Random Photo Thread!

Cool pics Kevin! I never knew you were in Cambodia, I tend to stay away from that part of town though. You got any pics of the fishing boats you were on in Alaska?

-Xander

This is just north of me near Silverton, CO. We are in an old mining district.

SilvertonGladstoneareanorth049_zps3cfe38d4.jpg

SilvertonGladstoneareanorth065_zpsd411166b.jpg

SilvertonGladstoneareanorth068_zps3340e926.jpg

This is just south of me near Farmington, NM.

FarmingtonPetrifiedWood024_zps8a7022c7.jpg

Looking towards the La Platas... the range near me.

farmingtonbadlandspics013_zps27e268b0.jpg

When I'm not turning a wrench at work, working on a knife, or hanging with the fam. This is my other hobby. :0)
DDCAEF02-1965-4EEC-BC87-9E4EEDFFEDD5-2664-0000029CD28388C7_zps58b8c65a.jpg
[/IMG]

someone took this photo of my hands then sent it to me after a show.
9AF9BDC5-ABF6-4DF7-AD98-ED7B50C00BD1-2664-0000029CE5D0C41C_zps5c3c66b5.jpg
[/IMG]
Concert on the canal in indianapolis. It was supposed to be outside but was moved in due to weather. Best stage sound we've ever had.

Btw, that's me on the far right at the keys.

Bako, those are awesome! I really like the live aspect of your shots, feels like I'm there! Carne Asada please...

John, very cool! Both are great shots! My wife played the keys in a band we had, fun stuff!

Bottom of the main water feature at Ft. Worth's Water Gardens. Appeared in the Sci Fi classic, Logan's Run.

1359999230_zps62c4df56.jpg

Candy Bowl

1348760859.jpg

Another kind of Candy. Rock Candy? Ha!

1363289628_zps43c9a30d.jpg

Last edited:
Daniel, what musical instrument do you play?

Bako, mainly blues, rock. R&B. but over the years I've played many different styles.

:D

I had some al pastor, and some 'enchilada'.

Johnbeck, what kind of music are you making there?

Nice! I have had al pastor a bunch but looked up the recipe yesterday.. pineapple chili marinade!

Bottom of the main water feature at Ft. Worth's Water Gardens. Appeared in the Sci Fi classic, Logan's Run.

Way cool! I think I have been there long ago. Nice pic!

The Atwood tools are just the best! Count Sporkula! I love mine...

Daniel, what musical instrument do you play?

Bako, mainly blues, rock. R&B. but over the years I've played many different styles.

I play guitar and drums for the most part but can play bass and keys a bit too. I'm not much of a keyboard player but it is fun! I used to program music too, sequenced synths and drums.

This is the first time in my life I haven't been in some sort of band. I have played the drums in a few bands but was the guitarist/songwriter in my own... fun stuff!

Keep up the great pics guys! I'm getting my camera in less than a week and I'm excited!

Nice WTs, ksm0037! Although, I do think DF's carbidizing looks cooler. And where on earth did you get all those Sporkulas? One thing I really like about WT knives is sort of like something I picked up riding track bikes- the kids like to color-key their bikes with matching rims, ano parts etc. Mine has a black frame with orange rims, and accents like grips and toeclip straps. I saw one of DF's TiBOKs that had blue rivets, and it occurred to me to color match rivets like WT does with his chainring bolts.

Gotta love Atwood's willingness to experiment with anodizing. I remember when pastry Chefs first figured out you could spray stuff like tempered couverture chocolate through a Wagner power painter- the race was on to come up with unique stencils from ordinary objects. Guys were cutting the bottoms out of orange plastic milk crates to do the tops of tortes with, using powders and sprays- actually going out in the alley and stealing them!

A guy I worked with from Seville caught an unholy (nyuk nyuk nyuk!) raft of crap when a guest saw the stenciling on the side of some Charlotte that had a layer of sponge cake on the outside. The cake layer was made by wiping chocolate 'genoise' through a stencil onto a silicone baking sheet, which was then lifted. A layer of plain genoise (sponge cake, essentially) was smoothed over the top, and it was baked. Baked sheets were cut into strips, which lined metal rings, which were then filled with various mousses etc. Turns out, good old Jose had been using a piece of metal he bought at an antique sale, which turned out to be the metal screen from a confessional booth! The guest was all huffy about sacrilege (Mmmm...Sacrilicious!) and respect, even after it was explained to him that the Chef had bought the piece of old metal, not having the slightest clue as to what it was, just because he thought it'd look nice on someone's dessert. I guess he was the only non-Catholic in Spain!

Last edited:
Those Warren Thomas folders are just the coolest! I'm a big fan. The blade shape on the middle two is a personal favorite, very handy.

Atwoods ano work is just killer too and the tools feel very good in the hand, something that is hard to show in pics.

I like the bike! Back in the 80's I stripped my chrome Huffy down and had neon green components, it was the coolest. I'd like to get a bike going again, I can use it on the ski hill in the summers!

I want to try some glow orange powdercoat, painting gear is not really my style but glow orange! I have some glow green I want to use on a keychain tool or something small, it is the dip stuff for fishing lures.

That is funny with the pastry! I could just see it!

I was a pastry chef for a while, man it was hard work. Funny enough I would compare it to making knives. I would go through 100# of flour the first half of the day and make a million deserts later in the day. The guy I trained with was Oprah's chef for a long time and really knew his stuff... I had to beg to work in the bakery for a few years to get the job. (temporary while the real baker was pregnant) It was a blast and I learned a lot.

I was a pastry chef for a while, man it was hard work. Funny enough I would compare it to making knives. I would go through 100# of flour the first half of the day and make a million deserts later in the day. The guy I trained with was Oprah's chef for a long time and really knew his stuff... I had to beg to work in the bakery for a few years to get the job. (temporary while the real baker was pregnant) It was a blast and I learned a lot.

Dude, someday you gotta write a book.

La Plata Canyon, right outside of Durango, CO

I have spent a couple of summers prospecting and collecting on different claims in this canyon, there are a lot of deep earth minerals and metals like Platinum.

I'm right outside of a mine known for it's Tellerium Gold and Coloradoite... rare material! My old friend owns the mine and we were getting ready to walk through it.

BessieGMineeLaPlataCanyon096_zps28f175e8.jpg

reBessieGMineeLaPlataCanyon061_zps5f7203c3.jpg

Here are some stones I cut a while back... some are really early work.

The purple two on the bottom left are Royalite, an ore/gangue material from a nearby mine in La Plata Canyon. The Royalite contains trace amounts of Platinum on the Chalcopyrite.
Besides the lapis and gaspeite I either collected or traded stones I collected for these. (for the rough material)

Top left blue stones- Lapis
Black/earth tones with tree scenes - Picasso Stone from Utah, I love this stuff
top right - turquoise! All from the SW United States.
Pink stones - the banded pink is rhodochrosite and the solid pink is local Rhodonite (pyroxmangite) I used to mine tons of the Rhodonite, it is local to me.
right bottom, red and out of focus! local red jasper
Yellow - Arizona Serpentine my friend mined, I traded it for rhodonite I collected
Green - Australian Gaspeite; ultra rare and no longer found, this stuff is really bright!
There is a big green calibrated malachite cab and some silicated green malachite/chrysaccolla/azurite. The silicated stuff is great solid material and usually mined for it's copper content. There is a big green stone of that material too...
The white stones are Howlite, it is sometimes called white turquoise.

3b26a081-c728-4f92-9f2c-c782c343330e_zpse128075e.jpg

Last edited:
Those stones are cool!
I've thought about polishing some in the past. I live in the flat farm lands of indiana so there's not much of a variety of rocks. Down in southern indiana my uncle owns a cabin, we go there and camp and ride 4-wheelers. The only real rock down there is quartz. I can get them by the 5 gallon bucket full, all about the size of a baseball. But the only thing to can do with them is cut em in half and see what ya get.

3905095909_329484050e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
3905883618_d388db57a2_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
3905114449_94b065971a_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
A pow wow near my house back in 09.

Cool stuff Daniel!

New toy! '73 Yashica Electro 35 GSN range finder camera, $20 at the flea market yesterday. I've got it all cleaned up and working like a champ now! This pic is "barn fresh" and also a good illustration of why you should put a filter on your lens, the actual optics of this camera are near flawless, but all the crap you see is only on the filter, its got a good chip in it too.

2013-03-16122051_zps609b6c20.jpg

Here it is all cleaned up and working great.

2013-03-17085227_zpsb3fc8b6d.jpg

I thought that a digital picture of an analog camera is pretty random.

Cool shots Kevin, I think I'm gonna take Zyler to the Pow Wow at UOP this year. Maybe the one at Webster as well. The local Yokut tribe is really cool, and I think some of the Tuolomne band of Miwuk come to that one as well. I'm Blackfoot myself, so hopefully they dont hate on me too much!

-Xander

Back