Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

So - is it safe to say that the best combination for a max edge retention steel is to have both vanadium and tungsten (not just vanadium as in the SXXXV or 10V/15V type of steels)? If the edge is reground to 0.005-0.006 - would that bump the cuts with another 20-30%?

So - is it safe to say that the best combination for a max edge retention steel is to have both vanadium and tungsten (not just vanadium as in the SXXXV or 10V/15V type of steels)? If the edge is reground to 0.005-0.006 - would that bump the cuts with another 20-30%?

No it wouldn't.

It would likely do worse. ;)

Spyderco has it as thin as it can really be from what I saw in testing.

I would not recommend getting these things reground thinner.

Mine was .015" behind the edge out of the box and .018" after reprofiling to 15 DPS.

Last edited:
Bought the Mule Team 24.

This was perfect timing. I've been ogling S110V blades for a year, getting closer & closer to pulling the trigger, but something held me back. I had decided I would do it this month, then BAM!

Thank you for your monumental effort that has resulted in this incredible reference work!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Can you give us your impression of what it was like to re-profile the edge to 15 degrees?

Can you give us your impression of what it was like to re-profile the edge to 15 degrees?

Wasn't too bad for me, it was around 18 DPS out of the box.

320 Grit Silicon Carbide Mold Master and about 5 mins on the Edge Pro.

But then that stone will eat anything pretty fast. ;)

Added Spyderco Military in CPM S110V. :thumbup:

Nice! That's the factory edge without any modifications!?

S110V - 1080 - Spyderco Military - ? - .020" Behind the edge

Big difference between Military S110V and Manix2 S110V:

S110V - 720 - Manix 2 - 62 RC

Are you going to re-profile the Military like you did the Manix2?

S110V - 1120 - Manix 2 - 62 RC - Regrind to .005" behind the edge.

Nice! That's the factory edge without any modifications!?

S110V - 1080 - Spyderco Military - ? - .020" Behind the edge

Big difference between Military S110V and Manix2 S110V:

Are you going to re-profile the Military like you did the Manix2?

S110V - 1120 - Manix 2 - 62 RC - Regrind to .005" behind the edge.

Factory was 18 DPS, I reprofiled to 15 DPS like all others.

No, I have no plans to get this one reground. :)

Will be my primary EDC. :D

Looks like Spyderco has been tweaking S110V, that Manix 2 LW was one of the 1st run over 2 years ago.
Wow I didn't realise Spyderco would be still tweaking the steel. Is that confirmation this is the case, or could there be another variable like blade shape as a factor.

Thanks for the work, busy week eh.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Wow I didn't realise Spyderco would be still tweaking the steel. Is that confirmation this is the case, or could there be another variable like blade shape as a factor.

Thanks for the work, busy week eh.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Stock Manix 2 was thicker, was .030" behind the edge vs .020" for the Military so that would have some effect also.

Noticed I didn't add the behind the edge thickness for the stock Manix 2, just added it.

Geez... we need to get Jim a bionic arm or something!

This thing is the closest to WC-Co you can get in steel...

I am very glad it performed well at 15-dps in the full review as well :thumbup: The 0.018" BET makes it suitable for a lot of other utility-purposes, but I can imagine that it was annoying for Jim pushing an edge that much thicker through all the cardboard :eek: I'd be afraid that this steel taken down to 0.005" would fracture massively if the edge ever bound-up in something, given how like it is to cemented carbide...

Another thing i wonder - Maxamet's likeness to WC-Co also lends it to very hot working hardness, i.e. it doesn't lose its temper easily. From the datasheet: http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=103&e=84&c=techart

It is important to recognize that the carpenter test uses 1000'F/500'C specifically because a number of studies have shown this to be ABOVE the maximum temperature transferred to the cutting tool or work-piece during typical power-grinding dry (no coolant or lubrication). I have many times questioned assertions that power-sharpening (which isn't generally capable of getting anywhere even close to 500'C) necessarily generates sufficient heat to affect edge-temper - particularly since that would mean that cutting alot of cardboard would have the same affect - but here is a case where it wouldn't even matter :cool:

Well said Chiral.
My concerns about this steel reside elsewhere and notably are dealing with corrosion resistance and toughness.
The first easily addressable with i.e. TiAlN coating (well compatible with tempering range).
The second one gives me matter for serious thinking.....
Anyway 10V would still stand in a league of its own under both aspects and talking about carbon steels.

Question .........I dont see ZDP189 on your list ......... Have you ever tested any ?? ...... any opinion on it ??
Anybodys opinion is ok ........

Question .........I dont see ZDP189 on your list ......... Have you ever tested any ?? ...... any opinion on it ??
Anybodys opinion is ok ........

Tested it twice, both sections, Endura 4 at 65 HRC.

LOL..........I didnt see it the first time........... thanks for pointing it out.
I think it faired pretty well

ZDP189 on your list ......... any opinion on it ??
Anybody's opinion is ok ........

The one example I have in my Spyderco Dragonfly is stellar. It can chip cutting wire ties but as far as sharpening, how it feels when I test it on my fingernail after sharpening with my Edge Pro (sinks in a little more than others with a sickeningly satisfying bite) and longevity of EDC edge that makes me smile . . .

makes me think there was an anomaly in the Ankerson tests. I suppose there wasn't but . . .

Stock Manix 2 was thicker, was .030" behind the edge

That's generous.

I only recently learned how it should behave when I received a properly heat treated M390 blade.
SERIOUS difference . . . SERIOUS improvement over (my) S110V.

I've been ogling S110V blades for a year, getting closer & closer to pulling the trigger, but something held me back.

Second sense good judgement . . . you might want to take that to Wall street. Sounds like a terrible thing to waste.

In the movie Short Circuit Johnny 5 describes the relative resistance in the material of a hand gun he has just crushed compared to his end effector's grip strength "Plaaaaaaaaay dough." Reminds me of my Manix some how.

Perhaps I exaggerate . . . one thing is certain I wish it were ZDP-189.

Last edited:
I wonder if Spyderco went the high temper route on their latest run vs the low temper. Give up
Some corrosion resistance for more performance.

Hard to speculate really, I am just enjoying it. :D

The Military is a monster. :D :thumbup:

Back