Real Steel Megalodon flipper

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Recently got this from a friend out west, thanks Raj! while the photos I saw on the net did not move me to buy, in real life I like this folder a great deal, blade shape, grind to a thin edge, thicker handle and a sliding safety lock mech that is unobtrusive and seems to work. Raj has the black G10 while I kept the orange one, he had them both sent out here first for me to choose either flavor and of course, check them out ;)

Real Steel Megalodon flipper, bearings for pivot system

some specs

In the box is a slip of paper with the spec's of the knife and a thank you for buying this knife, also the knife is wrapped in a grey microfiber cloth embossed with the Real Steel logo and name

Blade: 3.93" Handle: 4.75"

Blade Steel: 14C28N Stainless Steel

Blade Thickness: 0.14"

Edge thickness at top of edge bevel: approx. .017"

Handle Material: G10 in either Black or Orange, slight texturing but I feel could be a little more gritty, personal taste of course.

Handle Thickness: 0.54"

Width from spine down to center of guard area: just a bit over 5/8"

Locking Mechanism: Liner Lock with additional safety lock on the spine of the handle

Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Right Carry

Weight: 4.4 oz.

Here's a shot of the two of them, the clip as you can see is a bit different than most, has a widening area that looks like it would help with retention, also the clip is well made and all the edges are rounded and smooth, nothing to cut into your pants pocket.

IMG_6552 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Very well ground blade, no waves or ripples on this,

IMG_6562 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

On the spine of the handle is a small slide lock that prevents the liner lock from closing accidentally, here it is shown in the locked position

IMG_6558 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and on the inside you can see this tab is towards the left, blocking the liner from moving over

IMG_6556 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And when you slide it back, it brings the tab back and there is a cut out in the liner lock that the tab passes through when you go to release the liner lock

IMG_6553 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

at the end of the knife is a lanyard hole that they put into a spacer, it can spin so it's not locked in place, BUT it's pretty tricky to get full size paracord through that hole! The way I managed was to remove the inner strands about an inch from the end and tied on a strong piece of thread to that now thin section and pull that through the hole and then you can pull the paracord through the hole.

IMG_6561 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Here's a lanyard tied onto my orange one, also you can see that the steel liners have been drilled out to lessen the overall weight of the folder.

IMG_6560 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Opens great, flips smoothly and locks up solid. The sandvik steel takes a razor's edge and being thinly ground, it slices easly.

There is a 'fancier' version with Ti scales and m390 steel but of course, the cost travels higher with those premium parts, but I would say this should do just about anything you may need in an EDC folder.

G2

Last edited:
I have just received the 2017 ti version and i am very impressed with the action and quality of materials used on this knife. I think the action is as good or better than some of my higher end knives.

Nice Mike, I wondered how thin those blades were ground down, can you measure the edge bevel at the shoulder of the bevel?

Also forgot to make mention that this folder does ride on the 'infamous' bearings, Seems most that you get now a days will have bearings as standard issue, although a few may still make washer type pivot systems, but, that controversy is for another thread altogether ;)

G2

Gary, excellent pictures.Very nice ones showing the "liner lock" mechanism.
You did a nice job on the lanyard.Heard some reviewers saying it was not easy to get a paracord thru the lanyard hole and you have gone and done a fine job on that.

Thanks RJ, it was tough to get through there, but it is doable, ya gotta want to do it I suppose is the difference ;) and, I do like a lanyard on my knives for several reasons.

G2

I have one of S-Series versions (the M390 and full Ti construction) of the Megalodon, and it's top notch all around. It's my first Real Steel, but I picked up an H5 Gerfalcon as recently and it's quite nice for the price (although I did have to return the first one since it was a dud). I'm really excited to see what Real Steel is going to do in the future.

Gary, after reading your review on the "Sea Eagle", I bought one. One of the best knife values out there, IMHO. This company seems to really have their act together. The action is WAAAY smoother than my Spyderco Positron (new model w/orange G10). The only problem I have with it, it did not have a thin grind at all, and has a .140" thick spine. I wish it was thinner, with a thinner grind. However, that being said, these knives are a great value and will handle a variety of tasks. Thanks for your write-up on this model. I've had my eyes on Real Steel since your Sea Eagle review, and most of their product line appeals to me. Especially using some newer steels like M390. Even tho, 14c28n is an excellent, excellent steel.

You're most welcome and I would rate this above the Sea Eagle for several reasons but one being that it is ground thinner, that plus the thicker handle fills the hand better, for me at least. And the14c28n takes a very nice edge too.

Those of you that have the Ti version with m390 blade, would you check how thick the edge bevel is? I hate to put the money out only to have it come in thicker than this one :(

G2

there is also a carson tech version called the "boiling". Its very close to the ti version but lacks that locking thing and has s35vn. Normally around $150.

Thanks Gary. 14C28N is a budget steel winner in my book.
How much do these go for?

Just received the 2017 ti version yesterday and it flips wonderfully, perfect detent and extremely light considering it's an almost 4" blade, due to the extensive milling on the inside of the frame.

I believe it runs on roller bearings. Very smooth flipper!

Thanks Purpledc here a link to the Knife Center they are a paid dealer here on Bladeforums

And the Ti Version that, now several of you have posted, can someone get a measurement of how thick the edge bevel is on those? At over $200 I hate to spend and then not like the grind thickness.

G2

Thanks Purpledc here a link to the Knife Center they are a paid dealer here on Bladeforums

And the Ti Version that, now several of you have posted, can someone get a measurement of how thick the edge bevel is on those? At over $200 I hate to spend and then not like the grind thickness.

G2

I don't have any measuring devices but it does seem to be a very thin edge bevel.
And they can be had for less than 200.00. ;)

Thanks sechip, if it's ground as well as these sandvik ones, that'll be great ;)
G2

One thing I've noticed, both on this orange one as well as the black one, there is a small squeal as you flip the blade out, I'm guessing it is the detent ball bearing gliding over the blade's tang that is making this sound? But both knives do it but on the close you don't hear it, which goes to the detent ball I think. It's not TOO annoying ;) but wanted to let others know this may be a common trait with this folder.
G2

Great pictures and review Gary!

I picked up one of the black G10 versions.

I was unaware of the secondary safety lock until reading about it above.

The Megalodon looks like a cross between a Kershaw Skyline and Shirogorov custom knives.

Mine also has the squeling when opening too.

Overall, I am quite pleased with it.

I hope that they offer it in other colors besides the orange and black G10.

I am considering the high-end framelock version too.

Thanks, my friend was the one that clued me into this one, so, the blame lies at his doorsteps ;) but, if he had not done so, I may have never given this one much thought, until you handle it and cut with it, you may not realize what a well thought out knife it is. I took mine to the stones last night and that sandvik sure does get sharp!

G2

I carry the Bushcraft folder. They make really nice knives. Great review!

Yes, this is a great knife.

The only problem I have had so far is the blade not staying centered.

I will have to loctite the pivot.

Back