Ratmandu...Just Right

What do you guys think?

The Ratmandu was my very first Busse experience, so it holds a special place. I still love it & use it today. It was just the perfect size blade for me, right thickness, tough as nails, and I love the profile/look of it. Handle fits great for my hands but also in a man's larger hand, like most Busse handles.

I recently got a new Ratmandu over the summer - July 2016 I received it. They streamlined it ever-so-slightly from the original version and it really works in its favor. We're talking minute adjustments. Blade height reduced a hair and a tad less "belly" to it. The original was a bit heavier, stockier in-hand. While I do love both, I do enjoy the look and feel of the "upgrade."

Oh yeah the Ratmandu is a winner for sure !!! I may just as well go order one now, what's one more lol
Great knife !! !!

I have one myself. It's probably the most comfortable knife I own, when my grip is choked up using the finger choil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My first Bussekin as well. One of the greats for sure.

ccc0TkS.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Mine is desert sage / tan handles. Have better pics just not uploaded yet, so here's what I have saved to start. Definitely one of my favorites of all that I own or have ever owned. Very comfortable.

My Du.jpgAmberDu.jpg

Thanks for the great responses, I was trying to breathe life back into the Swamp Rat forum. Swamp Rat is totally underrated these days. Busse Combat gets all the fun/posts.

I'd love to see one about 3/4 to an inch smaller all the way around. that would be a the perfect edc I think.

Thanks for the great responses, I was trying to breathe life back into the Swamp Rat forum. Swamp Rat is totally underrated these days. Busse Combat gets all the fun/posts.

That's 'cause Bravado has taken time off the forum

I had one for a little while and sold it to finance another Bussekin to try.

It's on my list of must haves now - sure is a sweet knife!

Regards,
Dicko.

I had one for a little while and sold it to finance another Bussekin to try.

It's on my list of must haves now - sure is a sweet knife!

Regards,
Dicko.

If you're looking actively, you could probably find one on the Exchange here for a good deal. Not that they're expensive (especially compared to it's sibling Bussekin) but I've seen a ton of them come & go regularly here.

Mine lives beside the couch.......always within arms reach. Great for kitchen work as well!!! Love it!

Oh yeah, I think it's a good size, good shape, good handle, everything. Reminds me I need to get photos of mine.

Its the only Busse/Kin I have left. My only complaints are the handle is a bit to thin and I don't feel a blade this size needs a choil.

Its the only Busse/Kin I have left. My only complaints are the handle is a bit to thin and I don't feel a blade this size needs a choil.

Yeah, you know at first I thought the same about the handle being a tad thin when I just held it a few times. But, after using it I think it actually fits for the rest of the knife's proportions. Maybe because my hands are smaller, being a woman, but it seems just right for me. Only thing that could make it better would be if it had more of a curve to it, like the handle on the SHE2 CG.

The choil I don't mind, I think it looks good. I am actually glad it has a choil because it makes things much easier for sharpening. I don't like when no-choil blades just trail off directly to the handle without at least a little "sharpening choil/notch" put in between.

Love mine, have an infidu as well. It fits the hand well, even my friends with larger hands like it for controlability

Yeah, you know at first I thought the same about the handle being a tad thin when I just held it a few times. But, after using it I think it actually fits for the rest of the knife's proportions. Maybe because my hands are smaller, being a woman, but it seems just right for me. Only thing that could make it better would be if it had more of a curve to it, like the handle on the SHE2 CG.

The choil I don't mind, I think it looks good. I am actually glad it has a choil because it makes things much easier for sharpening. I don't like when no-choil blades just trail off directly to the handle without at least a little "sharpening choil/notch" put in between.

I just have stupid hands, long fingers but a narrow palm. Mine was a gift so its not going anywhere but as soon as the custom shop starts taking new orders I will likely get some liners put on it.

I have also thought about trying out a Beefmandu to see if the 1/4 inch stock helps.

I just have stupid hands, long fingers but a narrow palm. Mine was a gift so its not going anywhere but as soon as the custom shop starts taking new orders I will likely get some liners put on it.

I have also thought about trying out a Beefmandu to see if the 1/4 inch stock helps.

Lol I understand...I think that would be a great idea on both counts - liners could probably fatten up the Ratmandu a bit for you since it doesn't have a "swell" in the middle like some of the other hand-filler Busses. I'm hoping that CS gets open soon, I have a job or two that I've been dying to get done for the past year & change.

I'm not too familiar with the Beefmandu other than what I've seen/read the specs online. Never seen or held one in person so I can't give you much advice on that one. From what I've read, I do think it would be an option worth thinking about for the thicker stock but still keeps it in the 'Mandu' family.

Back