Ratting

I was wondering if anyone does any ratting, what techniques do you use?

I got this one a few weeks ago.

IMG_0561_zpsr7d23n4e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't know if there is much in the way of Ratting here in the U.S. I hear NYC could use some help. ;)

Rats are smart, when a dairy farm closed down the farm over from me, I had a small pack try to take up residence in my outbuildings. They wouldn't get in snap traps at all, I only caught young ones in live traps. Poison was out due to pets. Finally I just made sure there was nothing at all they could eat, like dog food, or even fallen nuts outside and after a hard winter I never saw another one.

Thanks, I thought you had a couple of rat species. So what vermin do you have?

We have the Norway rats, pack rats which are a native rat, unlike the former, house mice and white footed deer mice, also native unlike the common gray house mouse. Plus, harvest mice, voles and many other native variations, none of which are as big of pest as the European mice and Norway rats, which arrived here with the first ships of white people.

We have the Norway rats, pack rats which are a native rat, unlike the former, house mice and white footed deer mice, also native unlike the common gray house mouse. Plus, harvest mice, voles and many other native variations, none of which are as big of pest as the European mice and Norway rats, which arrived here with the first ships of white people.

Thanks Jill, in a way I'm glad this thread hasn't taken off because it shows they're not so much of a problem.
Over here they're everywhere and it's all out war on them.

Farmers around here have had problems in the past with them, especially when ear corn was kept in open "cribs" instead of solid steel grain bins. I used to shoot them in the barn with a .22 loaded with rat shot, or my pellet gun. One time I got one down at the pit silo, and he took two shots from my .45!

They tend to tunnel and dig under the foundations of smaller buildings. Some guys would hook a hose up to the exhaust pipe of their car/truck & put it in the tunnel to gas 'em out. Or they'd do similar with anhydrous ammonia, or put a garden hose in the tunnel & everyone waited with shovels to smack 'em as they ran out other openings.

We used to trap them in barrels in the fed shed.

When I relocate to the PI, I hope to get into hunting using an air rifle and small bow :) I have seen some there big as opposums. Hmmmm sorry possum.

I do pest control now....snap traps with peanut butter, Nutella or natural fruit juice gummibears.....in places where they have access to meat/grease the Gummi work

Trap with chicken scratch in them work well for me. Also the occasional .22 with rat shot for the brave ones that just look at you like "what you doin in my house fool?"

Thanks for the replies.

When I was a kid I lived in an old farm house that was over run with rats, and I've had an interest ever since.

I can highly recommend a book called "Tales of a Rat Hunting Man" by Brian Plummer. It should be on Amazon, it's funny and informative. He bred his own breed of terrier (the Plummer) that is supposed to be the best all around ratting dog in the UK, very leggy high energy dogs. He became a household name when his ferret bit a tv talk show host in the 1970's (I think the clip is on youtube search "Richard Whitely out takes ferret").

Are there American breeds of ratting dogs?

Air rifle hunting with night vision is popular over here, my brother in-law goes to nearby farms in Wales and asks them if they have a problem and if they would mind him doing a bit of pest control for rats, pigeons and rabbits. He and his friend shoot 50 rats a night. Which is nothing really, someone on another forum shoots 1500 over a few sessions.

A sure cure for rats:

Its rattastic.

[video=youtube;fIRFgpzEHvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRFgpzEHvM[/video]

[video=youtube;e_DB2F4V0GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DB2F4V0GQ[/video]

I live in Nyc the city is over run with norway rats. They are big! In my apartment we get mice in the winter. For mice i use figure 4 deadfalls with peanut butter for bait. The work great.. a friend of mine has some property that has a ton of rats. Rats generally are not as suceptible to the fig.4 as mice. However i have had great luck getting them with paiute deadfalls, as they are more sensitive

Brad "the butcher";16974576 said:
trapped one 7 years ago in a starch warehouse it was 20 in nose to tail and was 3 oz shy of 6 lb

That's a pygmy hippo you caught! Christ man, how big were the teeth?

A sure cure for rats:

Its rattastic.

[video=youtube;fIRFgpzEHvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRFgpzEHvM[/video]

[video=youtube;e_DB2F4V0GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DB2F4V0GQ[/video]

Can't watch youtube on my laptop because it freezes, I'll watch them on my phone. Severn valley plummer ratters is a good one to watch.

I live in Nyc the city is over run with norway rats. They are big! In my apartment we get mice in the winter. For mice i use figure 4 deadfalls with peanut butter for bait. The work great.. a friend of mine has some property that has a ton of rats. Rats generally are not as suceptible to the fig.4 as mice. However i have had great luck getting them with paiute deadfalls, as they are more sensitive

Awesome! Do you get any accidental species (presuming you do it outdoors) caught in the paiute traps?

That big female rats teeth were 3/4 in and coat was glossy like a show rat......eating starch and the workers food garbage plus they shipped by rail so grain car spillage really packs the beef on them

Ya all never been to a RSVP rat killin??? Grew up with a drunk pop that ran a seed business. RATS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! Until me and 3 school chums 4 pitbulls and a LOT of scoopshovels and .410s mopped them!!! Sorry for trip down memory lane.... Best bet to stop rats is stop their food source and u stop rats Thanks Mongo

Back