Randall knives--I just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused:

Let me get this straight: I can get on a five year waiting list to pay $400 for a cataloged production knife with limited customization options? And it's made from 440B steel? Wow! Where do I sign?

I understand Randall has a historical significance, but other than that I just don't get it. Are Randall's fitted with the kind of precision that people say makes paying for a Sebeznza worthwhile? Or do they have a special process that turns 440B into some sort of super steel?

Other than the cachet of owning one, what's the big deal about Randall? It's a serious question---I'm not trolling.

If you don't 'get it', you probably never will. I don't own one, but I understand the allure. They are an American classic, like apple pie or a '57 Chevy. They are still made by hand (last I heard), and they don't just use 440B. One went to the moon.

You got that right...in the olden days of the good Ole boys 440b was awesome...He also uses a lot of better performing tool steels today and they havn't changed their ways into the new "super" steel because they really make good knives there way and they have been proven in combat...you are also paying more for the labor and how they heat treat the steel themselves. So it's a good knife...but for the price you can get something more modern...I am not sure if it will perform much better though. It's more of a collector/grail thing at this point IMHO. There is a lot of work that does go into them though look at this link as proof...
http://www.randallknives.com/construction.php

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but my quest for a Randall got me hooked on custom knives. Posted about them on here, got an email from Scott Gossman, and have been hooked ever since.

I have an old Gent magazine, with an article about Randall knives. They are very well known outside the general knife nut populace, very popular, have a lot of history. At most gun shows I've been to, Randalls are prevalent. Very overpriced, but still prevalent.

Who else makes Randall style knives other than Bark river and Blackjack?
I know of the Sogs and cold steels, but... bleh

If you don't 'get it', you probably never will. I don't own one, but I understand the allure. They are an American classic, like apple pie or a '57 Chevy. They are still made by hand (last I heard), and they don't just use 440B. One went to the moon.

This.

Also many of the models just feel "right" when you handle and use them.

If you are paying actual catalog prices or small premiums, they aren't badly priced for what you get. They are close or surpass many other makers in fit, finish, etc... at that price point.

One other thing is return on investment, even a used current Randall will bring much more on resale, than 90% of other knives. Not a big thing, but another point of popularity.

You don't have to get it. But, lots of people do(not me, BTW). The thing about Randall knives is this; you will NEVER get stuck with one. Somebody will ALWAYS buy it from you, if you didn't like or want it. Are they perfectly finished? No. Are they made from today's high tech super steels? No.(although one can argue that O1 is pretty damn good, IMO). They do have lots of nice, cool designs, with history attached to them, so they will always do well.

The historical significance includes these knives seeing a lot of war theaters as well.

Also, not technically not considered a custom.

A long tradition, collectibility, resale, and a high level of standards aside, a guy to do as well or better elsewhere for the money, imo.
But it still won't be a Randall... :)

So I actually think this is a great question and would love to hear thoughts on it. I put my deposit in on a Randall 2 years ago right when I was getting into knives. Now after buying a few Busse's, ESEE's, Blackjacks (which I really love) I'm questioning my desire to drop the rest of the money for a Randall.

I've got one Randall and expect the other in one year. It is a nostalgia thing as you get older you become more nostalgic. Why do I own an M1 carbine, Garand, 1903, Krag etc..... because of history, nostalgia.

Why did the retro Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challenger make a comeback and why do the old muscle cars sell for so much?

Nostalgia that's why. Are the old guns or old cars worth the money they fetch? They certainly are not any better no matter how much we want them to be but people like me will argue that they are.

Hell, ice cream, movies, and a summer breezes all taste, look and felt better than they do now and I would pay more for and ice cream from an old 50's diner than I would from Ben and Jerry's.

It is all perception and that is why the one knife I would never get rid of no matter the price is my old Buck 110 that I found and my Grandfather helped me repair all those years ago. The blade is so worn down it has a re-curve (I like that), it wobbles and the brass is green.

There is a reason why Randall's wait time is 5 years, all together now, NOSTALGIA. :D Go ahead and get in line you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Every collection deserves at least one Randall. I might have more than one if the actual maker's name was on the blade. The quality is better than most and the catalogue has a pattern for every purpose, 99% of users need not look further, but the lack of maker's name on the blade is a deal-breaker for me.

Handmade in America, by Americans. That $400 looks pretty cheap now doesn't it ;)

I have a few Randalls. One was given to me by my grandfather. Its a nastalgia thing for sure but they are quality well made knives. I really like mine and wouldnt mind a few more.

I will also add i have many EK knives, some made in Miami and though they arent anything special to look at one I know was used and again its nostalgia. I own several EK's from Richmon and Effingham because I like the style and the history behind the company. History and nostalgia come with time and achievement something that not a whole lot of knife companys have yet (not nocking newer brands I love the new stuff coming out and own mostly new stuff...just making a point)

Randall Made Knives are expensive for what you get,

...but they do maintain their value better then most knives.

Personally, :rolleyes: I'll take the full convex US made Blackjacks at less then half the price,

...and no waiting (or paying extra). :eek:

Big Mike

Randall Made Knives are expensive for what you get,

...but they do maintain their value better then most knives.

I disagree and think it is unfair for anyone to try and compare a long standing american forge that maintains a handmade production, to companies that use majority machine production techniques.

That is simply not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be very hard to find. Mass produced quality hand made knives, at a price that defies their origin. Who else does that, name one? How comparable is the Randall knife to another production knife?

Last edited:
I disagree and think it is unfair for anyone to try and compare a long standing american forge that maintains a handmade production, to companies that use majority machine production techniques.

That is simply not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be very hard to find. Mass produced quality hand made knives, at a price that defies their origin. Who else does that, name one? How comparable is the Randall knife to another production knife?

:confused: So you disagree that they are expensive? :confused:

:confused: Or, ...is it you desagree about them holding their value? :confused:

I do like their knives, but it's hard for me to justfy using such expensive knives in the field. :grumpy:

My American made Dozier's, Bark River's, and Customs do the job for me at a price I can justify.

If I was loaded I would be happy to use these fine handmade products,

...the testing I've done has proved the Randall's to be very tough tools. :thumbup:

Big Mike

Last edited:
Actually, I'm kinda happy more people don't "get it." A five-year wait is long enough.:D

They look pretty nice, but i have no interest in buying one:). Id rather have a couple barkies or a nice seb.

I've had a couple of Randalls over the years. I bought a brand new 14 off a randall dealer in 1990 for 250.00. Today it would cost 700.00 from a dealer. So yes they do hold their value and actually will make you some money if you can hold onto them long enough. I also had an 18 with sawteeth unfortunately sold both years ago. Although i did'nt lose any money on them. They really are well made knives and i shoud really have one in my collection. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back