cap and thong hole. I really like the look of the squared-off single hilt.
Matthew, only order this configuration if you want a classically styled Randall that will stand the test of time and that you will be proud to own the rest of your life. :p :)

...squared-off single hilt...Is it standard on this model or do I need to specify?
You will need to specify.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I have decided on the following:

5" carbon blade
squared brass hilt
red, white & blue spacers
standard leather handle
duralumin butt cap
thong hole

I may also end up ordering through a dealer as I don't know if I can wait 5+ years now that I've made up my mind. :p

I have decided on the following:

5" carbon blade
squared brass hilt
standard leather handle
duralumin butt cap
thong hole

Only cool people order this exact configuration. :D

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I have decided on the following:

5" carbon blade
squared brass hilt
standard leather handle
duralumin butt cap
thong hole

I may also end up ordering through a dealer as I don't know if I can wait 5+ years now that I've made up my mind. :p

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the authorized dealers that Randall uses before waiting that god awful five plus years. Waiting that long would drive me insane.

Edit: I wanted a Model 14 ever since I was a little boy. Found one fresh from the Randall shop at an authorized dealer for catalog price. Got it in three days. Do a little searching before you order from the shop. :thumbsup:

As Scotty posted, there's no need to order direct from Randall.

Matthew the Model 5-5 is a classic configuration, as is the 5-6 as Brad Angier carried. Authorized dealers can usually get the exact configuration you want in about seven months. I have a 5-4 coming in June, seven months from my initial custom order, at catalog price. PM me if you need names...

Back