Recommendation? Recommend me a flashlight

BP_

Platinum Member
Looking for a new EDC flashlight. Something for $100 or less.

I currently carry a Streamlight Pro Tac 1L that takes a CR123 battery at 275 lumens

-I need something bright and compact
-I'm good with either 1 or 2 CR123's
-Durable (somehow im harder on flashlights than I am on knives :D)

I know very little. As you suggest them I will be looking them up. Hopefully pick up whichever some suits me best as soon as I find it. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Check out the Olight SR1 Baton. It is a little powerhouse. Well within your budget.

Thanks. It seems like the S1 and S2 are little powerhouses for their size, just looked them up. I don't know about quality or longevity so I'll do some more research.

Look at the Surefire Titan Plus. The msrp is $100 exactly. That one has 3 settings with a max of 300 lumens. It does however take a AAA battery instead of a 123. I realize this isn't much brighter than what you have now. Difference is the TP seems to have a wider coverage area (wider beam) than my ProTac does.

I like that it's so small but packs power. That's essentially what I'm looking for. It's also on sale for just under $100 right now :thumbsup:

The AAA isn't a deal breaker, I just figured I would throw out the 123's because from what I understand they provide more power/light. Plus, I already own plenty of those :cool:

300 lumens out of a AAA isn't bad at all though, considering my 123 is 275.

Olight baton series.
They are not the best but they are perfect and useful. They do have side buttons and not everyone likes that but I love mine.

Other than that I try and get 18650 sized torches these days. Bigger but for me a better battery.

I own/owned quite a few small edc flashlights by different companies. I've paid really good money for a few of them. Ultimately, the one I use daily is the cheapest (money) of the bunch. I really wanted to like some of them, but all the ones I paid more for, have features I don't need and actually make them less useful (for my needs).
Streamlight microstream - 1 AAA
- simple on/off tail switch
- S clip allows it to be mounted to brim of
hat as a headlamp
- momentary on/off by not depressing
Switch fully
- shock and water resistant (mine is three years old, used daily and has been through the wash twice).

And its $20.00
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but I would recommend you get one anyway. It'll probably become your go to edc flashlight.

I carry the S1 Baton. Thing has been a tank in a small package with great output. Can't beat the price either if you get the standard black version.

Seem like Olight and Streamlight are the way to go for budget but good quality lights. I'll probably give the Olight a try, but I'd really like to pick up a Surefire as well. I liked its size to power ratio. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

Seem like Olight and Streamlight are the way to go for budget but good quality lights. I'll probably give the Olight a try, but I'd really like to pick up a Surefire as well. I liked its size to power ratio. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

The positive and negative for the s1 baton and similar lights is the battery. Allows longer run times and better output, but non-standard battery can be trickier to find and replace depending on where you are, etc.

I've carried the Olight S1 baton for almost a year and really like it, perfect size for your pocket and reliable.

I already have plenty of CR123 batteries, so that wouldn't be a problem. I ordered a bunch for my other light, and have more than enough left. :thumbsup:

I think I might go ahead and try one out. For the price I don't think I'll be too disappointed. My Streamlight was about the same price, so if it's close it quality and output, I think I'll be satisfied enough.

I would say the Surefires are well built reliable lights most any model ... but I would suggest a look at Fenix Flashlights I have several ... they have models in every price range and battery type ... they have good lumens seem to not burn through batteries as fast as some ... and several models that will take AA or rechargables and some in the next step that take either the CR123 or a 18650 rechargable ... but the brightness and throw on some models are impressive ... and most have modes for brightness and strobe some even red blue or green option by mode change.

Last edited:
Don't own one but check out zebra Liighs they have some nice lights at that price range .

Now be warned I'm not a flashlight guy myself, I mean I carry one in the truck just incase, but the rest I keep in the house, only using them to scan the yard for unwanted vermin before I take my pup out.

My brother showed me one he picked up a while back, a Zebra Light SC600, I believe it was, and it impressed me. It's a solid little flashlight, beats some of my bigger ones in lumens. Lots of little features that could come in handy.

I would say right now I'm between that Fenix PD32 and the Olight S2. Thoughts?

I liked the zebra, but it wasn't quite doing it for me aesthetically as much as the other two.

I would say right now I'm between that Fenix PD32 and the Olight S2. Thoughts?

I liked the zebra, but it wasn't quite doing it for me aesthetically as much as the other two.

Who chooses a flashlight on looks!? Lol, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. We all have our preference.

Reactions: BP_
Back