Real Steel Megalodon flipper

Great review! This looks very good but I prefer the raised thumbramp on the Steel Eagle, If only they made THAT in better steel, I would be ecstatic!

Thanks guys, and GCG199 I haven't noticed that on mine yet but will keep a watch out for that, thanks for the tip.

And fishface5, I really liked the Sea Eagle also, but the thin handles finally did it in for me, otherwise a great blade shape!

And for the price these are at, I think they are a Real Steel...sorry, couldn't resist ;)

G2

I did end up getting one of the Ti versions, also a very nice knife, VERY smooth flipper and solid lockup,
Some differences between the G10 and this Ti version

Price, yep, you knew that was going to be there, it's quite a bit above but with that you do get needle bearings for the pivot mech, Ti frame lock and M390 steel, all add up to be worth the extra price tag

the blade is a smidgen longer than the G10 versions

the blade grind is slightly thicker and as you can see ground a bit different, I am getting about .023" at the edge bevel where the G10 I'm getting about .017" so that's a good bit thicker, but, it is still pretty thinly ground compared to a lot of folders out there, it does cut well.

Handle, the thickness of the handle is thinner than the G10, and of course being Ti it is a little smoother, but the contours provide adequate grip, I do like the thicker G10 handles myself though.

Overall, these are BOTH excellent value knives, highly recommend either one.

RealSteel_2017_clip by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Here you can see the Real Steel emblem engraved into the Ti, also please note in the guard area, they did a very nice means of adding texture to the lock bar, it makes it very positive way of unlocking the folder, nicely done! Also as with the G10 version, the flipper tab had just enough jimping to provide a positive action to flip the blade open.

RealSteel_2017_emblem by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Blade is cleaner, less billboarding done, which is nice for a change

RealSteel_2017_open by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Again, both are excellent knives, the G10 has what some consider a lower grade steel, but, it is a razor blade type steel and really takes that type of edge, it may need sharpening sooner than the M390, but for the price difference it may be worth it to you.

G2

Hi Gary, nice pictures as usual. Thanks for the comparison. I agree with you on preferring a thicker handle. Wish the titanium handles were as thick or slightly thicker than the G-10 handles. Makes for a much better grip.

Hello Gary,

I'm starting to review the Megalodon Ti 2017 I have received yesterday on the Nemo Knives Review: Enter The Dragon !

Here some exclusive images for the bladeforums:

20170331_141558_zpszqj4dmea.jpg

20170331_141553_zpslkehkhia.jpg

20170331_135713_zpszoelojo5.jpg

20170331_141314_zpsta6cyuqt.jpg

Other are displayed on my instagram.

More to come as it's now my EDC.

I have already started to thin the edge. At least I have pass on the sandpaper to put away the shoulder.
Thinning the edge will be a long process on M390 !!

Very well done, thank you for adding to this thread!
G2

Gary as always it is a pleasure to read your review and to take a look at your pictures, thank you for all the time you commit to this to share with us.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Thank you for the review. I have the H5 Gerfalcon, in my pocket now. Real steel makes a nice flipper.

After reading this thread and finding thaty they run for less than 70€ including postage (Ebay, from France)... I will probably end up buying one. I am all out for budget folders, full flat ground blades and G10... Thanks Gary!

I just ordered a 2017 ti version... was looking for more info and found a review where they quoted a blogger...

The brand was created in 2013 by the same people who brought you Sanrenmu knives.
Those folks saw the factory, that produced good quality OEM knives for American companies and cheap, but well made budget “original” design knives and thoughty it could be something bigger.
At first, they based on the same designers, that produced Sanrenmu original knives, the most known of them is Liang Gang, that designed some of SRM’s best known models. That is the reason that some of RealSteel’s designs look a lot like the Sanrenmu models (probably are the same, but with different branding).
Their breakthrough (in my opinion) came when they started working with Huang Liang Zhi, better known by the name Carson (Tech Labs). His designs were well known to the people who are interested in Chinese knives, but the quality of his knives is incredible, and second to none (maybe except some of Kevin John work).
Together they made an aluminium version of the Carson Griffin and also released his boiling flipper design under the name Megalodon (probably just put RealSteel logo on the Carson made knife).
There has been some conspiracy on YouTube lately, claiming that Carson has sold his knifemaking factory to RealSteel, but that information was proven to be wrong and was just speculation of one specific Youtuber with big imagination. Carson himself took a photo with his knives to prove this wrong.”

Gotta say this is a really good knife from real steel.

only issue i have is sometimes i put my fingers on the lockbar due to where it is and how skinny that part of the knife is.

Gary, I'm curious. After six months, did either of these knives become a "keeper" for you? If so, are they still getting pocket time? I've been considering picking up a Megalodon after hearing some bad things about the premium 2017 Griffin (which I loved as a cheap knife...)

Thanks in advance.

With me, nothing is ever a certainty ;) and with these knives that is for sure, well, almost.... Short answer no, neither model was kept but have moved on to new homes.

Longer answer, I'd pick up one of the G10 ones again if one showed up on the forums and of course I had the dollars at the time, as that was, for me, a very nice knife. The blade on the G10 models are ground thinner so that is what would tip the scales between the more expensive model, if the Ti one had the same blade, I'd go for that one but those seem to be left a bit thicker edged than I like. NOW, my not liking the one over the other is purely a personal opinion and I am sure there are those that prefer a little beefier edge, it wasn't overly thick but just thicker than the G10 so my expectations were dashed when it arrived and found it to be that way.

Right now I am down to just a few folders, we recently moved, long boring story on that (read traumatic) but during the process we 'cut' down on everything we owned to prepare for the move but I had been working to keep only a very few knives anyways so that worked in my favour.

As usual, I do miss almost every knife I've owned, my "Collection" is spread around the world :)

So for me, I do give the G10 versions a big thumbs up and the Ti version not as big a thumb but still nice.
G2

found this for those looking for wood working tests.

Gary, I'm curious. After six months, did either of these knives become a "keeper" for you? If so, are they still getting pocket time? I've been considering picking up a Megalodon after hearing some bad things about the premium 2017 Griffin (which I loved as a cheap knife...)

Thanks in advance.
ive been carrying mine recently. i like the blade alot. its not delica thin at the top, but its still thin at the cutting edge and tapers.
just posted a video on the action on my IG if you want to look. its been in my rotation but its not something ive had for too long tho.

Last edited:
found this for those looking for wood working tests.

ive been carrying mine recently. i like the blade alot. its not delica thin at the top, but its still thin at the cutting edge and tapers.
just posted a video on the action on my IG if you want to look. its been in my rotation but its not something ive had for too long tho.
Thanks, Mo. I've liked the Megalodon design since it was first...a Carson Labs design...I think? I appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: Mo2
With me, nothing is ever a certainty ;) and with these knives that is for sure, well, almost.... Short answer no, neither model was kept but have moved on to new homes.

Longer answer, I'd pick up one of the G10 ones again if one showed up on the forums and of course I had the dollars at the time, as that was, for me, a very nice knife. The blade on the G10 models are ground thinner so that is what would tip the scales between the more expensive model, if the Ti one had the same blade, I'd go for that one but those seem to be left a bit thicker edged than I like. NOW, my not liking the one over the other is purely a personal opinion and I am sure there are those that prefer a little beefier edge, it wasn't overly thick but just thicker than the G10 so my expectations were dashed when it arrived and found it to be that way.

Right now I am down to just a few folders, we recently moved, long boring story on that (read traumatic) but during the process we 'cut' down on everything we owned to prepare for the move but I had been working to keep only a very few knives anyways so that worked in my favour.

As usual, I do miss almost every knife I've owned, my "Collection" is spread around the world :)

So for me, I do give the G10 versions a big thumbs up and the Ti version not as big a thumb but still nice.
G2
Thanks for the quick answer! That's one of the reasons I can't seem to bring myself to liquidate knives...it'd feel like ex-girlfriends spread all over the world :)

I have just received the 2017 ti version and i am very impressed with the action and quality of materials used on this knife. I think the action is as good or better than some of my higher end knives.
I have three Real Steels and the action on all three is fantastic. Even on the $44 H6 (you may want to know which H6 there must be 15) I even have the H6-S6 and the action on my H6-Plus is just as smooth. The greatest thing about them is that the lockbars are very easy to to use,they are not as stiff as many other framelocks that I own.

Their are now a few of the Chinese high end companies that have value line that are pretty amazing for the price, Kizer Vanguard line, WE knives (they don't have a designation for it but they are all exactly $100.00
I have the 703E. Very nice for the price. I realized that the hunt for only American made knives is a futile effort because many of the knives I wanted were made by U.S. companies in China anyway.
These are likely to be the same factories that make knives for American companies. I have 5 Spyderco knives from Tai Chung Taiwan and I think their fit and finish is better than Golden Colorado. The main complaint for the Taiwanese knives is that it has sharp edges, I happen to like it that way. By the way this month I had to return 2 ZT's for bearing issues. I have only sent back only one Chinese knife in the past year and all they did was ask me to send It to California, No long speech about dismantling and and such. They even sent me the scale color for the one I originally wanted. Sometimes communication is tough because most of them don't have
phone #. My collection is 2/3 from American made companies but quite a few of the are made overseas. Those American companies that manufacture here better somehow get their stuff together because the Chinese are coming fast and hard and it is our fault for going over there and teaching them how to make good quality stuff, look @ the Iphone made in China. Need I say more.

Their are now a few of the Chinese high end companies that have value line that are pretty amazing for the price, Kizer Vanguard line, WE knives (they don't have a designation for it but they are all exactly $100.00
I have the 703E. Very nice for the price. I realized that the hunt for only American made knives is a futile effort because many of the knives I wanted were made by U.S. companies in China anyway.
These are likely to be the same factories that make knives for American companies. I have 5 Spyderco knives from Tai Chung Taiwan and I think their fit and finish is better than Golden Colorado. The main complaint for the Taiwanese knives is that it has sharp edges, I happen to like it that way. By the way this month I had to return 2 ZT's for bearing issues. I have only sent back only one Chinese knife in the past year and all they did was ask me to send It to California, No long speech about dismantling and and such. They even sent me the scale color for the one I originally wanted. Sometimes communication is tough because most of them don't have
phone #. My collection is 2/3 from American made companies but quite a few of the are made overseas. Those American companies that manufacture here better somehow get their stuff together because the Chinese are coming fast and hard and it is our fault for going over there and teaching them how to make good quality stuff, look @ the Iphone made in China. Need I say more.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. Lots of great, new options for knives. I've heard that Custom Knife Forge is coming out with a budget line. That might be scary good! This is a kind of renaissance for knife knuts.

I continue to carry a RealSteel H6-S1 on a semi-regular basis. It's a great knife for the money! RealSteel is also offering some interesting fixed blade bushcraft knives that look compelling.

Thanks for this thread Gary. As a follow-up, I read in different reviews, the Ti Megalodon 2017 version had needle bearings and double row ceramics. I emailed Real Steel about this, and was told the first run did have needle bearings. Apparently there was a problem in obtaining additional so the latter versions were made with ceramic bearings. BHQ had these on sale for $150. A great knife at that price. Smooth, excellent detent, no hot spots, excellent materials and f&f. Even at the normal $207 price, this is a very good knife.

Back