Rat Worx MRX Chain Drive Auto Knife

Can any of you experienced users comment on the four blade designs offered by Ratworx? The blades offered are the Standard, Tanto, Reverse Edge (tanto style with a concave primary edge) and Recurve. I'm trying to decide which one to get and would like some opinions on which is most useful and any other input I can get. Thanks in advance...

Can any of you experienced users comment on the four blade designs offered by Ratworx? The blades offered are the Standard, Tanto, Reverse Edge (tanto style with a concave primary edge) and Recurve. I'm trying to decide which one to get and would like some opinions on which is most useful and any other input I can get. Thanks in advance...

The tanto blades provide a flat edge to cut with, useful as a chisel, and may provide greater thickness in the tip for increased durability when piercing/prying at the cost of penetration efficiency. There is also the secondary tip at the grind-transition, useful for shallow cuts, e.g. openning packages without damaging the contents.

Non-tanto, the belly has a continuous sweep so there is not secondary tip, a common preference for most cutting applications, skinning, carving, etc.

Recurve blades can be more challenging to properly sharpen as they require a narrow or curved hone, but that curve puts more of the blade in contact with soft, fibrous material like rope, and enhances the number of angles in the cut such that, on a slice or push, the blade grabs the material around the sides as well, very effective.

In my opinion, the standard or simply tanto blade shapes are the most useful for general cutting tasks and also the easiest to maintain. The recurve designs are more specialized. Also keep in mind that a tanto-style can be easily turned into a standard profile after sufficient wear to the grind-transition (i.e. "spanto") if it is desired. It would take more wear to turn the standard style into a tanto...

What a great thread!! Cool new knife design with ample gadget factor and nicely presented in both form and function. Knowledgeable knife enthusiasts pose some well founded questions and concerns to which the maker steps up to the plate, beats the living tar out of it in no uncertain terms and puts the questions to rest. Nobody got pissy, nobody took any offense, the questions were answered quickly, succinctly and with little room for doubt. Nicely done everybody. I'm thinking we're going to have to get our mitts on a few of those beasts. Can't wait to see what the new OTF has in store. If it's as ingenious and well thought out as this side opener it should be something to look forward to. How far out are the OTFs?

Well I've had mine for a week now and I'm very impressed. Solid piece of engineering with flawless fit and finish. I got the ground satin finish standard blade in S35VN and it is very reminiscent of a custom Emerson satin "look". A bit on the heavy side due to the chain and nested springs I assume, but when open, balance is very centered for the same reasons even with such thick blade stock. No hot spots to speak of even with a tight grip and carries small in the pocket although I would prefer a touch more tension in the clip. Got it directly from rat worx and shipping was very fast 2 day priority. All in all I'm very happy with it and I'm looking forward to perhaps a larger 5in version in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the info about this thread, wanna give it a quick bump because i think it's a very creative concept that deserves more attention.
If only more states repeal the auto knife laws...

Anyone know where to buy one? There is a link on Amazon to BladeRunner, LLC. Anyone know if they're legit? For this kind of money, I just want to be sure I don't buy a Chinese knockoff.

It is more metal than you think. It's black and goes around the silver metal. So it looks like it's small. I agree knives should not carve out that space.

I bought three off of Amazon my name is Tommy you can see my reviews. I always checkout people's rating before I buy a knife on there. Some companies even sell their knives on Amazon.

I love mine. Had for about 6 months now and this knife is solid and one of the smoothest opening autos I've ever handled. I'd like to see other autos put through the tests the mrx has been put through.

Back