Rat 3

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Hey everybody, I'm a first time poster here but I've had a Rat 3 in D2 for about 10+ years. I've also got a Rat 4 on the way.
My question to you all is, has anybody ever gotten some longer screws and added some kind of spacer material to give the grip a beefier feel? I'm 6'2 and I've hot some big paws. I could use some more handle.
Anybody?

I haven't, but it will work . What are you going to make spacers with?
Others have used plastic from things like Tide bottles. Kydex would also work & would be thicker.
Good luck let us know how it goes.

Hmmm.....I do have some black Kydex. This is just a thought for now. My life seems to have no spare time currently.
Of course I have some black canvas Micarta, if I only had some time.....
I just thought, I recently acquired a Blackbird and the slabs are quite beefy on that one??? Ontario??? What if you guys offered some options?

Last edited:
I fattened up my grips with a double layer of hockey tape. Makes them a bit grippier and fills the hand a bit better.

I do have medium size hands so this may not work for somebody with big paws.

Hmmm.....I do have some black Kydex. This is just a thought for now. My life seems to have no spare time currently.
Of course I have some black canvas Micarta, if I only had some time.....
I just thought, I recently acquired a Blackbird and the slabs are quite beefy on that one??? Ontario??? What if you guys offered some options?

This is one of the drawbacks of full scale manufacturing - we'd probably have a make a few thousand of them to do it effectively, so we'd really have to see some serious demand. That said, we occasionally discuss partnering with suppliers or custom makers to offer small numbers of them, or even just setting up a small custom shop within our facility. Thing is, neither of those has come to fruition yet.

So I guess to summarize - long term, I love the idea. Short term, you probably won't see it before you want those handles for yourself. Sorry I don't have a happier, "here they are" type answer on this, I'd honestly love to be able to do that with this one.

Well put and I understand your position. Maybe you should do a poll? Or maybe it would fall under the adage of, if you make it, they might buy it?

Well put and I understand your position. Maybe you should do a poll? Or maybe it would fall under the adage of, if you make it, they might buy it?

Probably the more realistic option is to figure out a way to get a small run of them and see how they sell. It's a fact of life that manufacturing is going toward small runs, but we're just not there yet. If I'd had this on my mind at Blade Show, I'm sure I could have found someone to partner with to make a small run of larger handles. Probably still can.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'll check into it on my end, but I'm just not in a spot where I can make promises on this one right now.

Back